GA question : Can I set up goal tracking with GA Monster insights plugin?

Degree
Hi guys, still pretty new to this IM thing . So I have this site running about 2 years and I only installed google analytics monster insights plugin for analytics.I'm trying to fix up goal tracking for the site but if I want to do it with the plugin its not gonna be free as it requires an add on. Would it be possible to insert the code on my contact page manually without getting a double count from the plugin itself? What are my best options apart from google tag manager!

I'm assuming you're using Wordpress here, since I see a Wordpress version of that plugin.

I hate to tell you to add another plugin, but that's one way you can solve this. I use this plugin and can testify that it works well and has no security issues (at this time... always the danger of a plugin).

The plugin is called Plugin Organizer by Jeff Sterup.

You can do a handful of things with this plugin, one of which is to engage or disengage plugins globally, across all posts and all pages, controlled separately.

Here's an example of how it would work. Suppose you're using Contact Form 7, which loads the javascript and CSS files it needs across all 1000 pages of your site, when you only need it on a single page - your contact page. So what you would do is disengage this plugin globally on all posts, pages, custom post types, etc. Then you'd go to edit your contact page and scroll down to see the new meta boxes for the Plugin Organizer. You'd see that Contact Form 7 is disabled globally, but you could choose to enable it just for that one post. And boom, now it only loads it's assets on that page and not across the whole site.

You want to do the same thing for your Monster Insights plugin, but the inverse. You want it globally enabled, but then you want to disable it on the contact page only.

Try to follow these steps generally and it'll guide you through:
  1. So on the main Settings page you'd turn everything OFF except "Selective Plugin Loading."
  2. Nothing should change, which you can confirm on the Global Plugins page. Everything is as it was.
  3. Go to the page that lets you edit your contact page and scroll down to the new meta boxes for Plugin Organizer. If you can't see them, check the drop down menu at the top that lets you select and deselect meta boxes, called Screen Options. Make sure Plugin Organizer is checked. When you scroll back down you may have to tick off "Override Post Type Settings" to access the next part.
  4. In "Available Items," drag Monster Insights over to "Disabled Standard - All Users" on the right side. It'll turn off Monster Insights for that page only. Make sure to save the changes.
  5. Add your event tracking like you normally would without a plugin. Now you won't double track traffic.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you run into any issues.

Hey ryuzaki, I'll try this out now its really incredible how you made this so "beginner friendly" and actionable for me.Hopefully this plugin runs well with my site :wink:. I was actually about to uninstall the plugin from monster and try to implement a gtm installation on my own which seems rather doable as well just that I lose all historical moving forward which sucks! But this seems like a way to hack around it and get the best of both worlds, and yeah I am in fact using contact form 7 , was gonna try to track that.
This has been so helpful. Can't wait to join the others in the main forums once i get my likes down.

Back