Framework/CMS for content aggregation site with Content Recommendation Engine

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
I want to have a long term hobby project creating a content aggregation site which would have some sort of content recommendation engine. I also want it to be secure with regards to data and GDPR compliant, no tracking and the like.

It would be a combination of content curation (done by me) and content submission (like Reddit).

It should be possible to integrate different content types, such as video, tweets, facebook posts, memes etc in one system.

The goal of the project is as much learning as it is to create a viable platform for this niche, that could become sort of self sufficient over time.

I've considered Django, since I already know Python, and Drupal, because it is often used for this kind of thing.

As a learning experience, I have also considered React, Node etc.

What do you think would be a good choice?

Reddit used to be open source. That sounds about like what you want, stripped down to maybe just one section with submissions and voting enabled. Then you can tweak the decay algorithms to taste. It's built on Python. You should be able to design it with CSS if you're good so it's unrecognizable.

I wouldn't reinvent the wheel here. You'll learn plenty by working with an existing platform. Unless you just want to reinvent the wheel and it's not entirely about making money.

I didn't know that. Reddit open source could definitely do the trick, with a few tweaks here and there, though it's not quite what I want. I want more of a traditional news setup graphically for the editorial content, but with a voting system similar to Reddit, so there is both an editorializing of content (done by me) and a user vote to showcase more or less of similar content. It should also have the ability for a personalized feed without too much difficulty. I also want the ability to embed SoMe posts directly into a front page.

Something like this might be a starting point, unless you're trying to avoid wp (Seems like you might be looking for something a little more custom than an out-of-the-box theme): https://bimber.bringthepixel.com/relink/

It comes with a plugin for managing user submitted content, too

Check out Plausible.io for analytics without the tracking issues

Back