For hired writers, how do you outline blog templates for hired writers for complex topics?

Degree
How do you outline blog templates for complex topics for hired writers?

I find it very tough to outline complex topics to hired writers. Half the time I end up writing most of the article in attempts to explain how it should be written.

Is there any way to really solve for this? Maybe just have the hired writers cover the topic best they can with less direction, then go back and do a large edit of what they research?

...or do you guys skip outsourcing and write the complex, super in depth content yourself?

I’m stuck here: I want to hire more writers, but many posts seems too in depth/complex for even those very well adept to the niche to cover. (Long tail keywords are partially to blame I suppose)

Am I the only one that has dealt with this issue? Perhaps my paradigm on this matter needs to be shifted.

I’m okay with blunt, tough criticism if its truly helpful.

Here are some things that have worked for me. I'm just tossing out ideas here so cherry pick whatever resonates with you, discard the rest. I really hope you follow-up because I'm very curious to know how you end up solving this problem!

Part of it is about realizing that you aren't the only person on the planet who can write about these topics (let go of the reigns a bit), so there's a certain amount of trusting your process and trusting your writers, especially if you're paying them decent and they've been doing a good job thus far. It's the only way to scale. It's a give and take. Part of it is that you need to let them do their thing, and then the other part is working to refine that as you go. Stick to the same writer(s) for these complex topics and let them learn and improve. They'll figure it out, you did! It's an investment and it will pay dividends over time.

Even if it's something complex, try to keep your instructions on the simple side so your writers don't get overwhelmed with 1000 variables to try to keep track of everything. Certain parts of it will simply be better to edit/fix up yourself than trying to explain too much at once. Bite the bullet on those but take notes while you edit. I like to do a bit less guidance on the first article, then more guidance on the second one, even more guidance on the third one. It helps to ramp up the specificity so that it's not too overwhelming at the start. This is not easy to do, it's a skill you will need to develop for yourself if it doesn't come naturally.

If you use Google Docs, you can show them the edits you make after they submit the article. This will help them understand what you're looking for and will ensure that you aren't making the same edits to the same things over and over with each article. Your editing process will get quicker and quicker and soon, they'll just have it down and they'll know what you want. In Google Docs they can see the edits and you can also add notes, too. They can click each note to verify that they've seen it and they can also ask questions. Involve your writers in the editing process directly. You can also just give them the notes and have them do the edits yourself. Notice how each subsequent article will require less and less notes - I can almost guarantee this will be the case.

Make sure they know the purpose of the article. Knowing the objective will help them hit it. Explain to them why it's such a complex topic that requires extra care.

Show examples of other sites that nail these topics if you can.

You can also just write the first one yourself, make some annotations to show the specific things you did, and why you did those things. I think they'll pick up on it.

Explaining "why" is a great way to teach smart people. If they know the goal, and they know why it matters, and you equip them well, they will get it.

The worst thing to do is to just keep ordering and doing the major edits yourself without giving your writers the tools they need to learn and improve. If these topics are taking extra work, even if the word counts are the same, be cool and bump their rate up a bit - it'll pay off. Acknowledge that these topics are trickier, and that you have higher exceptions, and empower them to get it done right for you.

(PS - Is your username a reference to a certain menace to the residents of Tristram?)

Yes, the name derives from he who thought he could terrorize and was proven wrong by the 12 year old version of me. Deckard Cain will back me up on this.

It’s interesting you say to let go the reigns and to trust after giving consistent feedback to the writers. I suppose this is the key here and is true. This is great advice i’ll be testing.

I’ll also be considering just sending a screen-capture/audio instructions alongside the article to help with the instructions. I’m curious if this is done often by others.

If this ends up working for me I’ll report back!

-----

@TheCurator I got rid of this writer... now doing training sessions before outsourcing my work using video. Will report if this works for me

-----

Update: @TheCurator I’m using Loom to quickly record the instructions using video and screen capture. Loom is so quick and easy to use that I’m able to give them video screen capture reviews of their article for revisions and on-going feedback. It’s working for me so far. (I swear I’m not an affiliate of loom... but if you click this link.... (jk) )

What you had written has helped a lot as well. My writer is 1.5 cents per word... i’ve found that no matter the cost... the communication & the writers interest in the topic is what dictates good article for me (at least so far)

I work with a company or a writer over a long time and give feedback.

I outline my articles very detailed in Dynalist. I set up headings and subheadings, mostly for SEO purposes, but it also helps to outline the article. I provide research sources in detail, usually put them under each segment and then some sources at the beginning.

I prefer to find the sources, because I don't want them just sourcing from the top 10 Google sources.

Back