Flying under the radar with Twitter/Music

Degree
I produce dub reggae as a hobby and my main method of promotion is Twitter. Overall I do pretty well. I use 10 accounts verified by my real cell phone, and do @mentions in bulk rotating several of my YT videos with spun semi-promotional text. I've been shooting for 1,000 tweets per account per day with 3 mentions each, seeding each 500 tweets with a mention of my main account. I had been using PhantomJS, which meant I rarely hit those numbers, but with my new method I hit them with very little CPU strain. In fact I put a 2 second pause between each tweet using Node's async with a SetTimeout.

I've never received a direct complaint, in fact I get very good feedback. I attribute this to having mined a very good database of ~800,000 fans of other dub/reggae artists and pages on that topic. I also have a specially mined database of accounts that favorited or retweeted my links so I can hit them with new material first.

I consider a bassline success about a 10% like ratio on actual listens on youtube, clicks through to download on soundcloud, etc, but I have also had a good amount of success getting noticed and shared by some legendary artists, producers and deejays within jamaican and hip-hop music. I've even got radio stations contacting me to say they're playing my music and requesting first dibs at new releases or copies of stuff that's only up for streaming.

My only real problem so far happened when I switched from PhantomJS to a pure request.js tweeting method. It's easy to push out the 10,000 tweets a day, but every few days it seems all but my main accounts get locked and all of my seed mentions disappear from my main account. Traffic for this run will be noticeably low, but oddly favorites and shares will trickle in on my feeder accounts.

Any more concrete suggestions on tweet limits (1,000/day I understand) or mention limits (can't find anything specific, other than someone else said his account lock specifically cited too many mentions).

Once I login to the accounts and phone verify they seem good as new. I think I'm going to start off with 1,000 messages total today and see what happens, then maybe try 3,000 tomorrow. If I hit a limit I'll PVA again and try a longer pause and more heavily spun text.

Also, if anyone has a tip on being able to PVA more accounts that would be very helpful. Especially if I can keep the numbers to PVA if they get locked again. I know Twilio won't work and I'm not above getting a cheap burner phone or some SIM cards as long as I can verify Twitter will accept it.

I think it depends on feedback as much as hard limits (people hitting report tweet). I tried the twitter leadgen game for a while when I was working at a content agency a long time ago and the skill of the person crafting the mentions had a huge impact on account locking (we did it all manually). For example I never had one locked doing hours of testing before I unleashed it on the team. A couple of careless messages that hit someone who didn't like them by a member of staff got an account locked in 30 minutes lol.

If someone reports a tweet will that show up somewhere? If it does that's never happened to me. I'm almost positive my recent locking is from pushing it to the 1,000 tweet limit.

There also used to be things thing that would happen I'd call "ghosting". Tweets and follows would work, but the other user would never receive a notification. I think that stopped when I got away from API altogether. Now I just emulate the web client.

An update from today. I noticed that my accounts that were being locked almost all followed 0 people, so I ran a follow script on those accounts against my "already retweeted my shit" database. I haven't experienced any more locking, but about half of my accounts are acting normal but not actually triggering notifications on mentions. I'm going to give it some time and see what happens if they've all unghosted by tomorrow.

Back