First site build...2.5 months in. 18/clicks a day: computers, streaming device niche

Degree
Update a month later: grabbing about $11 a day 1200 pageviews per day. 75 posts saved up ready to be published lending formatting.

Degree
Any other monetization plans or is it your goal for all revenue to be through display ads?

Degree
I have 40 amazon affiliate “best x for y” posts (longtail, obscure keywords) about to be published. I get about $15/month from amazon right now.. not much at all. The plan is to make it 60% informational display ads and 40% amazon affiliate

Degree
I promised i would update-6 months later and i grab about $1k a month. Appreciate the advice- helped a lot
Welcome aboard, @AhFreshMeat.

The thing to know about Tech is that the commissions are low across the board due to already slim margins in that industry (unless you're Apple or Nvidia, etc) but the prices are high enough that you can get a decent earnings per conversion.

The other thing that helps with low commissions is that there's a ton of traffic to go around. The bad part is you need a ton of traffic to make decent money.

Another bad thing is your demographic is tech-savvy people (not always, depending on what kind of questions and queries you're going after) so you're going to encounter a lot of ad blockers.

At this point, you're way too "early" in the game to be worried about the maximum potential of the site. But I suspect there's tech sites doing a million a month. So $3k a month would be a tiny slice of a huge pie, which is completely doable.

But you're going to have to put in some work, get some earnings going, hire help, and scale to the moon. Content-based site? Scale to the moon. Something like PCPartPicker.com? Constant data collection and data input and management.

One thing most computer-ish tech sites I see do is they take on lots of user-generated content, usually with a forum. That can be a fast way to scale if you can get a community going but you'll have to spend a lot of time moderating and Google doesn't like ranking user-generated content when there are editorial options.

Good luck, it's doable. There's countless people in this niche doing that well and much better.

At this point, my suggestion would be to get a much larger spread of content on the site and get as many links aimed at your site as you can (safe, non-spam links). Re-evaluate from there. At that point you'll have enough exposure and data to understand what the path forward will be for your specific project.

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Wow, that's really good for 6 months.

That site has a lot of potential.

What do you plan on doing now?

Degree
Ah, I meant 6 months since i posted this thread-so the site is almost a year old or so. Im actually at around 55 posts at the moment. I fell behind due to an injury

I just plan to hit 250 posts 60% informational 40% affiliate pages, but i plan on cranking out a summary of the article in a youtube video for every single post once they all rank as something tells me it will help. My niche could do decent on pinterest and i plan to automate that or outsource that after i take a pinterest course.

I have yet to build any backlinks and want that to he the core of what I do on top of launching other sites after i accomplish all of the above.

i’m also making everything I do into standard operating procedures as im training a smart and motivated writer to learn how to take over most of what i do besides keyword research.

I’m having a lot of fun so far, it would be nice to not be stressed with two jobs all the time so im trying to make this thing work

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Cool, 1K after 12 months is also good for this type of site, because of the hockey stick effect.

Are you working on linkbuilding? You should. If you haven't already, it will easily be what will improve your earnings most now, instead of one more article.

I think the Youtube and Pinterest is a really good idea. These extra traffic methods are what will give you an advantage over all the others who just do SEO.

Degree
no link building, im training this writer to do what i do essentially so I can make backlinking the core of what I do at about 200 posts in. Perhaps i should begin sooner as you’re mentioning though

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
no link building, im training this writer to do what i do essentially so I can make backlinking the core of what I do at about 200 posts in. Perhaps i should begin sooner as you’re mentioning though

I agree completely with the importance of links and getting them sooner than later due to the delayed effect. You can get an immediate effect out of it, even if it's delayed in the short term. But I'm talking about the full effect which happens over months and months as even links age and mature.

But no, if you're in the midst of training a writer and getting that completely off your back, I'd keep doing that. Getting content out of your workflow and into theirs will benefit you more than the content workflow stopping altogether while you chase links. You're biding your time but you're buying a lot more time (writer man-hours). That's the move since you're already involved with it, I think.

Degree
I have 40 amazon affiliate “best x for y” posts (longtail, obscure keywords) about to be published. I get about $15/month from amazon right now.. not much at all. The plan is to make it 60% informational display ads and 40% amazon affiliate
In your "best x for y" posts, how much do you do keyword research for them? How do you come up with the "Y" part of it?

I'm assuming that the product has search volume anyway, but I'm wondering if you just make the articles based on what "makes sense" or what you think could be good for the user. Or, do you go for intended use cases for each product set that you're showcasing each article without necessarily checking the volume and competition?

For example, for something like a gaming chair. If Gaming Chair A advertises that it can be used in other events, like a concert, and not just for the usual gaming at home. And another Gaming Chair B's promotional material also says it can be used for concerts even though it's not the main use for it.

So now you make an article like "Best Gaming Chairs for Small Concert Performances"? Or do you still use keyword tools to find the demand on what people are searching for. Like if it's too competitive for "best gaming chair for small concerts," you won't target that first, versus a 20 volume low comp search of "best gaming chair for watching wild elephant sightings"

Or do you just target all of these article ideas anyway?

Degree
Im making 4k or so month now from 87 articles. 50 are aged. Half are best X for y, and i choose the Y based off of all those factors you named. Personally, what works for me is i ask myself “is someone really typing this in on google? Atleast one person a day?” If the answer is yes and ahrefs shows low comp, low quality sites, then i choose it.

ex best gaming chair for nintendo switch, best gaming chair for xbox, best gaming chair for lower back, i’d likely do all of those, interlink them, and one might actually take off. If not, oh well, keep grinding

Degree
Im making 4k or so month now from 87 articles. 50 are aged. Half are best X for y, and i choose the Y based off of all those factors you named. Personally, what works for me is i ask myself “is someone really typing this in on google? Atleast one person a day?” If the answer is yes and ahrefs shows low comp, low quality sites, then i choose it.

ex best gaming chair for nintendo switch, best gaming chair for xbox, best gaming chair for lower back, i’d likely do all of those, interlink them, and one might actually take off. If not, oh well, keep grinding
Congrats on the success! I'm a bit confused about it though - are you making 4000 dollars or getting 4000 visitors per month with 87 articles?
Also, are you still on Adsense? Because Ezoic are now accepting sites under 10k sessions per month as far as I know, and they pay a hell of a lot more than Adsense.
Good stuff either way. I'm about to sell my first "baby" and hopefully get a nice pile of cash to invest into bigger and better projects. Nervous, so any inspiration is welcome. Keep grinding!

Degree
Congrats on the success! I'm a bit confused about it though - are you making 4000 dollars or getting 4000 visitors per month with 87 articles?
Also, are you still on Adsense? Because Ezoic are now accepting sites under 10k sessions per month as far as I know, and they pay a hell of a lot more than Adsense.
Good stuff either way. I'm about to sell my first "baby" and hopefully get a nice pile of cash to invest into bigger and better projects. Nervous, so any inspiration is welcome. Keep grinding!
Good questions, yes I quickly wrote that without much thought:

I'm making a little over $6k/mo at this point at 93 articles, huge batch incoming this week will push me to 150 articles, many are affiliate. minimal back linking, but beginning that as I think it will massively boost my revenue

Also, If you check the original post my goal was $3k/mo. I've accomplished double that and a lot of it is thanks to this forum and the insights I've gained from the many contributors, particularly the ones on this post.

Degree
Joining a premium ad network like Mediavine should boost your income significantly. Why haven't you considered it?

Degree
Im on ezoic, applied to adthrive, got rejected. I suppose i could try mediavine if its really that much better than ezoic

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Im on ezoic, applied to adthrive, got rejected. I suppose i could try mediavine if its really that much better than ezoic

It absolutely is. By many multiples of revenue, by core web vitals, by page speed. You’ll need to get into the philosophy of CPM ads and not CPC and you can push it even further.