First site build...2.5 months in. 18/clicks a day: computers, streaming device niche

I’ve made my first niche site, computers, streaming devices, streaming topics, tech, etc. and I’ve launched the domain roughly 7 months ago, but didnt put any posts on it until 3.5 months ago. I’m grabbing about 18/clicks a day on search console from 29 posts.

1. Anyone have any doubts about the niche making $3k/month? which is my goal. Ex. Thoughts such as low affiliate % from amazon or display ads, or not at all?
2. Am I off to the right start? Whats a good checkpoint to judge if its a good start? Ex. (100 blog posts aged 6+ months?) (100k words?, etc?

It’s been very tough starting out and not knowing what to expect, while writing content for weeks on end.

Things i know/more details;
-There’s a “sand-box” like effect.
-I use wordpress, astra theme, gutenberg, Rankmath. I have 1sec page speed load time & my content is damn good, with very good on page SEO practices. (Took a few courses, woodward, gotch seo, income school(not my fav))
-that my goal is $3k/month and my articles are 75% informational.

Sutra

On the edge of the sand
BuSo Pro
Of course you can make $3k a month. Both display ads and/or affiliate will work.

With display ads, assuming a $15 rpm (You'll need to adjust that RPM and numbers based on your own data), you would need about 6700 visitors a day to make $100 per day which would be about $3000 per month. Right now you're at 18 visitors per day. So get crackin.

Some things you didn't mention:
links?
outreach/publicity?
social media?

Added: welcome to the forum, by the way. I didn't notice it was your first post initially.

Last edited:
  • No link building yet
  • No outreach, social media or publicity yet, but I will be going for youtube and pinterest on posts that look like their hitting
  • Additional fact: I just began, and am worried about the repercussion of the third party cookie death, since this was the route I was sort of heading on my first site

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Welcome aboard, @AhFreshMeat.

The thing to know about Tech is that the commissions are low across the board due to already slim margins in that industry (unless you're Apple or Nvidia, etc) but the prices are high enough that you can get a decent earnings per conversion.

The other thing that helps with low commissions is that there's a ton of traffic to go around. The bad part is you need a ton of traffic to make decent money.

Another bad thing is your demographic is tech-savvy people (not always, depending on what kind of questions and queries you're going after) so you're going to encounter a lot of ad blockers.

At this point, you're way too "early" in the game to be worried about the maximum potential of the site. But I suspect there's tech sites doing a million a month. So $3k a month would be a tiny slice of a huge pie, which is completely doable.

But you're going to have to put in some work, get some earnings going, hire help, and scale to the moon. Content-based site? Scale to the moon. Something like PCPartPicker.com? Constant data collection and data input and management.

One thing most computer-ish tech sites I see do is they take on lots of user-generated content, usually with a forum. That can be a fast way to scale if you can get a community going but you'll have to spend a lot of time moderating and Google doesn't like ranking user-generated content when there are editorial options.

Good luck, it's doable. There's countless people in this niche doing that well and much better.

At this point, my suggestion would be to get a much larger spread of content on the site and get as many links aimed at your site as you can (safe, non-spam links). Re-evaluate from there. At that point you'll have enough exposure and data to understand what the path forward will be for your specific project.

• No link building yet
  • No outreach, social media or publicity yet, but I will be going for youtube and pinterest on posts that look like their hitting
So if your content really is 'damn good', then you need to be the person that people find when they are looking for the answers to streaming problems. Which means looking at what people are asking over at the streaming forums, on the streaming video comments, on reddit and FB, over at the tech answer boards so that your site will be the one that gets known for providing useful no-BS information.

I'm not talking about this as link-building for the sake of it, but links (and 'damn good' ones) will come as a byproduct of being a perceived expert on the topic.

Super helpful Ryuzaki, i was definitely aware of the very strong point you made on how the earnings are lower percentage, but the items are on average much higher that get purchased, evening out the playing field.

I suppose i’ll be ripping out a ton of content overall (seems to be the key), compiled of both informational and affiliate.

So far I have 29 informational based articles, roughly 2-3k words each, all intended to make earnings from ad revenue and a shot at an affiliate link in there somewhere.

my article format (Example):
  • Title: how to make (X problem) work correctly on AppleTV.
  • Body: mention both a free solution that is cumbersome, but works and a paid solution (switching to Roku via affiliate link)
As per your suggestion of re-evaluating when more content is published, i’m guessing i’ll shoot for 100... and not 30 articles. And not worry about the third party cookie (im guessing ad networks such as ezoic, mediavine & adthrive have plans to adjust?)

I greatly appreciate the input.

Of course you can make $3k a month. Both display ads and/or affiliate will work.

With display ads, assuming a $15 rpm (You'll need to adjust that RPM and numbers based on your own data), you would need about 6700 visitors a day to make $100 per day which would be about $3000 per month. Right now you're at 18 visitors per day. So get crackin.
Thanks Sutra! I’m cracking away! I’ll admit, I’m a noob and thus, very hesitant to Make 300+ posts focused on generating display ad revenue due to the removal of third party cookie & whatever damage it may cause display ad revenue.

Unrelated to the third party cookie statement above. Do you believe 300-350 posts on really helpful computer, internet, tech, streaming device niche articles could have me reaching $2-$3k/month in 1.5 years time? Or perhaps that’s not really an answerable question?

I’m happy to document my experience if it provides any value to this community.

I’m shooting for long tail keywords via navigating ahrefs & closely judging serps. Then, I’m making more content around the topics that i see “hit”. In terms of the future, I’ll have 50% of these 300 articles based around affiliate income

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
I'd suggest to not worry about affiliate style posts like "Best Webcam". They're going to be far too competitive for you right now. I'd stick to informational content with affiliate links here and there, and just gather some traffic and links first.

Don't worry about the 3rd Party cookie stuff. There's already a solution in place that everyone will adopt (Google's Privacy Sandbox). Everyone else has plans. Mediavine is trying to make Grow.me into a Mediavine-wide "log in so we can have your info, and here's some benefits to logging in" thing. At the end it will all fail and be insufficient except the Privacy Sandbox.

It's going to be fine. If everyone is affected the same way, than the bidding pressure won't change too much. These companies still have to advertise to make money. They're not going to just stop, even if their targeting is crappier and they lose some revenue. There's still like a year or two for some geniuses to cook up better solutions too.

So if your content really is 'damn good', then you need to be the person that people find when they are looking for the answers to streaming problems. Which means looking at what people are asking over at the streaming forums, on the streaming video comments, on reddit and FB, over at the tech answer boards so that your site will be the one that gets known for providing useful no-BS information.

I'm not talking about this as link-building for the sake of it, but links (and 'damn good' ones) will come as a byproduct of being a perceived expert on the topic.
I understand this, and while this appears to be slightly off topic from the focus of my original thread topic, its still helpful to read this. I didn’t engage link building/outreach just yet, intentionally as I want to gain momentum in pushing out posts. I already hired a writer for 5 posts a week, I push out 2-3 a day myself (i spend 6+ hours a day writing after my day job)

It is interesting to see how someone more experienced, like yourself, has the viewpoint of building something very credible, useful, a true online resource for visitors to come back to, and not some dinky “how to fix x or y problem” like my site is right now. I’ll keep this in mind moving forward.
Thanks Toffee.

Ruzuk
I'd suggest to not worry about affiliate style posts like "Best Webcam". They're going to be far too competitive for you right now. I'd stick to informational content with affiliate links here and there, and just gather some traffic and links first.

Don't worry about the 3rd Party cookie stuff. There's already a solution in place that everyone will adopt (Google's Privacy Sandbox). Everyone else has plans. Mediavine is trying to make Grow.me into a Mediavine-wide "log in so we can have your info, and here's some benefits to logging in" thing. At the end it will all fail and be insufficient except the Privacy Sandbox.

It's going to be fine. If everyone is affected the same way, than the bidding pressure won't change too much. These companies still have to advertise to make money. They're not going to just stop, even if their targeting is crappier and they lose some revenue. There's still like a year or two for some geniuses to cook up better solutions too.
What an absolutely incredible reply for a new-comer like myself. Truly useful information for me. While i sort of know this, it has a different impact when I hear it from one of you guys.

There's more value on the builders society community than most overpriced paid courses I find online.

Welcome to BuSo.

The others have covered a lot of important aspects. My advice to you would be to plan your content in a way that boosts your topical relevancy for that product or category or area of interest.

For example:

1. How long do goldfish live?
2. How to take care of goldfish?
3. Best food for goldfish
4. How to keep goldfish

as opposed to

1. How long do guppies live?
2. How to take care of goldfish
3. Is raising piranhas illegal?
4. Can carps feed on algae?

In the previous cluster, you are focusing on a single topic that makes google trust you with that topic. So the next time you wanna rank that money post around goldfish, you will rank higher than other individual bloggers trying to rank a single page. Needless to say, the articles in the same cluster need to be tightly interlinked to make it easier for google to award the cluster more weight.

Welcome to BuSo.

The others have covered a lot of important aspects. My advice to you would be to plan your content in a way that boosts your topical relevancy for that product or category or area of interest.

For example:

1. How long do goldfish live?
2. How to take care of goldfish?
3. Best food for goldfish
4. How to keep goldfish

as opposed to

1. How long do guppies live?
2. How to take care of goldfish
3. Is raising piranhas illegal?
4. Can carps feed on algae?

In the previous cluster, you are focusing on a single topic that makes google trust you with that topic. So the next time you wanna rank that money post around goldfish, you will rank higher than other individual bloggers trying to rank a single page. Needless to say, the articles in the same cluster need to be tightly interlinked to make it easier for google to award the cluster more weight.
This is the one thing that I have nailed down that I’m proud of. It’s satisfying to see confirmation that what I’m doing is on par with the hub/cluster focus you’re mentioning. Truly appreciate the responses guys. I’ll report back with my results

This is the one thing that I have nailed down that I’m proud of. It’s satisfying to see confirmation that what I’m doing is on par with the hub/cluster focus you’re mentioning. Truly appreciate the responses guys. I’ll report back with my results

Lots of people hate the tech niche. I freaking love it. There are so many products but more importantly so many keywords. Keywords being created everyday because new products are being released. There are barriers to entry also once you gain a little more experience (if you are already good then even better). You can read my case study here if you are interested. I write big updates every month, so there might be something useful for you in there.

I’m pretty savvy with the streaming device/internet/computer/tech topics etc, I find them fascinating and as you said the keywords feel endless. This will help me ‘scale to the moon’ as mentioned earlier.

My plan at 100 posts
Im at 30 posts and I didnt build any backlinks yet, intentionally. I plan to build them at the 100th article. For no other reasons besides a mental checkpoint to reach. At this 100 article ‘checkpoint’, I want to start 2 new websites and push 30 articles into each- while building links & youtube for posts on this tech site. I think 3 is my limit until I’m more experienced at this.

After the checkpoint, I’ll be back to the grind for 200 articles on this first site, sneaking in affiliate focused posts if I think I can rank for them. I’m going to repeat this process until I’m a god damn cyber cowboy. Soaring through the serps like @MrMedia & @Ryuzaki (joking, but serious)

Sorry, got a little over zealous with my day dream there

Sutra

On the edge of the sand
BuSo Pro
Do you believe 300-350 posts on really helpful computer, internet, tech, streaming device niche articles could have me reaching $2-$3k/month in 1.5 years time? Or perhaps that’s not really an answerable question?

Absolutely doable. It has been done, and continues to be done, by many people. It's just comes down to whether you'll put in the work to get there.

However, the way your question sounds, to me, is that you lack determination. Maybe you get there in 1.5 years, maybe you don't. That's irrelevant. What matters is that you know, without a doubt, you know 100% you WILL get to $3k a month, no matter what. If you have that type of belief and conviction, you'll make it. It may not be in 1.5 years, but you WILL get there.

Absolutely doable. It has been done, and continues to be done, by many people. It's just comes down to whether you'll put in the work to get there.

However, the way your question sounds, to me, is that you lack determination. Maybe you get there in 1.5 years, maybe you don't. That's irrelevant. What matters is that you know, without a doubt, you know 100% you WILL get to $3k a month, no matter what. If you have that type of belief and conviction, you'll make it. It may not be in 1.5 years, but you WILL get there.
Ah, I can see that being interpreted as such. Just seeing whats realistic based on number of posts in my niche and strategy. i’ll consider adopting this mindset though, definitely effective

Two week update: averaging 250 page views a day this past week. (Compare this to my 18 clicks/day from my original post 14 days ago) I suppose my site finally got out of the theoretical “sand-box”. I’m at 4 months in from my first post on a 7 month old domain if anyone is curious. Excited

There are pros and cons to every niche. The one thing that puts me off of tech (among other niches) is that new products superseded others quickly.

So if you have an article about the "best smart remotes" or whatever, you'll probably need to be updating that annually at least. That can be part of your business model or a pain in the ass.

You have started now though so I wouldn't back out until you hit your goal. Maybe just think down the track of planning say:
  • 80% evergreen topics (don't date, or they date slowly) - info/ad content
  • 20% will need updating - affiliate content
Then once you have the foundation built you can plan to simply maintain those 20% really well.

I appreciate the reply. This is what I’m doing. I don’t mind updating annual devices/top pages. As someone who has a genuine interest in the niche I enjoy seeing how these products and topics evolve over time

...I suppose this is why choosing a niche you have a passion for is commonly spoken of for new blog starters

I appreciate the reply. This is what I’m doing. I don’t mind updating annual devices/top pages. As someone who has a genuine interest in the niche I enjoy seeing how these products and topics evolve over time

...I suppose this is why choosing a niche you have a passion for is commonly spoken of for new blog starters
I'm not saying you will definitely change but I have been in your optimistic shoes. I built a site in a niche I cared about a lot. It was tons of fun, but the site needed new content without fail every year.

Product reviews were out of date without fail each year (think: new photos, new specs, new features, etc), and buyers guides needed to be updated yearly too (entirely new products, difficult to recycle the content). It's fine when you have 50 articles that need updating. If you have 500 or 5000 it's very different.

This could be a great business model, but it all needs to be factored in. For myself nowadays I'd expect the volume to be very high on this content so it makes sense to maintain it. I can publish an article to get 25 sessions a month if it's published once, never (or seldom) returned to. But if I need to spend an hour on that one article every month forever, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I can always pay someone to do this! But yes, I wonder if it will be an issue. Good point. Luckily, 1 out of 5 articles need an annual check in right now. Otherwise most of my posts are evergreen

Two week update: averaging 250 page views a day this past week. (Compare this to my 18 clicks/day from my original post 14 days ago) I suppose my site finally got out of the theoretical “sand-box”. I’m at 4 months in from my first post on a 7 month old domain if anyone is curious. Excited
How many articles have you now?
still 2000 works per article?

Ive got the same amount of articles. Just 30! I changed nothing in 14 days. Roughly 2k words per article

Yet, I have 15 articles that are about ready to hit publish...I just have to format & edit them a bit first for internal/external links etc.

I just hired 3 writers so I fell behind on hitting the publish button, but have content piled up ready to be released. Which is interesting that the traffic increased so much

Hi AhFreshMeat, nice to meet some "crazy" people like me here. Building my first site based in content too. Hope to hear good news from you soon!

@Mireno I’m now up to 700 page views a day, from still only 30 posts. I have 40 additional posts ready to be published this week.

I made my first $3 yesterday.

$1 from amazon affiliate- someone bought a random piano book when I had linked an electronic (LOL) and also $2 from adsense.

Im getting about $2.50 from adsense, and there’s no in-page/in-line native ads (ads in between paragraphs)... yet! Adsense isnt putting them in there from auto-ads? (using sitekit)

This is a big day for me. I can almost afford a slice of pizza from my earnings. Even if I only make $3 for the next 24 months... I can eat one slice of pizza every month for years to come. Pretty successful!

@Mireno I’m now up to 700 page views a day, from still only 30 posts. I have 40 additional posts ready to be published this week.

I made my first $3 yesterday.

$1 from amazon affiliate- someone bought a random piano book when I had linked an electronic (LOL) and also $2 from adsense.

Im getting about $2.50 from adsense, and there’s no in-page/in-line native ads (ads in between paragraphs)... yet! Adsense isnt putting them in there from auto-ads? (using sitekit)

This is a big day for me. I can almost afford a slice of pizza from my earnings. Even if I only make $3 for the next 24 months... I can eat one slice of pizza every month for years to come. Pretty successful!
Congratulations, among my websites I have one with an identical theme to yours, written in Spanish. It is 5 months old right now, with about 40 articles published.

I've had it stopped for months now, but I think I'm going to take it up again and launch it as my main source of income.

I like the theme and I want to get into a big niche, since I currently only work with micronics.

Good luck!