Finding, Screening, Paying Content Editors

Degree
I am pretty good at finding writers, and up until now, have edited everything they provide (news + evergreen content).

However the volume of content is getting too much, and TBH I don't enjoy it. I want to free up more of my time for other things.

There is plenty of threads on finding, screening and paying writers, but what is your methodology for doing that with editors?

There is also the added level of trust that they must have (you may not ever see their work vs my writers now where I see everything).

How much do you pay them? If you operate a 24/7 news site, do you expect them to be available most of the day?

My best writer I would trust to edit most things, but even then there is still some corrections that must be made to her work, and her time (and timezone) is limited.

Any other tips appreciated.

What I’m doing to try and get an editor is unironically trying to talk potato into doing it for me.

He eludes me and treats me like a creepy stalker. So thats not working to well.

-_- )-

On a more serious note.
My recommendation is to attempt to hire stack cash or potato depending on if you want a witty personality or more raw professionalism.
There seem to be an awful lot of people running around this community who made money off something they did. I think you should bet on finding a really great person or team instead of a process.

Sorry, don’t really have any great strategy tips. My track record with scaling bulk content consists of resorting to text broker and burning out a few freelancers I met on WF or marketplace sites. Editors have been harder than writers for some reason. I think it’s a bit more soul destroying and people hate logging into and formatting for cmses and shit.

There is a reason text broker has gotten as big as it has. Maybe check out their api based solutions if you want to go for a more process based automated approach.

Last edited:
Always found "promoting from within" useful for this.

So that means taking one of your top writers and saying you'd like them to become the site editor. It means more pay for them, and they do the editing/uploading process. But it also means you can:
  • Train them to manage the writer pool
  • Train them to do the keyword/topic discovery as well
I've never been able to find just an editor and slot them into the team doing just that. But promoting a writer and then offloading more than I'd originally planned? That works plenty for me.

Back