Facebook Post Boost - Not Authorized for Ads with Political Content

becool

BuSo Pro
Degree
This is odd. I received an automated e-mail from Facebook suggesting that I "boost" a particular post I made several weeks ago. Having no firsthand experience (or even second or third hand experience) with Facebook's "boost" I thought I'd give it a whirl. Rather than "boost" the particular post the automated e-mail recommended that I boost from my website's page, I selected a post that I thought was a little more informative. While the post I sought to boost linked to a product/service page on my site (such that it was promotional in nature), the content was also informational and almost academic in nature.

Hours after the fact, I received another automated e-mail suggesting my "ad" was not approved. I assumed, at that time, that the ad had been disapproved because of the promotional nature of the post which, in retrospect, doesn't make sense particularly since Facebook boost appears to be PPC advertising (which I'm not really versed in). Having had a moment to check the basis for the disapproval I now see that the "ad was not approved because [my] Page has not been authorized to run ads with political content." The post references a government act, but it isn't political in nature. If anything, the post consists of a recitation of a governmental act but is otherwise devoid of any opinions (political or otherwise).

I have been given the option to appeal the denial or provide the czar with my personal information (to obtain approval to run ads with political content).

I thought this was interesting and worth discussing. What makes this a little comical is that I had no idea what a "boost" was much less any interest in "boosting" a post until I received the initial automated e-mail from Facebook. I gave it a try out of simple curiosity and because the price point appeared to be relatively low.

What's the deal? Will Facebook approve my "ad" if I simply provide it with the requested personal information? Does Facebook tend to misconstrue topics as political when, in actuality, they are in fact not political or was this just a simple mistake on the part of whomever or whatever reviewed my ad?

I got the same message for an ad that I've been running for almost 2 years. It's a petition, which ultimately ends up asking to give your signature to send to your state senator. I'm guessing this has to do with .Gov coming down hard on FB with the Russia fiasco and other data breaches. All you have to do is verify your account, which is a three step process. Minor inconvienience. The only people this sucks for is anyone outside of the US, because you can only run these types of ads if you are a US citizen now.

I got the same message for an ad that I've been running for almost 2 years. It's a petition, which ultimately ends up asking to give your signature to send to your state senator. I'm guessing this has to do with .Gov coming down hard on FB with the Russia fiasco and other data breaches. All you have to do is verify your account, which is a three step process. Minor inconvienience. The only people this sucks for is anyone outside of the US, because you can only run these types of ads if you are a US citizen now.

The photo identification and social security number components are still a little weird.

social security number?? as if zuckerberg doesn't have enough of our information. yeah, this is too with the pressure the company is facing over its political meddling (i.e. the profit it makes for allowing its users to be maniuplated by political campaigners and hence reshape our societies).

Thing is Facebook is using algorithms to detect "political" posts, and it clearly has a long way to make a reasonable judgement. If you really think your posts are apolitical, i would challenge it and get a person to look at it - it might be revelatory either way.

social security number?? as if zuckerberg doesn't have enough of our information. yeah, this is too with the pressure the company is facing over its political meddling (i.e. the profit it makes for allowing its users to be maniuplated by political campaigners and hence reshape our societies).

Thing is Facebook is using algorithms to detect "political" posts, and it clearly has a long way to make a reasonable judgement. If you really think your posts are apolitical, i would challenge it and get a person to look at it - it might be revelatory either way.

It's apolitical. I even had others read it to make sure I haven't lost my mind. What's interesting is the way in which Facebook defines what is political content. It's extremely broad. My appeal was rejected, by the way.

Here's the official definition:

Ads that include political content are defined as any ad that:
  • Is made by, on behalf of, or about a current or former candidate for public office, a political party, a political action committee, or advocates for the outcome of an election to public office; or
  • Relates to any election, referendum, or ballot initiative, including "get out the vote" or election information campaigns; or
  • Relates to any national legislative issue of public importance in any place where the ad is being run; or
  • Is regulated as political advertising.

Back