Expired Domain Links (GSC)

Degree
Hi, I'm not sure what's going on hope you guys can advise me.
Around 6 months ago, I bought an expired aged domain with good metrics.
According to ahrefs and Moz, it has links from authority sites like The Guardian etc.
I've since added it to Google Search Console.
It's been 6 months now and I am not seeing these "authority" links in my Search Console at all.
I did a site: search and the link is still indexed on Google (the article still has anchor text linking to my domain).

What's the issue here? Why is it not showing in my GSC? No wonder the site has not taken off yet, as I've not got the full power from these links!
Do I submit these links to an indexing service like SpeedLinks, etc?

Thanks!

Perhaps the site is penalized or manually reviewed? Or just burnt to a crisp cause of spam or other activities. Hence why the previous owner let the domain go.

Perhaps the site is penalized or manually reviewed? Or just burnt to a crisp cause of spam or other activities. Hence why the previous owner let the domain go.
I bought it from a reputable aged domain seller.
Also, there are no spammy links all clean.
My GSC is squeaky clean as well no manual actions. All my site's posts are indexed.
The Guardian link was from 2015 though. Maybe I just need to re-index it using one of the services?

Did you build a site on the domain or did you redirect the domain into your pre-existing site? I'm wondering, in the case of a redirect, whether Google shows those links in Search Console for the destination site, or if you need to register an account for the redirected domain too (which I always did).

To be fair, Search Console doesn't show all of the links Google knows about. Nor is the list an account of those that Google "counts". It's just an incomplete list and nothing more.

I'm recalling a link I had from Time.com that Google, Ahrefs, Moz, SEMRush, etc... none of them ever listed it, but I'm positive Google found and crawled it.

Did you build a site on the domain or did you redirect the domain into your pre-existing site? I'm wondering, in the case of a redirect, whether Google shows those links in Search Console for the destination site, or if you need to register an account for the redirected domain too (which I always did).

To be fair, Search Console doesn't show all of the links Google knows about. Nor is the list an account of those that Google "counts". It's just an incomplete list and nothing more.

I'm recalling a link I had from Time.com that Google, Ahrefs, Moz, SEMRush, etc... none of them ever listed it, but I'm positive Google found and crawled it.
I built a site on the domain, now up to 60 posts. All the new links that I got since I started the website, have been indexed (Links like business directores, etc).
But the links that mattered most is not in GSC lol.

@liwern, how long have you had the site live? And was the domain still indexed when you rebuilt on it? GSC is kind of slow in a lot of ways to display info, except maybe the coverage reports. The backlink portion was always insanely behind the curve before the redesign, anyways.

And did you make sure all of the old pages that were being linked to are now 301 redirected to relevant pages? If they're irrelevant pages, Google may count them as "soft 404's" and discount the links.

@Ryuzaki I've had the site for 6 months now. When i rebuilt it there were still few pages indexed. I didn't bother 301 redirecting as majority of the links were to the homepage.
The link from The Guardian is also to the homepage.

What exactly do you mean by "the site has not taken off yet"? Does the site have any reasonable traffic? That is the only metrics that counts. GSC links part is not very reliable. Guardian (in-content) link should be strong enough to move the needle, no matter if GSC lists it or not. If your site has 100s+ visitors daily, Google most probably counts the link. If it struggles with 5-10 daily visits, there is a problem. Also, the Guardian link is a followed link?

Try to search in google cached content
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.guardian...whatever...
if tha page was cached months ago (should not be), try speedlinks or any working indexer.

Last edited:
Back