Expensvive survey opportunity

Degree
Hey guys,

Maybe some of you did that already or have an insight..

I have an opportunity to realise a survey in partnership with a big survey company in my country. The subject might create a good buzz in the summer. It seems to be a great oppprtunity to get links from newpaper with high authority.
The only things that holds me now is the cost : it's going to be around 7000$.

If I can get around 50 links from those high DR webiste, that could be 140$ a link, which seems decent to me. It's a long term play I guess.

Anyone did that already?

I'll be happy to share with you the resulst if I go that way.

I'd say that it entirely hinges on two things:
  • Will your website have the results of the survey exclusively? Or will other sites have access to the results?
  • Is the topic broad enough to do outreach?
If the topic is broad enough and attractive enough, there's nothing stopping you from doing outreach till you hit 200+ referring domains. You could stack on top of that with forum links, social media promotion (which will bring in more links), etc. You could drive the "cost per link" aspect very far down, if you choose to look at it that way.

But at the same time, what's to stop you from re-publishing the results after someone else pays the $7,000? Or what's to stop someone else from trying to do the same to you after you make the payment?

If you're talking about hosting the survey yourself, that might be different, especially if the results end up on the same page and take the place of the survey itself after it runs up.

It's pricey for sure. You could buy an expired domain for $7,000 at auction that has far more and better links that you might attract with the survey, and 301 it to your site and port over any content too. So you could be buying a domain with links and content, versus grinding it out to get the links yourself. Or you could pay someone to do outreach and get 50 links for $7k, possibly negotiate a little better even.

It's a lot to think about. I'd compare it to other ways you could spend the $7k. That might help clear things up for you.

Thanks for your answer. It gives me interesting perspective I didn't think about.
I digged a bit and I think there will be a potential for a lot of link building. The subject is broad enough I think.
I'll go for it and see the results. Hopefully I'll have a good ROI.

Back