EMD - High competition keywords

Degree
So, I read a post in the forum about EMD's and how to rank for keywords using them. Although I guess I have unintentionally done this in the past, I have never focused on it. Does anyone have experience with EMD's?

How do they fair with high auth competitors and high comp keywords? I do not intend to use this as a long-term goal. Still, it would surely be helpful to dominate some keywords on separately domained and hosted websites using EMD's to promote my digital products while using whitehat to rank the same words on money sites.

My main concerns are: How high should I go with EMD's have you found that it works better on low comp or does it work unilaterally?

Expired vs. new, would this matter, or should I aim for an aged domain even with little or no metrics?

TLD's if I find an EMD in another TLD besides com, net, org, and info is it as good, assuming I find the EMD.?

And any off-page strategies you can share aimed explicitly at ranking EMD's I would greatly appreciate.

Does this even work anymore? lol

Thanks much!

The higher the volume and competition of a term, the more willing Google is to rank a homepage. The problem is, this is nearly always a branded domain of high authority. Otherwise they seem less willing to rank homepages (to fight this issue) and prefer inner pages.

That doesn't mean you can't brute force it with links. But you still may have issues with the amount of content indexed and how many links those pages have.

Trying to find an expired (you probably mean non-dropped) domain that's also an EMD for a decent term is going to be hard. That's a lot of variables. If you don't care if they're actually expired then it opens it back up but I think you also lose the benefit of the age.

Google claims they have zero preference when it comes to TLDs, whether .com, .org, .ninja, .kitchen, whatever. Where you will go wrong is if you use a non-global TLD, like .co.uk while trying to rank in the USA. It won't happen.

If you want to test it out, I'd suggest not going for a homerun yet. It will take more resources and might be a dud. I haven't done this in at least 8 years and I don't see it in the SERPs ever any more.

I don't bother with EMDs now, just get some keywords in your domain and make a brand.

The higher the volume and competition of a term, the more willing Google is to rank a homepage. The problem is, this is nearly always a branded domain of high authority. Otherwise they seem less willing to rank homepages (to fight this issue) and prefer inner pages.

That doesn't mean you can't brute force it with links. But you still may have issues with the amount of content indexed and how many links those pages have.

Trying to find an expired (you probably mean non-dropped) domain that's also an EMD for a decent term is going to be hard. That's a lot of variables. If you don't care if they're actually expired then it opens it back up but I think you also lose the benefit of the age.

Google claims they have zero preference when it comes to TLDs, whether .com, .org, .ninja, .kitchen, whatever. Where you will go wrong is if you use a non-global TLD, like .co.uk while trying to rank in the USA. It won't happen.

If you want to test it out, I'd suggest not going for a homerun yet. It will take more resources and might be a dud. I haven't done this in at least 8 years and I don't see it in the SERPs ever any more.

I will give this a stab on a local leads site and update the post once I get a better picture. What I meant by expired was already dropped or deleted but, previously used domains. Also I asked about the TLD because it makes it easier to find the name match in most cases. I am gong to run a small test maybe a landing page on the main domain and a second page with a term. For example : rangerroveroilchange.io/in-los-angeles.

Is this a good idea? Would it matter or help at all? or would it actually make it worse because the whole keyword it not mentioned in the slug?

Thanks

I don't bother with EMDs now, just get some keywords in your domain and make a brand.
I do agree that is the long term strategy. But, my curiosity is based on the fact that if they do work I can dominate some keywords while I rank my branded money site. Does this make seance or am I in lala land?

Thanks!

EMDS and partial short tail matches are god mode for picking off specific keywords.

Still works, and prints money if you're picking good keywords.

The brand builders poo poo them a lot.

In my opinion they're a bunch of dense idiots that make to much content and don't know how to do Roi calculations. 10$ a pop to get a free pass to rank with a half assed effort is great.

Anything that will let me pick up a competitive keyword with real value is a great tool tool to have in my book.

EMDS and partial short tail matches are god mode for picking off specific keywords.

Still works, and prints money if you're picking good keywords.

The brand builders poo poo them a lot.

In my opinion they're a bunch of dense idiots that make to much content and don't know how to do Roi calculations. 10$ a pop to get a free pass to rank with a half assed effort is great.

Anything that will let me pick up a competitive keyword with real value is a great tool tool to have in my book.
I guess everyone has something that works for them. Brand building is my long term strategy. But, I don’t want to leave money or opportunities on the table right now. And if this is something that really works I’m going to squeeze the tit till there is no more milk. I will update the post with some metrics of what happens in the near future. Thanks for your input.

Back