Dubai, Happiest City in The World?

I spend around 3 months a year in Dubai for business.
Contacts - if you're in the digital space I don't think it's any better than Bangkok, Singapore or Hong Kong.
Business - little government interference. It's a bit like the wild west. Banking is decent there too.
Living - not really my style. It's a lot of fluff. Shiny outside, mediocre at best on the inside. It attracts a lot of lowlifes that pretend to ball. If you move there you need a cab everywhere as you can't walk around much. If you're living there cars are really cheap (especially sports cars) and you have valet parking everywhere. Partying is expensive but the clubs are quite good there (Cirque le Soir, Buddha Bar, that new bar on top of Conrad).

What I like about Dubai is the location. It's like 8 hours flight away from any place in Europe and Asia so you have lots of people swinging by for a day or two. It's the perfect place for me to meet up with people I haven't seen in a long time.

Let me know if you need some more details (where to stay, where to buy cars, setting up a company...).

I spend around 3 months a year in Dubai for business.
Contacts - if you're in the digital space I don't think it's any better than Bangkok, Singapore or Hong Kong.
Business - little government interference. It's a bit like the wild west. Banking is decent there too.
Living - not really my style. It's a lot of fluff. Shiny outside, mediocre at best on the inside. It attracts a lot of lowlifes that pretend to ball. If you move there you need a cab everywhere as you can't walk around much. If you're living there cars are really cheap (especially sports cars) and you have valet parking everywhere. Partying is expensive but the clubs are quite good there (Cirque le Soir, Buddha Bar, that new bar on top of Conrad).

What I like about Dubai is the location. It's like 8 hours flight away from any place in Europe and Asia so you have lots of people swinging by for a day or two. It's the perfect place for me to meet up with people I haven't seen in a long time.

Let me know if you need some more details (where to stay, where to buy cars, setting up a company...).
what's cheap when you talk cars? what kind of price range?

what's cheap when you talk cars? what kind of price range?

Anything high priced. Ferraris (a 458 for 85k USD instead of 130k USD in Europe for example), Lamborghinis, Maseratis (garbage quality, don't buy), Bentleys, AMGs, RS, M series... there's this whole stretch on Sheik Zayed road with second hand luxury car dealerships (like dealsonwheels.ae). They also have a huge car auction somewhere in the outskirts. It looks like a sketchy bazar but you can find really good deals. If you think about buying in UAE and shipping to your home country check the import regulations first. Most countries have insane taxes on cars from UAE.

Anything high priced. Ferraris (a 458 for 85k USD instead of 130k USD in Europe for example), Lamborghinis, Maseratis (garbage quality, don't buy), Bentleys, AMGs, RS, M series... there's this whole stretch on Sheik Zayed road with second hand luxury car dealerships (like dealsonwheels.ae). They also have a huge car auction somewhere in the outskirts. It looks like a sketchy bazar but you can find really good deals. If you think about buying in UAE and shipping to your home country check the import regulations first. Most countries have insane taxes on cars from UAE.

Not even interested in importing anything from Abraod. One thing good about America, we have standards that keep consumers protected.

Not even interested in importing anything from Abraod. One thing good about America, we have standards that keep consumers protected.
Import taxes have nothing to do with standards or consumer protectionism.

Back