Doubled My Traffic In 5 Minutes For Free, Overnight!

MetaData

BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
I had an older project kicking around that I haven't done a lot with lately. I realized it was time for a bit of a facelift and put a new responsive theme up. Didn't tweak or customize it at all, just installed it and that's it. Ever since then (This was over a month ago) my traffic has been double. The very next day after changing the theme, 2x traffic and that's kept up ever since.

This is far from scientific, but I hadn't changed anything else for months until simply swapping a non-responsive theme for a responsive theme. I'm expecting the traffic to double once again when I have a chance to dig through the 100 or so articles and get everything interlinking nicely and put some focus on the pages that are just on the cusp of ranking.

That's cool. I wonder what the effect would be if you had just redirected mobile traffic to a mobile version and kept the main site as-is.

It might not be because of the responsiveness of the theme. It might be just an overall faster theme that gets you out of the speed/slowness penalty.

Since you got analytics, did your individual mobile, tablet, or desktop traffic increase at a rate higher then the rest? For example if mobile traffic went from 10% to 40% then it's definitely the responsiveness, but if everything stated equal and all the devices stayed on par with their old numbers +/- 10%, then you simply escaped the speed penalty.

It might not be because of the responsiveness of the theme. It might be just an overall faster theme that gets you out of the speed/slowness penalty.

Since you got analytics, did your individual mobile, tablet, or desktop traffic increase at a rate higher then the rest? For example if mobile traffic went from 10% to 40% then it's definitely the responsiveness, but if everything stated equal and all the devices stayed on par with their old numbers +/- 10%, then you simply escaped the speed penalty.

I think you're spot on about the speed thing, the old theme was massive and this one is very zippy and the data backs that up. Good call!

yeah you sometimes don't realise how heavy certain themes are, and how much of an effect loading speed can impact you when regards to the speed penalty

Can you check and tell us if the difference in traffic is coming from desktop or mobile?

Ya that would be good to know - never heard of this happening, ill be keeping on eye on this too.

The traffic breakdown is basically the same, more or less. Seems safe to attribute this to speed. I'm going to pop the old theme up later and do a quick speed test to compare. Also going to move this site over to my super-speedy VPS.

Back