Double Revenue Thought Experiment

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
I was thinking about this... two questions:
  • What would I do if I had double revenue?
  • What would I do if I had to double revenue?
You see the slight difference? The word "to" in the 2nd question, changes the entire meaning.

"If I had twice the money available to spend on my business, what would I spend it on? " That was my first question to myself, which led to the second... "Without changing my monetary expenses, how would I reach that double revenue as soon as possible?"

So, talking from the standpoint of an authority site with no product of it's own and just CPC and affiliate sales as monetization, you might answer like this:

Have Double Rev
  • Hire a consistent writer to drop in 7 scheduled blog posts a week
  • Hire someone who knows the niche to rewrite a ton of authority content from other sites
  • Hire someone to do nothing but outreach non-stop on articles I write for this purpose
Get to Double Rev
  • Perform keyword research like a mad scientist to find easy ranking opportunities
  • Write the most killer optimized content for those terms above and do non-stop link building to them
  • Do non-stop outreach for contextual links to power up the entire domain and those pages
The game here is that we can't automate or outsource at this point. So we're really having to think and dig deep about what would be the most effective use of our money in the first scenario and of our time in the second.

If you read the pretend lists above you'll notice there's one commonality... "non-stop outreach." Whether you do it yourself or pay someone, this has been determined to be one of the most important activities for your business to be involved in.

You can't pay someone to do it without having the money, and the quickest way to the money is that very same activity.

The idea is that anything that pops out on both lists should be considered valuable and possible to do alone without additional revenue. Plucking those items out, you can form a new list of emphasized, prioritized activities to be done. Then they can be ordered again and assigned a percentage of work time.

There might be a small period of pre-preparation work to where your canvas is ready to attack those things, but then we should ATTACK.

With honesty about our capabilities and our business's needs, we should be able to define where our own efforts should be placed, which is the quickest path to outsourcing those efforts. Then we can do the experiment again, until most everything is taken care of without your constant intervention. The snowball will get bigger, pick up more snow as it rolls, roll faster, and eventually you can ride that baby into Valhalla.

"HAD TO" is very powerful.

For a long time, I was basically just scraping by. If my monthly bills were X,XXX... that's roughly what I was earning. Because my goals were to get what I needed. That's where I was placing my target so that's where I was aiming and that's where I was hitting.

It goes back to my first month in IM.. I quit my job, and I had rent due in ~25 days. I NEEDED to make that money, so I did. During times of complacency, I didn't have that same NEED... so I didn't, thus becoming complacent.

Back