Domain for personal branding?

animalstyle

BuSo Pro
Degree
For those that have been down this road:

When building a personal brand, do you recommend building it on a brandable domain name, or yourname.com/.net?

Why?

Are you building yourself and your name up as a brand or are you just building a brand? If you are the brand then use your name.

Thinking of building me up as a brand.

I built my old portfolio on my own name domain name and came up with a brand name back in college that I've been redirecting to my personal domain name. It wasn't until recently that I started building it out and hope to have it up soon to take on some new clients.

I want to see if I can test out some things on my personal domain but use the brand for all the real work and whatever works well. My brand is fortunate enough to have an address in a different nearby city, so it should be interesting to see if I can get my name to rank where I am and do the same for my brand.

In the end, I wouldn't be able to part ways with my personal domain name, because it is my name. However, a branded idea doing the same type of work is something that I could sell off if I want to later on if things go well and I don't feel like doing that anymore.

Back