Does Traffic Drop This Time of Year?

Degree
Hey,

we have a few sites that rank well in the US, we usually receive between 60k - 80k unique views per month. Since the end of June we have seen a slight drop off in traffic, however we haven't dropped any significant keywords. We picked up a bit in August, however I was wondering if other experience this with the US summer holidays? Also we were thinking this could be a lull due to people not searching/ spending before peak Christmas spending?

We have done enough hypothesising and wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this?

Thanks guys!

What's the last 2-4 years done in terms of traffic around the end of summer?

Is your primary traffic source from search engines?

If there were no drops in the last 2-4 years around this time and your primary source of traffic is indeed search engines you might be experiencing a search traffic drop due to Google introducing some new Rich Media/Snippets in your niche (like FAQs or images or video carousels).

I can tell you that end of July to August is always a weird lull for one of my projects then September things go nuts. People love their summer vacations and have less money during the end of summer.

Hey,

we have a few sites that rank well in the US, we usually receive between 60k - 80k unique views per month. Since the end of June we have seen a slight drop off in traffic, however we haven't dropped any significant keywords. We picked up a bit in August, however I was wondering if other experience this with the US summer holidays? Also we were thinking this could be a lull due to people not searching/ spending before peak Christmas spending?

We have done enough hypothesising and wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this?

Thanks guys!

It depends on the niche. I get a slowdown in organic search traffic every summer and then it picks back up around this time, so what you're experiencing could be totally normal.

Does the traffic drop for "boat rental" this time of the year? Yup. Does it skyrocket for "Halloween costumers"? Yup.

Unless you give some direction as far as your niche goes, it's tough to give you an educated answer. If you don't want to give any more details then comparing YOY traffic from Google Analytics and putting your main keyword in Google Trends is probably your best bet.

I'm seeing a drop in conversions on my site, although traffic remains the same. Traffic is actually increasing, but this could be the first month I don't have an increase in revenue over the previous month since the start of the year.

My Ezoic earnings are set to double this month, which seems to verify there are no issues with traffic. As you say, I'll just put it down to people not spending money after the summer, and hopefully saving up for the holiday season.

If there were no drops in the last 2-4 years around this time and your primary source of traffic is indeed search engines you might be experiencing a search traffic drop due to Google introducing some new Rich Media/Snippets in your niche (like FAQs or images or video carousels).
yes, if you're not getting them, snippets can and will wreck you

It depends on the niche. I get a slowdown in organic search traffic every summer and then it picks back up around this time, so what you're experiencing could be totally normal.
Everyone is being conservative before Black Friday and Christmas hits!

What's the last 2-4 years done in terms of traffic around the end of summer?

Is your primary traffic source from search engines?

I can tell you that end of July to August is always a weird lull for one of my projects then September things go nuts. People love their summer vacations and have less money during the end of summer.

Thanks everyone!! Yes our main drivers of traffic are search engines and Pinterest. The site is only really ramped up last November, so we don't have any historical data to lean on. We were just wondering if this summer lull hits most sites, as we assumed coming into it, it would be our busiest time. However from everyone's comments above, we totally see why it drops, people spending more on vacations, spending less time inside on devices.

I'm seeing a drop in conversions on my site, although traffic remains the same. Traffic is actually increasing, but this could be the first month I don't have an increase in revenue over the previous month since the start of the year.

My Ezoic earnings are set to double this month, which seems to verify there are no issues with traffic. As you say, I'll just put it down to people not spending money after the summer, and hopefully saving up for the holiday season.

yes, if you're not getting them, snippets can and will wreck you
100% do find Google decides your an authority on some things and awards snippets for minuscule parts of your site?

Back