Do WooCommerce Sites Have Slow Page Speed?

GMerov

BuSo Pro
Degree
Are WooComm sites generally slow to load? The one I'm building seems to be. It's hosted over at godaddy. And does having SSL cert also contribute to slow load?

Thanks in advance!

@GMerov, Depending on your hosting plan, I'd guess it's a shared plan, which are almost always the bottleneck. Generally, hosts like Godaddy and Hostgator are slow, especially for shared plans, so I'd avoid them if possible.

SSL (TLS) does technically have less speed potential than HTTP, though to what degree is always the question. In this case, particularly for an ecommerce site, TLS is pretty much a requirement anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, maybe it's a few extra milliseconds. Not a big deal.

I'd run the site through this tool: GTMetrix
Then start checking over the Pagespeed, Yslow, and Waterfall tabs to get a sense of where some of the major problems areas are.

@GMerov

Just like a lot of things in life you don't get something for nothing in the hosting world. Shared hosting is typically pretty bad. Most shared hosting providers oversell their hardware. There are the rare exceptions, but they typically don't last or get bought out. If you are looking to get more consistent performance consider getting a VPS. You get a better slice of the server performance and you can even get managed ones if you are willing to pay for it. Costs more, but you get more.

Also yes, SSL does have a performance impact, but it is pretty small. You should not worry about it.

@turbin3 @Rageix ... thanks! Yslow 64% ...begins by giving the site four straight Fs! Pagespeed is super fast 94% and Waterfall is something I'll take a long look having just signed up to GTMetrix.

Speaking of signing up, I just grabbed a fresh new BuSo badge.

Thanks again!

Back