DigitalOcean is killing it this year

Degree
They halved their prices or doubled the performance depending on whether you are a user- or about to be one. My tier literally doubled in value across the board!

Standard-Plans-Table.png

I may have to assess my own bang-for-buck chart for my next deployment. What beats this?!

They seem to finally be competing on ram size and cores with Linode finally. One reason I never used DO in the past is because the specs always seemed worse for the price.

Interesting to note that now DO is offering more storage than Linode on their offerings. For most people this isn't significant I don't think, but interesting none the less. Wonder if Linode will fire back?

Edit: I also just noticed on their high end plans they are offering a lot more cores than Linode, with about the same amount of ram. Pretty impressive.

Yeah, those prices are great, and they're busted up into so many segments, where as with other companies you get a fraction of the options and can't gain entry until a much higher dollar point.

I compared it with some managed VPS hosting with cPanel, because that's my frame of reference. When you hit the equivalent level they're still priced competitively but lack in the storage department. They still hang in there in the bandwidth department though.

When you provision a droplet, you have to go as far as install PHP, MySQL, and anything else you want to use, right? This is an unmanaged option? Is there any interface to get all that done?

When you provision a droplet, you have to go as far as install PHP, MySQL, and anything else you want to use, right? This is an unmanaged option? Is there any interface to get all that done?

There is a one-click install for LAMP or LEMP. And you get everything in that stack. If you want any faster than that you can use the free tier of Serverpilot to install a reverse-proxy Nginx + LAMP into the droplet, and then depart from Serverpilot and use this trick to get the paid tier benefit.

They are giving me the option to retain the same server specs, and pay half the price. These guys are the new standard for goodwill and earning loyalty points.

V95DOLW.png

Does that mean the $5 p/m plan is finally good enough to host multiple Wordpress sites on?

Does that mean the $5 p/m plan is finally good enough to host multiple Wordpress sites on?

Assuming it's not getting much traffic, you could probably host multiple blogs on it. Don't think performance will be all that great. Just from prev experience, 1GB of ram is probably the biggest issue as it's easy to run in to that limit. the $10/mo is definitely good enough though to run multiple blogs on.

If low cost, multi-site WordPress is required- I'd imagine running WordPress completely in the backend, and use a static site generator plugin to publish the files, routed by nginx. You could probably get a lot of mileage with $5 this way since you control the dynamicity of WP

Something like (not a recommendation):
- https://wordpress.org/plugins/simply-static/
- or your own PHP curl-and-paste solution (not hard)

Back