Content Production: Agency vs In-House Writers

Degree
Hi Guys,

I'm at crossroads with this aspect of the business and would love your input on this topic.

Lately, I realized the content agency i've been using exclusively for the last 4 years suddenly dropped in quality. I'm talking from ~ 85% average quality content to 50%; average, poorly written content that reads like the work of a robot or a cheap $15 writer.

Previously, the articles were OK and i only need to do small edits. But lately, they're so bad that i spend more time editing, sometimes even rewrite the whole thing. What's more surprising is that they have "editors" that supposedly review and approve content before sending.

I'm considering other options for long term content production. I've tried to explain my concerns to the management team but it seems they don't even realize they're going downhill. They only try to keep me happy by giving bonus credits, e.t.c whenever i complain, without actually fixing the problem.

I have 2 options in mind: find another decent content agency or hire & manage writers myself. Hiring & managing writers is new area for me so i'm a bit hesitant to go this route, but i'm finding it to be the model for most successful people. It also seems like the more sensible long term solution as you have more influence on the writers, motivation, e.t.c and can receive feedback from them. With an agency, you almost never get to hear from the writers, so hard to improve your processes.

I'll appreciate your input on what you think is the best approach from your experience, pitfalls to avoids, e.t.c. Also, how are you handling AI content; especially from the point of agencies & writers potentially using it without disclosing?

Hard to imagine paying good $$ for content only for your writer to give you AI stuff. lol

Last edited:
Get people from upwork and spend a good while interviewing and testing them. I HATE content agencies. They are a utter scams in my experience and stupidily over priced.

My team have been with me for years and it took me a month or two to find them. Once I find good people I treat them really well - bonuses etc and they stay around.

There’s something inside you telling you having your own writing team is the way. So stop being a pussy and go do it.

You’re scared to take that step because you don’t have the required skills. Soooo, get better. Do you actually want to make money, or just post on this site and not do shit?

Back