Content conundrum - a penny for your thoughts?

Sutra

Investor and Business Mentor
BuSo Pro
Degree
My niche has a lot of subjects that can be covered. In the more general subjects I was getting good CPC's for paid traffic. In October I added content for a few fringe subjects that coincided with Halloween. The CPC's I got for those pieces of content were the lowest I've had and the traffic skyrocketed. 3 of those fringe articles went viral. I'm still getting traffic to those fringe subject pages, whereas I rarely get traffic to the general subject pages (unless I send people there via ads, newsletter, etc).

Overall, the general subject has more $$ potential. However, the traffic I got on those fringe subjects, and the money I made on them, encourages me to focus on more of that type of content...follow the money!

My conundrum is this: Do I create both types of content (they are loosely related but the fringe stuff may alienate the general audience)? Or, do I create a completely separate site for the fringe stuff? I really dislike the idea of splitting my focus but the "follow the money" thought keeps coming back.

I have thought about just keeping the fringe content off the main page, or perhaps on a subdomain, but not sure if that's the best answer.

To make it more clear here's an example:

Say the general niche is Cosplay. And during October I created articles on scary/deranged Cosplay outfits. Those scary/deranged pieces of content went viral, skyrocketed in traffic, and brought in a profit. The regular Cosplay has not brought in a profit but has more $ potential overall.

There is overlap in interest but the regular Cosplayers don't want to keep seeing scary/deranged stuff. They want happier stuff. Thus, I'll alienate them if keep putting up scary stuff.

What would you do in this situation?

Last edited:
The main question is this: "Why haven't you made more money from the potentially more profitable niche?"

If you can figure out an answer for that and find a solution to get the $$$ out of that niche, then stay with the more profitable one.

If you can't, then I would go with what is working.

Follow the money.

I'd still create the other articles as well but I'd mostly follow the money.

Don't create a subdomain. Put them all on the same domain and use internal links heavily.

The main question is this: "Why haven't you made more money from the potentially more profitable niche?"

If you can figure out an answer for that and find a solution to get the $$$ out of that niche, then stay with the more profitable one.

If you can't, then I would go with what is working.

I think part of the reason is because I created lots of "Top List" type of articles.

From my experience so far, it seems the general audience is less into viral/topical news. They are more into how-to's, guides - all practical and useful stuff. And they are the type to purchase lots of high priced physical goods. Huge potential for affiliate sales.

The fringe audience loves sensational, viral stuff. They LOVE to engage with and share that type of content. Some of it also stirs up controversy . You get people in the comments taking one side and others taking the other side. Thus they keep coming back to the articles and sharing them.

The general niche has more $ potential but it's potential unrealized so far. It's just a "possibility" down the line. Whereas, profit HAS been realized from the fringe audience.

Follow the money.

I'd still create the other articles as well but I'd mostly follow the money.

Don't create a subdomain. Put them all on the same domain and use internal links heavily.

Can you clarify what you mean about using internal links heavily? Do you mean to link the fringe content to the general content and vice/versa?

Yes that's exactly what I mean. Especially from the "fringe" to the articles you want to get search traffic.

If you keep it all on one domain, as @Calamari has suggested, then you're helping ensure success on both sides. As the fringe articles get shares, links, etc., it'll boost the power of the other articles.

Here's what you can do, assuming this is Wordpress. Tag any article with something like "fringe." Then go into your homepage loop (you might have to rewrite it to some extent, but it's easy with a few google searches) and tell it to act like it always does but don't show any article with the tag "fringe".

Now they can flow through your category pages, and exist like normal but you don't shove them down your more mature user's throats and run them off.

Yes that's exactly what I mean. Especially from the "fringe" to the articles you want to get search traffic.

Awesome. Will do.

If you keep it all on one domain, as @Calamari has suggested, then you're helping ensure success on both sides. As the fringe articles get shares, links, etc., it'll boost the power of the other articles.

Here's what you can do, assuming this is Wordpress. Tag any article with something like "fringe." Then go into your homepage loop (you might have to rewrite it to some extent, but it's easy with a few google searches) and tell it to act like it always does but don't show any article with the tag "fringe".

Now they can flow through your category pages, and exist like normal but you don't shove them down your more mature user's throats and run them off.

Wonderful. I'll do exactly that.

I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to split the site. That was gnawing at me. Glad I don't have to split it. Things are a lot more clear now. I appreciate your help @Calamari and @Ryuzaki. Thanks for your feedback as well el Taco Gato aka @TacoCat.

Back