Competing With Big Companies While Promoting Their Products

Degree
So...there's this somewhat well-known company in this vertical I'm in. They go by the name of bluewidgets.com. However, they use Super Blue Widgets as the title tag on their page.

They own bluewidgets.com and they also own superbluewidgets.com which redirects to bluewidgets.com.

Someone else owns superbluewidgets.net but the page is underdeveloped and not ranking.

I own superbluewidgets.org and want to rank for Super Blue Widgets which gets around 25,000 searches per month. I'm guessing that most of the searches for this term are people looking for this company's web site.

I'd also like to promote through the Big Company's aff program but obviously not use their logos or anything like that. Just a straight up promotion of the products in this vertical and then link to their site.

Now, I'm not asking for legal advice here as I can get that through the proper channel. But for those that have experience with this, I'd like to know:

- Will this company most likely be okay with me using this technique to rank and promote their products through their aff program if it's not stated otherwise on their Terms and Conditions page?

- BlueWidgets.com is ranking for Super Blue Widgets now simply because they use it in their title tag on their main site. How much will it help for me to have SuperBlueWidgets.org to rank over them?

- How much do I have to build out the site for Google to rank it? Does it need to have more than 1 page of content and how would you structure the content to promote the site or products of the site?

- Does this project seem at all worth pursuing for around 25,000 searches per month?

I'm no expert, but you are probably not going to be able to quickly take over a 25,000 search-per-month keyword with a single page of content on a brand new domain. Especially if that keyword is a brand term (which it sounds like it is) and you are competing with the brand itself.

You'd be better off targeting lower-volume, long-tail keywords with buyer intent, such as 'Super Blue Widget Reviews', 'Where to buy Super Blue Widgets', 'Super Blue Widgets vs Super Red Widgets', etc. As your site ages and your backlink profile grows, you'll be able to rank for the more competitive, higher-volume keywords.

That's not to say it isn't possible, but I wouldn't think it would be easy. If you already have an established site in this vertical, the authority and credibility you've already built on that site would be more beneficial than simply having a new exact match domain. Create some new content around the brand term, interlink it all, promote it, do outreach, etc.

Thanks for the response.

*** IMPORTANT***

I should state though so as not to confuse you and others that they sell a bunch of products, not just widgets.

So when I used the example of BlueWidgets.com and SuperBlueWidgets.com, I probably should've said they own NicheStore.com and SuperNicheStore.com

- Will this company most likely be okay with me using this technique to rank and promote their products through their aff program if it's not stated otherwise on their Terms and Conditions page?

If you're that worried - ask them. No one on this board can answer this for you. I'd image they won't care if you're promoting their products.

If "Super Blue Widgets" is not their brand name, but just the name of the generalized product / service - then they can't do anything anyway.

- BlueWidgets.com is ranking for Super Blue Widgets now simply because they use it in their title tag on their main site. How much will it help for me to have SuperBlueWidgets.org to rank over them?

There are too many variables to provide you an answer. Exact match domains will help somewhat...but it's just one part of the marketing mix.

- How much do I have to build out the site for Google to rank it? Does it need to have more than 1 page of content and how would you structure the content to promote the site or products of the site?

More content = better rankings. The digital strategy crash course has all the info you need on how to structure your site.

- Does this project seem at all worth pursuing for around 25,000 searches per month?

No one could possibly answer this for you with the limited information you provided. If you can rank and bank with the site with the resources available to you - then do it. If you can't, then don't!

Back