Cold climates are bullshit

animalstyle

BuSo Pro
Degree
I am at my wits end here. Lived in cold climates most of my life - had one stint (5 years) down south in the desert and couldn't have been happier or healthier. I just recovered from my 3rd cold in 6 weeks yesterday, felt great. Now today back with a fever. Productivity gets murdered because I can't think straight. Everything I try leaves me still sick. Literally healthy and happy April-Nov and sick Dec-March.

Any secret weapons to fix this shit?

I wish I was in cold weather, I hate being so hot that I can hardly work properly

I think there is reasonable cold/hot and then the extremes. Once your out of the norms it gets tough to handle

I was sick 3 times in 3 months the beginning of this year. Sucked.

In one of those Men's Health secret book or something, haha, I once read that you should send the hot air from a blow dryer into your nose, for a few minutes, at the first signs of a cold. The reasoning was that the virus is present in your nasal passage. By blowing the hot air in there you kill some of it so it lessens the effects of the cold.

Once your immune system takes a hit, I'd say its real easy to catch the next variation of the same illness, despite antibodies and all that trying to play catch up. I'm pretty resiliant, myself, but I don't do anything in particular to stay that way. I have been taking Vitamin C daily for the past couple years, along with a boatload of other supplements. But I was resilient before that too. I live in a moderate climate as well. I'm just lucky all around and rubbing it in your face. Take that, sucka!

Are you eating a healthy diet? Hows the quality of sleep? are you getting vitamin C?

My fiance and I live together and it seems like we've been raising a god damn super bug together, passing the fucking germs back and forth letting them transform into a mutant virus. We are on-and-off sick cycles.

I do eat healthy, I exercise, take vitamin C, multivitamins, etc Basically same as Ryu, except I am not doing anything in particular to get sick as hell.

You bet my ass Ill be blowing that freaking hair dryer in my face at the next sniffle.

@Ryuzaki you can suck it.

Gotta say the vent has made me feel much better. Long periods of sickness can really pull on the psyche. Thanks guys

I currently live up north and it's friggin cold. Lots of crazy fucks up here go snowmobiling and skiing and frolic around on the frozen lakes.

I should get out and do more of that stuff.

But who am I kidding.. I don't leave my house.

Cold weather is awesome. Maybe just accept your fate that your blood line can't live on?

Really though, I think it's just diet and sleep. I slipped on both of those last year and got bronchitis which developed into pneumonia. I'm just now recovering from that crap.

I think you're right about diet and sleep. Even proper care there I think you're still in for some head colds in the cold climate.

@Ryuzaki
Would you say that taking Vitamin C improved your health significantly in any other aspect (since you stated to have a good immune system)? Better mood, less tired?
Currently researching which supplements to take. As of right now I am only supplementing on omega 3.
Any personal experience with long term usage of Vitamin D, Ginkgo Biloba and Ginseng?

[Vitamin D, Ginkgo Biloba and Ginseng?

Highly recommend vitamin D. I'd go get your blood checked and see if you're deficient. Colder climates are horrible, and us being computer geeks doesn't help things.

I like fish oil, vitamin D and spirulina/chlorella. Examine.com is hot for supplement efficacy and research.

Vitamin D was a huge factor in immediately boosting my mood to more reasonable levels. Consistent daily usage helps me keep a positive outlook, mainly because I'm not getting enough sun.

I take Fish Oil because I don't eat enough fish. Multivitamin to make sure I'm hitting things across the board.

I'll note Vitamin C again since I'm listing everything.

In terms of mentality, I love Kava Kava extract in pill form. Totally destroys social anxiety for me.

I've taken Fluoxetine, 5-HTP, St. John's Wort... and in combinations. I've got low serotonin issues which leave me with a bleak outlook at times. I'm taking Fluoxetine now as a general booster.

I microdose Adderal. Where people will take 15g twice a day, I'll take like 0.25g. This doesn't make me speedy, but it gives me a boost of dopamine, of which I also feel I have low levels.

I'm also back on daily and sometimes twice daily Pramiracetam for mental fog removal, less mental chatter, and focus (not by boosting focus but by removing the allure of distraction).

I also take Creatine (working out and for cognition) and Choline since Pramiracetam increases the uptake of it, need to keep my levels together. Protein shakes too.

That's the current regimine. I'm not some supplement and nootropic nut, but I've toyed with lots of things. Piracetam, Oxiracetam, Aniracetam... LSD, Pscilocybin, Opium, THC, Caffiene, Alcohol. The current goal is productivity and the the current "stack" is working well for me. Your mileage may vary.

In terms of health, I eat as healthy as I can get myself to, I run about 2 miles a day, walk 1 mile, and try to hit the gym for heavy weight lifting 5x a week, but usually ends up around 3x with me doubling up on some days to catch up.

I sleep anywhere from 7 to 10 hours a night, depending on the night.

Inject some test, you'll be GTG soon

But srs, hope you get better soon bro

Last edited:
Thanks.

I do vita d, c, and a multi. smoothies with Whey protein, kale, spinach, yogurt, berries and a banana every day.

Looks like I should add some Vitamin C and D to my list.

@animalstyle take cold showers in the mornings and Vitamin C and D. That will improve your immune system + you will feel better in the mornings.

The cold shower forces blood from your muscles to the surface of your skin (in order to keep you warm). While the blood rushes to the surface it pulls out toxins and other substances which may be lingering deep in the body's tissue. The toxins then are released into the blood stream to make their way out of your body. Essentially it's like flushing your body of harmful toxins which naturally should escape through the blood stream but just haven't yet for whatever reason.

It'll also jolt you wide awake in the process.

Winter beyond The Wall has been so mild this year. Only one snow storm thus far, and the temp has barely dropped below -10 (That's about 14 fahrenheit for those of you in the lower kingdoms.)

Usually around this time I'd be knee-deep in snow and dealing with -40 (Which is also -40f, oddly enough). Haven't even had to bust out the toque and parka yet... But January and February probabally won't be so forgiving.

I think it builds character. On the one hand, it's like... why the fuck would anybody choose to stop and settle down here? But on the other hand, it brings people together too. Helping your neighbors push their car out of the snow drift, or when the power goes out and the entire community huddles together naked at the curling rink for warmth.

• Shower as early as you can, with water as cold as you can bear.
  • Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Magensium, Zinc (from natural sources if you can, otherwise take supplements)
  • Sunlight whenever it is available
  • Moderate exercise
  • Plenty of sleep
  • Stay away from EVERYONE -healthy looking guys and girls often carry the latest ninja mutant flu virus.
  • Your keyboard has more bacteria than your bathroom. Clean it regularly.
  • Wash hands with warm running water, if you are meeting and shaking hands with a lot of people.

@animalstyle take cold showers in the mornings and Vitamin C and D. That will improve your immune system + you will feel better in the mornings.
I'm with you on the vitamins but fuck the cold showers, haha.

Hot showers are my BFF.

I'm with you on the vitamins but fuck the cold showers, haha.

Hot showers are my BFF.
I totally understand you, I have cold showers (by cold showers I mean the coldest water that you can get), bu they are good.

Cold showers in the morning, hot showers in the evening.

Bananas, greens etc. are not the best foods for cold climates...

Besides diet, often overheating our homes is also one of the biggest problems. When it's cold outside you don't want to have 20 Celsius inside, 12-15 c is maximum. If someone feels cold at 15 than start eating more calories, and ware good warm sweater (and warm pants).

As for diet, there is only one kind of diet that will keep one healthy and comfortable in cold climates, that is meat and animal fat based diet. In general vegetable fats are rubbish, body needs range of sat fats to produce hormones and cholesterol which is one of the strongest endogenous anti inflammatory agents we have (coconut oil is good but won't cut it by itself).

Here is some good read about this kind of eating.

Sure, we don't need that much calories while seating behind our desks so taste becomes our best advisor. If one can eat mostly animal products based diet then there is no way he will ever overeat. It's simple and works, especially in cold climates.

So, have some fatty cuts and enjoy your health :wink:

Fatty-steak-1000x500.jpg

Back