Changing theme and removing Elementor to speed up site - best approach?

Degree
My site is less than a year old and I used elementor on all pages and posts and have a slow theme. I regret that now but at the time is was an easy way for me to get a site up quickly without knowing anything.

I have written about 200 posts and the site is performing quite well and currently gets about 45k sessions a month so just under the mediavine target.

I have tried various ways to speed the site up as it scores badly but with limited knowledge and various plugins and cdn I have not improved it much.

I recently bought kadence and want to change theme and get rid of elementor to speed the site up.

I read somewhere that I might have to manually copy and paste every post over to a staging site otherwise the site will still be bloated with css etc remaining.

I am hoping for a quick solution but like most things suspect it will be a hassle that needs to be done. Annoying as I am just ready to get a VA to help speed up posting.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this?

Can I just change theme and click back to classic editor rather than manually do each one?

How badly will it affect my site as I have some nice position 1 posts that bring in good traffic and I am worried that I will lose that.

Should I wait to see if I get into mediavine first?

Should I continue posting or put all new posts on the staging site and release in Jan.

Not looking forward to it but don't want to have an even bigger headache down the line

For what its worth, my Elementor site is now at all green, after upgrading my theme to the newest version and implementing image compression and WP Rocket.

Elementor also finally seem to take Pagespeed seriously and might have changed some things to make it load faster. In any case, as you can see, I am in the green, coming from very, very bad PageSpeed rankings (< 10).

LUFNaUY.png

So I wouldn't go and do all that work, until you've tried:
  • WP Rocket
  • Image compression
  • Elementor update
Don't look at the testing tools, but wait and see what turns up in Search Console.

Back