Can you use old content from old site on new site?

mj22

War Mongering.
BuSo Pro
Degree
As the title states, im wondering if i can use content for a homepage from a site that we had 4 years ago. We are getting back into that same niche now, 4 years later. The old site is gonzo out of the cache, has been for a long time. The landing page content that was ranking and converting really well i want to reuse. Back then it took a panda penalty, NOT from our content, but some asshat somehow hacked our site and we ended up with (no exaggeration) 5k wierd ass garbled pages under review section and took a penalty for that. (i was busy with other projects and i missed it happening). Anyway, its been that long and i used copyscape and another plagiarism checker and it says its 100% unique and no dupe content out there. Is this safe to use on a new site? I ask because i never reuse old content, not ever, i have never done it before; also because its just good converting sales copy.

If anyone has any wisdom from experience id appreciate it.

thanks for the feedback and i appreciate it @Darth , but i dont trust what google says, anyone have first hand experience at all with this? I feel dumb for even asking and making this thread, but i just havnt actually done it before. I was wondering if anyone else did and if it effected them or not. I guess im always thinking (seo wise) i gotta be working like the sky is falling. i dont want to shoot my self in the foot before i get this one out of the gate.

Ill just have it rewritten to be on the safe side maybe. I read google has a memory of penalized content and i didnt know if it would carry over at all or not. Like, its been 4 yrs, so id think not, but figured id ask anyway.

You are fine just reusing it, I have done so in the past. remember that there is no penalty for duplicate content, there might be issues when google has to try to find out which one is most relevant, but that is not the case here.
It's your original content and you are free to use it in any way you like.

ill prob still try change it up a bit before letting it get indexed. ill rock some socials from Red at it (indexation), and some lower hanging fruit like web 2.0s, some legit profiles, comments ect, and a G stack at it and see how it reacts.(trust and a lil bit of Gorg love). will have case study going soon on it. Anchors will be naked urls, branded, and generic.

thanks for the input @lion1978

this is an ecomm site with 10k+ words on it between products and blog, i thought id have something going in the lab a while ago, i guess i was wrong. I forgot how much shit goes into a legit ecomm site, its been a while.

I'd guess that the Panda problem is cleared up, in association with the domain, since it's not been indexed for years. And too, since Panda isn't really a penalty for malicious behavior like Penguin is, I wouldn't worry about it at all. No penalty = no problem.

If you think of it in those terms, countless of us have re-used content from old sites, sites we bought, sites we found databases for from the past, etc. It's always worked just fine for me.

If it is ecomm site then I'd seperate out the blog/blogging to eiteher branded web 2.0's or social media instead of having it on the same domain as your ecomm site, that way you can more easily avoid keyword canibalization.

im not sure what you mean, im buliding a machine. i understand cani ( i been at this seo shit since 2007 successfully), i need sleep, will be back shortly haha

Ahh I probably mesread something then...it happens.

Back