Can anyone at BuSo fix corrupt vBulletin Databases?

Nat

Degree
I've got a vBulletin database that is corrupt. I'd really like to restore some of the old posts, however, I don't know much about SQL or vB. I'd be willing to pay what I can for restoring threads, members, etc?

I've already gone through all the stuff/tools that vB provides. Trust me, the DB is a little wack. It has the information, but its not correctly ordered (or something like that).

What do you mean by "corrupt"? It's a lot of work restoring a database, but it'll depend on the size of the data, where it's located, and how it got corrupted. I don't know if you "fully" have the data or you just think you do. This is like at least 10+ hours worth of work if you are in the 1+GB range or it can be 10 mins depending on what's really the problem.

If it's out of order, it depends on how many rows and if there's a pattern or not.

If it's a corrupt database/tables, you can try using the repair utilities

mysqlcheck --repair --databases .... and so on, or through phpmyadmin (just save a copy of the broken db to avoid making it worse)

What do you mean by "corrupt"? It's a lot of work restoring a database, but it'll depend on the size of the data, where it's located, and how it got corrupted. I don't know if you "fully" have the data or you just think you do. This is like at least 10+ hours worth of work if you are in the 1+GB range or it can be 10 mins depending on what's really the problem.
By corrupt, I mean that the tools vB gives provides for merging / fixing databases isn't fixing the database. I'm not experienced in SQL or vB so I can't really say too much more. From what I can tell, it seems as though all the information is there, just jumbled or out of order.
If it's out of order, it depends on how many rows and if there's a pattern or not.
If it's a corrupt database/tables, you can try using the repair utilities
mysqlcheck --repair --databases .... and so on, or through phpmyadmin (just save a copy of the broken db to avoid making it worse)
The only thing I've tried are the tools vB provides. How technical would the mysqlcheck repair be?

That sounds like a vB problem versus a mysql corruption problem.

So you merged 2 or more separate db's with the vb tool and then got issues?

I don't know anything about this but I think you'd get more help if you mentioned whether you're willing to pay for the fix or not. A lot of people here are super helpful without asking for anything in return but for a job like this it can help if you're willing to compensate for their time especially if its a total mess.

That sounds like a vB problem versus a mysql corruption problem.

Yes, I believe it is a vB problem. Something went wrong when the site backups were made. One day the site crashed, and none of the backups functioned properly.

So you merged 2 or more separate db's with the vb tool and then got issues?

Nope, one day the site crashed, and all the backups that had been made were 'corrupt', they didn't work. vB provides some tools for merging old databases with a new database, etc, and those tools aren't fixing the problem... at least when I tried.

I don't know anything about this but I think you'd get more help if you mentioned whether you're willing to pay for the fix or not. A lot of people here are super helpful without asking for anything in return but for a job like this it can help if you're willing to compensate for their time especially if its a total mess.
In the OP I said I was willing to pay what I can... I'm not super familiar with the BuSo site protocols about offering money in forum. But yes, I don't think this is something I have the skills to do, and I would be willing to pay some money to fix it.

Maybe try taking screenshots to just fully show the issue, otherwise it's kind of hard to say a solution. What @dave r said about using phpMyAdmin instead of just just vBulletin tools, vBulletin repair tools can still leave areas 'untouched' (source).

Reactions: Nat
How big is the database? (in MB or GB is fine)

Reactions: Nat
Maybe try taking screenshots to just fully show the issue, otherwise it's kind of hard to say a solution. What @dave r said about using phpMyAdmin instead of just just vBulletin tools, vBulletin repair tools can still leave areas 'untouched' (source).
Thanks for the advice. Its been a while since I did anything with the old db and I don't have it loaded up yet in a way that would be easy to take any screenshots. Thanks for the source. If I have time to load it up, I'll add more information/pictures.

How big is the database? (in MB or GB is fine)
I believe it is about 500MB. There were a lot of threads and a lot of users, but not absolutely massive.

I'll PM you.

Back