BuSo Lightning - The Fastest Wordpress Theme

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Ryuzaki, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Ryuzaki

•  
    •  
    Ryuzaki 女性以上のお金 Staff Member

Degree:
    What is BuSo Lightning?

The Fastest Wordpress Theme. It gives your users what they want when they want it, and gives you an SEO edge over your organic competitors. Oh, and it’s fully responsive.

[​IMG]

Why Did I Create BuSo Lightning?

We've had some great threads about page speed, optimization, and the many benefits of having a fast website. They've resulted in many of us toiling over our clunky, bloated Wordpress themes. On the one hand, you don't want to use too many plugins but on the other hand, when you buy a theme that already has 1000 features built-in then the result is sloppy on the backend, slow on the frontend, and an absolute headache when you try to optimize or customize their features.

There are other options besides WordPress, but WP is still the practical choice for most users for a ton of reasons. Builder Society decided to push WP to the limits when it comes to blazing speed.

Who is BuSo Lightning For?

Lightning is for those who value:

[ ] Incredibly fast loading-times.
    [ ] Clean, minimal design that you can customize and build upon.
    [ ] Better search engine rankings, better conversions.​

Choose any 3. Choose Buso Lightning.

"Okay... So Prove It!"
    and I shall...
    Exhibit A: Shared Hosting

Here is an example of Lightning at it's core. This is what can be achieved when you're pulling down only HTML & CSS with efficient PHP and a clean MySQL database:

[​IMG]
    Performance Grade = 100? Perfection.
    HTTP Requests = 2? No frills, and fully functional.
    Page size = 5.6kb? Just HTML & CSS & System fonts.

Is a load time of 664ms that amazing? To most people, yes. To us concerned with page speed? It's okay. This is what you get on a typical shared server. This test was performed on a shared Hostgator server I use for staging and development. Since most people are still rocking a shared server, this would be an eye-opener.

Imagine having this sucker on a VPS or a Dedicated server?
    You don't have to imagine, let me show you...

Exhibit B: Virtual Private Server

Here's what's changing... I wouldn't leave your users hanging with an inconsistent experience by serving system fonts, so I added an appealing Google Font. I also filled up the demo with posts including featured images so that the rolling posts on the homepage would display like it would in the wild. Then @The Engineer moved it over to a VPS...

Even though all of these new elements were added, check this out...

[​IMG]
    Performance Grade = 97? Killer. (It's not 100 only because you can't cache 3rd party fonts.)
    Requests = 11. Boss. Even after filling it up with images, it's still coming in at ~50 less requests than other themes.
    Page Size = 141.8kb. Tiny for a blog. That's because I've got Wordpress optimizing image sizes for you so you're serving the exact right size picture instead of displaying huge images squeezed into small areas.
    "Your website is faster than 99% of all tested websites"

and last but not least...

Load Time = 283 ms
    Yes.
    "You're telling me you can load a full-on website in less than 3/10ths of a second? " Yep.
    "And this isn't a flat-file one-page lander? This is a database-backed dynamic Wordpress site?" Yep.

I'd be an asshole if I told you to never settle for less, but didn't help educate you on how to achieve it.

I'm going to do you one better. We can discuss page speed optimization in the Board Room forum. Right now, I just want to give you the ability, no strings attached...

That's right.

FREE.
    Don't worry, it's not cut and run. We've submitted this beast of a theme to Wordpress.org so we can be in their official repository to push out updates and advances. And they will be coming. The Theme Panel you'll find in the Dashboards (that's right, it has a theme panel that gives you some killer options) will be updated to provide even more options based on your feedback. I'll take it all into consideration as long as it doesn't impede the main goal... Speed that strikes the browser as fast as lightning!

Until I add in my own update notifier or it's approved in Wordpress.org's repository, it'll be member's only. This way we'll have a way to announce new versions if anything critical changes in Wordpress before then.

Member's Only
    Demo & Download

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now Version 2.0! Click to read the Update post!

2. manga

•  
    manga

Degree:
    Thanks a lot for making and putting it up for free. Haven't tested it yet but i'm sure i'll be using it on my next project :D

Ryuzaki and MetaData like this.
  3. Broland

•  
    Broland Knowledge = Magic

Degree:
    This looks good, and great timing with the mobile updates happening. I'm sure lots of people will be looking for a new fast responsive theme. I'll try this out soon.

Ryuzaki and MetaData like this.
  4. Quantum

Quantum

Degree:
    Needed to shake up my site after having it been stuck for awhile so I thought I would try.

Before

[​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

Thanks @Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki, Golan and MetaData like this.
  5. MichelangeSEO

MichelangeSEO

Degree:
    I'm planning on doing an experiment with an expired domain. Definitely going to use this theme for it. Thanks!

MetaData likes this.
  6. Brent Dunn

Brent Dunn PPCMode Founder

Degree:
    Do you have results where you tested the theme from the same location?

Depending on where your site is, I'd be California is much quicker than Netherlands regardless.

Either way this theme looks pretty kick ass and will be giving it a try for a new project.

Thanks @Ryuzaki

7. Ryuzaki

•  
    •  

Degree:
    Thanks for all of the comments, everyone. Brent, good catch on that test being from multiple locations. I'd love to see the difference with testing both being done from Cali.

Special thanks to the gentleman who sent me the long conversation with the in-depth review!

8. Quantum

Quantum

Degree:
    Good call. Will test again for the same server. The site is hosted on the east coast tho so it should be fair game

9. animalstyle

•  
    animalstyle

Degree:
    Mobile menu isn't working on my iPhone. Anyone else see this?

10. Stephen

•  
    Stephen Tired veteran

Degree:
    I'm liking the look of this.
    Is there any plan to offer a release without the footer link back here? I've never been a fan of those.

11. Murk

Murk

Degree:
    Dope!!, I'll test this out in a few, thanks

MetaData likes this.
  12. MetaData

•  
    •  
    MetaData

Degree:
    @animalstyle Thanks for the heads up. Is that on the demo site or when it's installed live on your own site? The reason I ask is we fixed a few bugs between uploading the demo and the version that's actually downloadable, but Ryuzaki is looking into this and we'll have it fixed in the next update asap.

@Stephen You can definitely just hop in and remove the link from the code, we don't have it encrypted or setup so that it breaks the theme or anything like that. We may add an option to the panel to remove it with a click eventually, but if you need a hand taking it out manually for now just shoot me a PM and I'll give you instructions. It's nofollow, but I usually remove those from my themes too so no hard feelings :wink:

Sobol and Stephen like this.
  13. animalstyle

•  
    animalstyle

Degree:
    Both on the demo site, and my site.

14. Ryuzaki

•  
    •  

Degree:
    Theme Update!

Thank you all for all of the feedback. It's given us an amazing idea for a larger 2.0 update in the future.

Right now, I'd like to invite you to try out Buso Lightning v1.1.

What changed?
    • Fixed issue where iPhones didn't recognize the mobile menu's hover function (thanks to @animalstyle for catching this).
    • Improved the clickable regions on the main menu (thanks to @MetaData for the suggestion).
    • Added the ability to hide the top-most menu with a simple checkbox in the Theme Options panel (thanks to @Prentzz for the suggestion).

How Do I Update?

Very soon, we'll be able to push updates to you right through the Wordpress dashboard. In the mean time, if you'd like to update, visit the page linked by the buttons below and download the updated zip file.

You can upload and overwrite the entire theme. If you've made customizations at this point, you can minimize any rollbacks by uploading and overwriting just: header.php, functions.php, and style.css
    Member's Only
    Demo & Download

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks again for all of the feedback. Please don't hesitate to post in this thread or send me a private message with suggestions or criticisms. I'll be considering every bit of it and incorporating things as time moves forward!

15. animalstyle

•  
    animalstyle

Degree:
    Thanks for the update! Working well now.

16. qwianghomingh

qwianghomingh cd mind && rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

Degree:
    Thank you for the theme. However, you left in the clicky tracking script before the closing body in footer.php.

Ryuzaki likes this.
  17. MetaData

•  
    •  
    MetaData

Degree:
    @qwianghomingh Thanks for the heads up! Seems @Ryuzaki was so excited to push out version 1.1 that he forgot to take out the clicky code that's used for the demo version of the theme on BuSoThemes.com - will have that fixed up asap.

The new version is up without any extra clicky codes in there... enjoy!

Quantum and qwianghomingh like this.
  18. Quantum

Quantum

Degree:
    Me neither.... Got a click from the search "Theme By Builder Society", tisk tisk. Was easy to change and get rid of the footprint, but would be convenient to have an option to change it on the dashboard.

MetaData likes this.
  19. MetaData

•  
    •  
    MetaData

Degree:
    @Quantum That's fair, totally get where you're coming from and will be less and less of a concern as more sites continue to adopt the theme, especially once it goes up on wordpress.org. We will include a way to easily remove the footer link in a future update for people who aren't comfortable going into the code of the theme and are concerned about it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    Quantum likes this.
  20. Ryuzaki

•  
    •  

Degree:
    Yeah, totally legit concern. The next update will include an easy "yes or no" checkbox to disable the footer link. For now, you can just edit the footer.php and remove the one line of HTML near the bottom :smile:

Quantum likes this.
  21. lifer

lifer

Degree:
    I'm a little confused on the logo size. It says 400px in width. What's the recommended height? Is the 400px in width to make sure it's mobile friendly?

Would like to move forward with this theme and know it's best practices, thanks

22. Ryuzaki

•  
    •  

Degree:
    Thank you for catching this. This was a remnant of something we tried before going with no limitations on the logo. I've corrected this by removing this wording from future versions.

Attention:
    You can use any width logo!

The only limitation, which is actually a helper, is there is a maximum width of 100% of the container. So if you place in a crazily wide image, it will be reduced down to the proper size, and also resize appropriately for mobile.

If you use something around 500px, it won't begin to resize to mobile until the browser is reduced to that width. If you stretch wider, like on a desktop, it'll stay 500px.

Just remember, as the width is reduced, the height will shrink as well. So if you do opt to use something as wide as 1000px, when it becomes 300-500px or so for mobile, the height is going to get cut by half.

23. lifer

lifer

Degree:
    Awesome, thank you Ryusaki.

24. Romac

Romac

Degree:
    Looks good @Ryuzaki I want to have a static area at the top of the homepage but also to show the latest posts underneath that. I'm having some trouble for some reason, will PM for advice hope you don't mind.

25. learningcurve

•  
    learningcurve Speak of the Devil... It's the Devil!

Degree:
    Question: do you have an option to move the side bar to the left side? Btw, it looks good, just interested in its options and how you can customise it.

MetaData likes this.