Development BuSo Lightning - The Fastest Wordpress Theme

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
What is BuSo Lightning?

The Fastest Wordpress Theme. It gives your users what they want when they want it, and gives you an SEO edge over your organic competitors. Oh, and it’s fully responsive.

Why Did I Create BuSo Lightning?

We've had some great threads about page speed, optimization, and the many benefits of having a fast website. They've resulted in many of us toiling over our clunky, bloated Wordpress themes. On the one hand, you don't want to use too many plugins but on the other hand, when you buy a theme that already has 1000 features built-in then the result is sloppy on the backend, slow on the frontend, and an absolute headache when you try to optimize or customize their features.

There are other options besides WordPress, but WP is still the practical choice for most users for a ton of reasons. Builder Society decided to push WP to the limits when it comes to blazing speed.

Who is BuSo Lightning For?

Lightning is for those who value:

[ ] Incredibly fast loading-times.​
[ ] Clean, minimal design that you can customize and build upon.​
[ ] Better search engine rankings, better conversions.​

Choose any 3. Choose Buso Lightning.

"Okay... So Prove It!"
and I shall...
Exhibit A: Shared Hosting

Here is an example of Lightning at it's core. This is what can be achieved when you're pulling down only HTML & CSS with efficient PHP and a clean MySQL database:

Performance Grade = 100? Perfection.
HTTP Requests = 2? No frills, and fully functional.
Page size = 5.6kb? Just HTML & CSS & System fonts.

Is a load time of 664ms that amazing? To most people, yes. To us concerned with page speed? It's okay. This is what you get on a typical shared server. This test was performed on a shared Hostgator server I use for staging and development. Since most people are still rocking a shared server, this would be an eye-opener.

Imagine having this sucker on a VPS or a Dedicated server?
You don't have to imagine, let me show you...

Exhibit B: Virtual Private Server

Here's what's changing... I wouldn't leave your users hanging with an inconsistent experience by serving system fonts, so I added an appealing Google Font. I also filled up the demo with posts including featured images so that the rolling posts on the homepage would display like it would in the wild. Then @The Engineer moved it over to a VPS...

Even though all of these new elements were added, check this out...

Performance Grade = 97? Killer. (It's not 100 only because you can't cache 3rd party fonts.)
Requests = 11. Boss. Even after filling it up with images, it's still coming in at ~50 less requests than other themes.
Page Size = 141.8kb. Tiny for a blog. That's because I've got Wordpress optimizing image sizes for you so you're serving the exact right size picture instead of displaying huge images squeezed into small areas.
"Your website is faster than 99% of all tested websites"

and last but not least...

Load Time = 283 ms
Yes.
"You're telling me you can load a full-on website in less than 3/10ths of a second? " Yep.
"And this isn't a flat-file one-page lander? This is a database-backed dynamic Wordpress site?" Yep.

I'd be a meanie if I told you to never settle for less, but didn't help educate you on how to achieve it.

I'm going to do you one better. We can discuss page speed optimization in the DevOps forum. Right now, I just want to give you the ability, no strings attached...

That's right.

FREE.
Don't worry, it's not cut and run. We've submitted this beast of a theme to Wordpress.org so we can be in their official repository to push out updates and advances. And they will be coming. The Theme Panel you'll find in the Dashboards (that's right, it has a theme panel that gives you some killer options) will be updated to provide even more options based on your feedback. I'll take it all into consideration as long as it doesn't impede the main goal... Speed that strikes the browser as fast as lightning!

Until I add in my own update notifier or it's approved in Wordpress.org's repository, it'll be member's only. This way we'll have a way to announce new versions if anything critical changes in Wordpress before then.

Member's Only
Demo & Download

Now Version 3.0! Click to read the Update post! (It's even faster!)

And don't forget our Official Support Thread if you need help

manga

BuSo Pro
Degree
Thanks a lot for making and putting it up for free. Haven't tested it yet but i'm sure i'll be using it on my next project :D

Broland

Knowledge = Magic
BuSo Pro
Degree
This looks good, and great timing with the mobile updates happening. I'm sure lots of people will be looking for a new fast responsive theme. I'll try this out soon.

Degree
I'm planning on doing an experiment with an expired domain. Definitely going to use this theme for it. Thanks!

Brent Dunn

PPCMode Founder
Degree
Needed to shake up my site after having it been stuck for awhile so I thought I would try.

Before

After

Thanks @Ryuzaki
Do you have results where you tested the theme from the same location?

Depending on where your site is, I'd be California is much quicker than Netherlands regardless.

Either way this theme looks pretty kick ass and will be giving it a try for a new project.

Thanks @Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Thanks for all of the comments, everyone. Brent, good catch on that test being from multiple locations. I'd love to see the difference with testing both being done from Cali.

Special thanks to the gentleman who sent me the long conversation with the in-depth review!

Degree
Do you have results where you tested the theme from the same location?

Depending on where your site is, I'd be California is much quicker than Netherlands regardless.

Either way this theme looks pretty kick ass and will be giving it a try for a new project.

Thanks @Ryuzaki
Good call. Will test again for the same server. The site is hosted on the east coast tho so it should be fair game

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Theme Update!

Thank you all for all of the feedback. It's given us an amazing idea for a larger 2.0 update in the future.

Right now, I'd like to invite you to try out Buso Lightning v1.1.

What changed?
  • Fixed issue where iPhones didn't recognize the mobile menu's hover function (thanks to @animalstyle for catching this).
  • Improved the clickable regions on the main menu (thanks to @MetaData for the suggestion).
  • Added the ability to hide the top-most menu with a simple checkbox in the Theme Options panel (thanks to @Prentzz for the suggestion).

How Do I Update?

Very soon, we'll be able to push updates to you right through the Wordpress dashboard. In the mean time, if you'd like to update, visit the page linked by the buttons below and download the updated zip file.

You can upload and overwrite the entire theme. If you've made customizations at this point, you can minimize any rollbacks by uploading and overwriting just: header.php, functions.php, and style.css

Member's Only
Demo & Download

Thanks again for all of the feedback. Please don't hesitate to post in the official support thread or send me a private message with suggestions or criticisms. I'll be considering every bit of it and incorporating things as time moves forward!

Last edited:

NeverFrugal

BuSo Pro
Degree
Ryuzaki,

As you already know I'm a big fan of the theme. It's a perfect foundation. For anyone wondering what can be done with it, I used Lightning for the NeverFrugal site with some customisations and it was great - no issues.

Something I've got on my to-do list is to link up the featured images to the post links on the homepage. Right now there's no links on them. Just a little tweak I think the theme would benefit from from a UX perspective.

I also saw you mention somewhere you were going to add customisation options to the back-end. I get why you're doing it, I just hope it doesn't bloat out the theme. I'd be happy to pay for a developer licence if an alternative option was kept updated without any bloat :wink:

Anyway, for anyone considering using the theme I'd highly recommend giving it a go. It's replaced all my old go-to themes.

MetaData

BuSo Pro
Boot Camp
Degree
@NeverFrugal When we add more customization to the backend it will just be optional for people who want it via a separate version of the theme - the most minimal version of Lightning will always be available and free - no dev license needed :smile:

Degree
Nice theme, I think I'll test it out on a few projects..

By the way, for people obsessed by speed, there's more than Pingdom to check various world speeds, try here: uptrends.com/tools/website-speed-test

kingofthewiki

Do itt!
BuSo Pro
Degree
Testing this theme out. Looking good! Thanks for sharing it for Free

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
BuSo Lightning v2.0
Now Available!

Yep, maintained and making you money:

Member's Only
Demo & Download

What's New & Different?

Here's what I slapped in the readme.txt changelog:
= 2.0 =
* jQuery library packaged locally​
* All Javascript combined & minified​
* Deferred Javascript loading to footer​
* Minified CSS​
* Theme Option: Remove Footer Link​
* Meta Description management removed. Use a plugin if you want to use meta tags.​
* Category titles & descriptions added to category pages by default. Disable available in Theme Options.​
* Integrated Customizer. All options removed except to change the main blue text color.​
* Text Editor synced to CSS so exact styling appears as you edit posts​
* Responsive break to Mobile now occurs at 1000px​
* Sidebar now a static 340px width to accommodate display advertising​
* Full Width page template without sidebar available​
* Thumbnails now 425px x 280px. Regenerate thumbnails with a plugin if you desire.​
* Lots of CSS tweaks & cross-browser fixes​

What This Means For You

For starters, this baby is now faster. Less requests, less bandwidth. We're talking about 3 less global requests and another 40kb shaved.

Most of these changes require no intervention from you if you upgrade. There are some I should point out though:
  • Wordpress Customizer
This was coded for the pro's but that doesn't mean everyone can't get a piece of the action. I wanted to make life easy for people just getting started but don't know how to make the one main change that gets asked about: Theme Color.​
As you know, this theme is as minimalistic as it gets. There's only one primary color and it pops on all hyperlinks (and whatever images you add). Changing this color is now as simple as opening the Wordpress Customizer and using the color picker. It only injects 2 short lines of CSS into your header, a negligible difference in file size so don't be afraid to use it!​
You'll also find that I hacked every single other option out of the Customizer so there can be no questions or confusion.​
  • Thumbnail Sizes
I changed the size of the thumbnails. You don't have to do anything for previous thumbnails but you CAN grab a plugin that will regenerate them if you want the higher resolution. There are a few browser widths where I allow the thumbnails to grow larger for aesthetics sake. They won't be crazy blurry or anything, but if you're a perfectionist, just regenerate those babies and you'll be good.​
  • Meta Descriptions
Wordpress' policy is "screw meta descriptions." They didn't build in the ability, they didn't set up custom fields, etc. The goal with BuSo Lightning is to be as light and streamlined as possible, and that excludes complicating things with meta descriptions. If you want to manage them, there are plenty of plugin options available, or you can let Google do what they are going to do for the most part anyways and re-write them.​
  • And The Best Part:
This is what justifies a version 2.0 tag. I completely reworked the responsivity of the theme. Previously it was some strange mixture of Adaptive and Responsive, and it was and remains fine due to the sizes of mobile devices out there. But since there's no standard in viewport sizes with all the iPads, iPhones, Androids, Kindle Fires & Oasis, etc... I wanted to go 100% responsive and did.​
The main thing you'll notice is that the media query break to mobile now occurs much "sooner" around 1000px instead of 750px. Don't worry. Most tablets are beyond that in Landscape and the larger tablets are larger than that in Portrait mode. All this means is that you should be monetizing in-content instead of too heavily in the sidebar (which you should be doing anyways).​
The most beneficial change is that the sidebar is now a static 300px width (with 40px of horizontal padding total). It will never become any smaller than that. Previously it would change width which sucked for display ads. The standard IAB sidebar ad width is 300px, so now you can fit squares, rectangles, and even those monster 300x600 blocks (great CPC on those!).​
  • And Oh Yeah, Full Width page template!
A few people asked for a full width page template with no sidebar. It's now available so you can create landers or a customized homepage.​

That's likely it, my friends. This theme is the lightest and fastest Wordpress theme available, despite what others claim, and it's fully functional. There's nothing missing. A complete newb can use it and make cash and a pro can get in there and use it as a fast foundation to their own custom theme. And best of all, it's STILL FREE AND WILL REMAIN FREE.

Unless you guys find any secret surprises that snuck past me, there won't be another update. She's hit her final form. Wordpress won't break it because there's nothing complex going on. If a core update does require me to go in and make some fixes, I will for sure. Don't forget about our Official Support Thread if you need help.

But in the meantime, I'm saying goodbye to BuSo Lightning, because somebody has to be the one to code BuSo Wildfire...

If you're making money with Lightning, say thanks by picking up a BuSo Pro account upgrade!

Degree
Will check this out latter.

But in the meantime, I'm saying goodbye to BuSo Lightning, because somebody has to be the one to code BuSo Wildfire...

What's BuSo Wildfire?

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree

JT1

Boss ∞
BuSo Pro
Degree
Theme super fresh and all , but don't forget to remove the "theme by builder society" in the footer,Super easy for someone to drop it on Google and grab all our niches

Degree
Theme super fresh and all , but don't forget to remove the "theme by builder society" in the footer,Super easy for someone to drop it on Google and grab all our niches
Lol, I checked this a few weeks back already. Looks like somebody is big into lead gen for rehab centers :smile:

coopreme

try hard
Degree
Starting on new project soon, figured I'd build part of it on BuSo. Did some more tweaking and so far so good.

I thought I was doing good:

Then I made one more change and was doing great:

Lightning is literally unbeatable on speed if you must have WP. Can't wait for BuSo WildFire

*edit: this is on shared. time to move up these changes to a vps.

Michael

BuSo Pro
Degree
Starting on new project soon, figured I'd build part of it on BuSo. Did some more tweaking and so far so good.

I thought I was doing good:

Then I made one more change and was doing great:

Lightning is literally unbeatable on speed if you must have WP. Can't wait for BuSo WildFire

*edit: this is on shared. time to move up these changes to a vps.
Post a screenshot back here when you've changed over please. I want to actually see how much further down you get cant the already blazing fast 113ms lol.

Degree
As someone with no developer experience whatsoever (basic html and css, no php, etc.), is BuSo Lightning still a good theme to choose?

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
As someone with no developer experience whatsoever (basic html and css, no php, etc.), is BuSo Lightning still a good theme to choose?
If you like the way it functions, then sure. If you want to change colors and some minor things, sure. If you have something more substantial in mind and want a fast base theme to expand upon... sure (unless you're not a developer, in which case you should find something with ready-made options to choose from).

This is all about speed and a minimal design. All extras are up to you to provide. If you're capable, have at it. If you're going to install a million plugins to get it where you want it, you might as well not bother. You'll be better off choosing a more bloated theme that's closer to your vision.

Andrey

BuSo Pro
Degree
Oh wow sweet! Ryuzaki, you just keep on giving. I gotta give this a test drive.

Seems like Bruce Lee type of ascetic theme, just how I prefer it.

Last edited:

turbin3

BuSo Pro
Degree
Just wanted to mention, tested Lightning the other day with WPEngine's PHP7 compatibility checker plugin. Lightning tests out 100% compatible with PHP7, so there's that option if you want to squeeze even more speed out of your site: PHP 7 performance overview

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Good catch, Wordpress has changed since I added that template and now allows custom templates for posts. I'll add this to the download file and re-upload.

UPDATE
From the packaged readme.txt file:

= 2.1 =
  • Google font header link now relative to avoid HTTPS mixed content errors.
  • Full width page template now works for posts and products as well.
  • Removed local jQuery, allowing Wordpress to enqueue it and jQuery Migrate.

Thanks to @DD1 and @DarkRed for finding and providing the solution to allow the full width template to be used for posts, and to @Apex for noticing the hardcoded http:// for Google fonts.

Note: I added a section to the readme.txt that says:

The minified CSS and JS files are currently called within the header and footer, respectively. The assumption is that developers will want to expand upon these files, thus I've chosen not to enqueue them within the functions.php. When your site reaches a finalized stage of design and functionality, you may choose to enqueue them there although you won't experience any conflicts if you don't.​
It's a confusing process that's better left undone, since there's only 1 CSS and 1 JS file. But the style.min.css is a combination of 3 CSS files. With all of that taken into account, it's far more self-explanatory to not have them enqueued. Developers will know what to do and non-devs will have a much easier time working with the CSS this way. If you need help, just visit the Official Support Thread!

Thanks for all the downloads. I hope you guys are making some money with it. I've got some bigger and better things on the horizon, be on the lookout!