Building Links to redirect

Degree
I was analysing a site and I found that he was building a lot of grey hat type links (Niche edits, guests post, PBNs etc) but he was building all the links redirects. Not like using expired domain for redirects, but to various TLDs of this site, like brand.info, brand.org etc and all redirected.

Is there any benefit to this?

I know this isn't white hat, just wanted to know if this was somehow better. Was it to stop the redirect in case of a penalty due to some of the links??

Was it to stop the redirect in case of a penalty due to some of the links??

Yes, that's the benefit. You can get a temporary boost with "bad" links and if it does end up going bad, you can yank the redirect and recover your domain "quickly." I don't know that Google's manual reviewers are going to accept this as being reformed and willing to do the right thing, but under an algorithmic penalty this will solve it. But you'll still have to wait months (six months probably) to recover.

It also stops the less savvy competitors from noticing these links and reporting you. It's a risk reducer.

Yes, that's the benefit. You can get a temporary boost with "bad" links and if it does end up going bad, you can yank the redirect and recover your domain "quickly." I don't know that Google's manual reviewers are going to accept this as being reformed and willing to do the right thing, but under an algorithmic penalty this will solve it. But you'll still have to wait months (six months probably) to recover.

It also stops the less savvy competitors from noticing these links and reporting you. It's a risk reducer.
WHat is the harm of it if I continue to build good links to a redirect? Just to get away from prying eyes?

WHat is the harm of it if I continue to build good links to a redirect? Just to get away from prying eyes?

You can send enough signals that tells Google that the redirected URL is the preferred one to list and show in the SERPs. The Google spokespeople have said flat out that they don't dampen page rank through redirects any more, so I don't see any harm other than potentially confusing Google if you over do it.

Back