Building a site in a "alternative" niche

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
Maybe this is a step above the noob section, but lets find out.

As I laid out in my intro thread, I don't have any sites anymore really, and when I go back in, this time I want it to be in a niche were I can give it full motivation instead of running sites I don't give a cr*p about the topics.

I was thinking of starting a site in the "alternative" niche, it would probably be along the line of hidden history, except it would be more truthfull (history is better than fiction), but think along the lines of that, but it could also be Alex Jones like Infowars or those Alternative Health sites. Some controversial content might be there but overall just more of a "sexy" history site.

What would be the challenges of such a model? The pros are quite obvious to me, the ability to generate a ton of content, passion etc.

Would it even be allowed for Adsense? Would other monetization methods be difficult (I think so).

Anyone have experience with something like this?

Word in the heezy. Yes, passion is definitely there and you'll have tons of content options. So display ads are easy. However, good chance you won't get high CPC's. So you'll likely want a mixture of CPM and CPC ads, or go all CPM.

If you get big enough though, you could work out direct advertising deals so that will increase revenue.

Can also paginate your content to get more views.

Challenges are possible lack of affiliate offers (depends on exact type of "alternative" niche though). If it's about history, I don't know how many related affiliate offers you'll find. Another challenge, is being branded as fake news. If you place to promote on Facebook (which would be a good place to go since you'll be able to create a passionate fanbase easily) you'll want to stay away from getting slapped with that. Think Google is, or is planning to, devalue "fake news" in the serps as well.

Due to the low display ad money (unless you get tons of CPM traffic or direct deals, and lack of affiliate products) you're going to have to find a way to hit your audience several times. Good way of doing that is building a large social presence (Facebook is my recommendation), try to mix in at least some basic keyword research if possible (maybe not all articles but at least some) so you can eventually get some organic, and capture emails. Set up an autoresponder and email your subs weekly at minimum (possibly even every day will work). Lastly, tracks your subs actions and for those that open your articles that have any relevance to an affiliate offer, set up a sequence for it, send em through, then have them go back into your main sequence.

You could probably mix in some related Reddits too. Some controversial history seems like the type of stuff they would love to argue about.

Do all those things combined and you'll be able to make up for the low display CPC's.

Word in the heezy. Yes, passion is definitely there and you'll have tons of content options. So display ads are easy. However, good chance you won't get high CPC's. So you'll likely want a mixture of CPM and CPC ads, or go all CPM.

If you get big enough though, you could work out direct advertising deals so that will increase revenue.

Can also paginate your content to get more views.

Challenges are possible lack of affiliate offers (depends on exact type of "alternative" niche though). If it's about history, I don't know how many related affiliate offers you'll find. Another challenge, is being branded as fake news. If you place to promote on Facebook (which would be a good place to go since you'll be able to create a passionate fanbase easily) you'll want to stay away from getting slapped with that. Think Google is, or is planning to, devalue "fake news" in the serps as well.

Due to the low display ad money (unless you get tons of CPM traffic or direct deals, and lack of affiliate products) you're going to have to find a way to hit your audience several times. Good way of doing that is building a large social presence (Facebook is my recommendation), try to mix in at least some basic keyword research if possible (maybe not all articles but at least some) so you can eventually get some organic, and capture emails. Set up an autoresponder and email your subs weekly at minimum (possibly even every day will work). Lastly, tracks your subs actions and for those that open your articles that have any relevance to an affiliate offer, set up a sequence for it, send em through, then have them go back into your main sequence.

You could probably mix in some related Reddits too. Some controversial history seems like the type of stuff they would love to argue about.

Do all those things combined and you'll be able to make up for the low display CPC's.

Thanks.

I think there are always some affiliate opportunities but you need to think broadly in demographics instead of niche. I would also think there could be some opportunities to target some commercial keywords through optimized landing pages to take advantage of the easier linkbait when you have a site like this.

Anyone else have something to say?

You could interview real interesting people, embed as podcasts or videos, say like Red Ice do, and offer content upgrades or enhanced membership options. Conversions aren't as high as some other niches but there is good money there and it's cool that you'd be serving yourself well as well as serving the world.

This is all ANY news site does, alternative or not. You optimize with CPMs, eventually work out direct deals, manage your waterfall with the higher value direct deals on top and then header bidding behind those on the CPM ads. Toss in some CPC or Native Ads in the right spots and you're off to chasing traffic.

It's a proven model. We have members here on BuSo turning over millions a year following this viral model. Alex Jones now has White House press credentials. It works if you work it.

This is all ANY news site does, alternative or not. You optimize with CPMs, eventually work out direct deals, manage your waterfall with the higher value direct deals on top and then header bidding behind those on the CPM ads. Toss in some CPC or Native Ads in the right spots and you're off to chasing traffic.

It's a proven model. We have members here on BuSo turning over millions a year following this viral model. Alex Jones now has White House press credentials. It works if you work it.

These members you speak of...are they running full news sites that utilize multiple writers and need a big staff?

Also, do you know if they also have YouTube channels or are they just producing this revenue strictly with a general news site and written content?

As other members have mentioned, the monetization could be pretty challenging.

In terms of affiliate offers.. there might be some suitable for whatever niche you choose, or there might not. Have you ever tried reaching out to product owners to get set up as an affiliate (when they don't already have a program in place?).

It's a nightmare.

They don't have a program, no way to track clicks or anything like that. No easy way for you to create links to send people too, they don't know how to pay you or when to pay you. They're landing pages or product pages are often not at all optimized for conversions...

It can work out, but it's often challenging and sometimes not worth it.

You also need to be aware of organic traffic potential. Make sure you actually do niche and keyword research before jumping into something.. if there's little to no keyword search volume then you might need to accept that the site will be mostly a hobby.

What I do before starting a new site is tons of research: keyword/niche research, and also monetization research.. make lists of keywords and lists of monetization options.

Do that for several niches, narrow it down, and then pick one to go for.

The only difference for you in doing this process is you'll also need to factor in your level of passion for/interest in these different topics/niches.

I think research before starting is extra important for you, as a site like this will be extra difficult to make a "success" (assuming your definition of that is to make money).

Good luck!

What about checking (I mean studying/analyzing/dissecting) how some of the big names are doing it:
Alex Jones
David Icke
Check their web site and youtube channels for examples, it will show you exactly the monetization methods they are using and what type of contents they use to keep their followers hooked and asking for more.

Oh my .. alternative niches.

I know one in my homecountry, but the manufacturer does NOT allow affiliates. Argh

Back