Blog Comments to Help Improve Link Juice

larcha

Passive Priority
Degree
Does it make sense to build some blog comment backlinks (with generic and branded anchors) to spread some link juice around my site? Does Do-Follow vs. No-Follow matter here?

I remember these links were gold for me back in the day and I understand its way different now. My site has ~900 posts and I'm just trying to find a cost-effective way to improve crawl rate and link juice besides just internal linking. I'm sure this can improve authority by increasing my referring domains overall.

Case Study - I'm going to build 10 blog comments for two different posts (5 each) that have been a little weaker compared to the other articles that I published within a topic cluster (all are already interlinked).

Thanks,
Charlie

Blog comments can definitely create more crawling paths to your site, especially now that Google is treating nofollow as a suggestion.

The comment game isn't what it used to be. Trying to drop links to individual posts is going to be difficult in the comment text, and if using an inner page link as the URL that your "Name" links from, it might make the site owner think you're spam. Linking to the homepage is the natural way to do it and will increase your success rate.

This also serves to build up a lot of branded anchors and drops your brand around the net on what are probably relevant pages.

Yes, dofollow / nofollow matters. Nofollow links don't pass page rank as far as we know. While there might be exceptions from certain sites, undoubtedly 99.9% of sites are not going to be an exception. Google spiders might choose to crawl through the links, but they're not going to pass page rank.

Finding dofollow comments is getting way harder. There's footprints for things like CommentLuv that lets comments go dofollow, but those are targeted for spam even worse than normal ones. Blog comment spam is nearly as pervasive as email spam is these days. Just gobs of it all day every day.

If you really want to build some blog comments, it's better to find real sites that are frequently updated by people like mommy bloggers. You can find little networks of friends that all comment on each other's posts, which means it's all being monitored, and sneak in there if you provide real value. It can eat up your time though because even with great comments there's no guarantee they'll be approved. Look for sites and posts with current comment approval with plenty of them there.

It's worth your time to do some comments. It's not worth your time to try to rack up hundreds of referring domains this way any more.

Yes and no. Yes more backlinks will help you get crawled more but not how you're planning. GoogleBot is not dropped at random around the Net. It only crawls for ~7 links before it's dropped again. The drops are based upon PageRank. Pages with higher PR get more frequent drops than low PR pages. Therefore, if you get hyperlinks on 100 PR1 pages with each have ~8 or so outbound links, that's the same thing as getting one hyperlink on a PR2 page with ~8 or so outbound links. GoogleBot will spider your site at the same rate in either case. Therefore, go for high PR blog comments or just send emails to webmasters for hyperlinks like usual :smile: The latter would be the best IMO since it'll be an in-text hyperlink versus a comment.

Back