Best Wordpress Backup Solution

eliquid

Digital Strategist
Degree
Looking for a good solution, wanted to get your input.

So basically I have like 2 Wordpress sites ( not mine) that I update for the HOA I live in.

I spend like 5 minutes a month on them, and in exchange I don't pay HOA dues.

But I'm getting worried that one day these sites will get hacked or exploited. It's not if, but when that I have learned over time.

So what's the best plugin or solution for this?

I don't want to log into MySQL and do manual downloads, or into FTP and bring down files if I can. Best case would be I install a plugin, backup this stuff to my desktop, and if there is a hack I can upload back up and be back in business in like 5-10 minutes top.

Anything fit that bill?

Like to keep this in my 5-10 minutes a month routine, even if I need to upload back to normal after a hack.

Getting them away from Wordpress is NOT an option.

Thanks ahead of time for any info you can provide.

The free Updraft Plus is what I use. You can schedule backups at any intervals you want and retain as many rolling numbers as you want. I shoot them off to Dropbox this way, daily, and keep 7 backups, plus a few older versions just in case. I get the MySQL databases, theme files, images, and everything else this way. You can hit Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon S3, or Rackspace on the free versions.

I don't use the premium and don't think you'll need it, but you can learn more on the official Updraft Plus site. It gives you extra external storage places, like One Drive, Azure, and WebDAV.

In the past I used Backup Buddy but ended up always encountering errors.

110% UPDRAFT PLUS.

I have the paid plan and auto backup to Amazon S3. You can set the backup schedule and what to backup. It's amazing. You get emails if there is an error otherwise it's set and forget.

What I do is run automysqlbackup (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man8/automysqlbackup.8.html) and that takes care of any MySQL/MariaDB database on the server I want to backup and also takes care of backup rotation. For the files themselves, that can be accomplished with a basic tar.gz backup using something like:
tar -cpzf backup-name.tar.gz /path/to/wp/site/files/ This can be scripted to run via cron. For extra credit on the mission critical sites, I also use rsync to sync the file and DB backups to another server. I'm not really a fan of using a WP plugin because that's just another thing that can be compromised and it's a bit more difficult to compromise a server to the point where one can get access to the backup scripts and files.

Back