Best Strength to Cultivate?

Bee

Degree
I am not sure what I am good at.

Reading day one of the crash course again... and I seem to be able to touch on all of the topics, but I don't have a stand out STRENGTH.

I'm a competent writer, but the process feels like pulling teeth. I've certainly got a handle on aesthetics and design, but only basic technical program experience. I am not yet a programmer, but I am fascinated by the concept. I have a history in Marketing and Sales and really enjoy the psychology of that aspect.... but I wouldn't call myself an expert just yet.

What should I focus on leveling up first, and what are your favorite sources for learning?

Do what interests you the most not what your necessarily the best at!

If programming interests you then learn and enjoy. Its taken me 3 attemepts to learn javascript. once with the codeacademy free course, once with the premium code academy and it finally clicked with the club treehouse course. its a membership site but what i did was i signed up for the free week trail with paypal then immediately canceled the future payment so It didn't rebill me if i didn't like it. Turns out I was finally 'getting it' which i wasn't with code academy so reactivated the payment but at the end of the day its all personal choice.

here is the link: https://teamtreehouse.com/

Reactions: Bee
grinding it out is the strength you need.

Returning every day and chipping away at the site, writing, promoting, leaking for links, while it might take weeks to see returns.

I wouldn't focus on one thing. As an solo-preneur you will need some skills in every category, but the best and most efficient way of learning them is to wait until you encounter them in your projects. This way, you're only learning exactly what's applicable (and will be generalizable) AND you have context around it, which will make sure your brain is wiring those neural pathways.

It's just like every student on the planet ends up saying "I don't use a single thing they taught me in school." Theoretics is fun, but pragmatism is what creates progress. Being in the trenches is the best way to learn.

Here is one thing I can hear you can cultivate.

The student mindest

Building a business is hard. You will not know a lot of things. It can be difficult thinking you have no clear strengths and a ton of weakness. That's ok. Be ok with it. That will change over time and through experience.

You will want to get good at a specific thing, but business and online marketing is a culmination of a lot of skills that work together to get a specific result.

If you don't like writing then that's ok, master the basics, and use it as a tool to understand your niche, then if you can afford it, think about outsourcing it. What's funny, is you will then need to learn skills on outsourcing and managing people :wink:

And that's the beauty of it...no matter where you are in your online business journey, you will always be challenged by something and learning something new.

Here is one thing I can hear you can cultivate.

The student mindest

Building a business is hard. You will not know a lot of things. It can be difficult thinking you have no clear strengths and a ton of weakness. That's ok. Be ok with it. That will change over time and through experience.

You will want to get good at a specific thing, but business and online marketing is a culmination of a lot of skills that work together to get a specific result.

If you don't like writing then that's ok, master the basics, and use it as a tool to understand your niche, then if you can afford it, think about outsourcing it. What's funny, is you will then need to learn skills on outsourcing and managing people :wink:

And that's the beauty of it...no matter where you are in your online business journey, you will always be challenged by something and learning something new.

This is the perfect response from you, @Concept , because you've already knowledge-bombed me so many times, and I can't even find the words for a reply that can convey how much I am listening and appreciating you.

(...and all of the rest of you too, honestly.)

No words needed. Just don't give up and eventually win.

I'm in the trenches too. I know how hard it can be. If I see someone who I can help, I'll help.

@Bee What type of site are you looking to do? I saw some of your other threads but don't know if you finalized anything yet.

@Bee What type of site are you looking to do? I saw some of your other threads but don't know if you finalized anything yet.

Hey there, I've got an amazon affiliate for a few types of small home appliances in the works

The biggest key for succeeding in this game IMO is self awareness around what you're willing to do for the long term. I think it has less to do with specific skills and more about the path you're on.

You're going to have to wake up day after day and put in work in order to develop skills, identify your strengths and outsource your weaknesses. Without a project that you're committed to put the YEARS of work into, you'll never have the chance to figure it out. To me this means you need to be doing something you're passionate/believe in.

For example, are you making an affiliate site around kitchen stuff in order to make money? Or are you making a resource that you truly think is truly valuable to the end user and you have passion behind the message?

The difference between those two for me is fizzling out in 2 months because my heart isn't in it or working for 3 years and looking at my project with pride because I belive in it and have put my heart and soul in it.

That multiple year growth is where you can learn those skills out of necessity.

Some seem to be able to sit down and smash out sites they don't care about. I hope someday I can do that too because there is good money in it, but I know I'll have to be outsourcing lots of the work or I'll go crazy.

Just my two cents, YMMV on this advice.

I wouldn't focus on one thing. As an solo-preneur you will need some skills in every category, but the best and most efficient way of learning them is to wait until you encounter them in your projects. This way, you're only learning exactly what's applicable (and will be generalizable) AND you have context around it, which will make sure your brain is wiring those neural pathways.

It's just like every student on the planet ends up saying "I don't use a single thing they taught me in school." Theoretics is fun, but pragmatism is what creates progress. Being in the trenches is the best way to learn.

Pure GOLD right there. A lot of profound wisdom anyone can take away from these few sentences.

These were all great high-level, principle recommendations.

If you need something more in the "tactic" level, I'd recommend the test StrengthsFinder along with its accompanying book by Tom Rath (you can find it on Amazon): http://www.strengthstest.com/

Strength:

Focus/Determination.

That means being able to work 16 hours a day, every day for at least 5 years straight.

99.99% of the population is unable to do that.

If you don't see success doing that, then I don't even know what to tell you...

All of the bullshit will get answered along the way. You won't have time for planners/calenders, mediation, zen, etc. You will just fucking do it! Period.

You can't tell me that in 29,200 hours you can't find the answer, or you don't have enough time to become an expert...

Imagine fighting off temptations, instant gratification, etc for 5 years... Most of these cunts today can't even go 5 min before facefucking or tweetfucking or watching Netflix!

The trenches will test your strengths. Your strengths at this moment mean jack shit if you're not putting them to use.

I am not sure what I am good at.

Reading day one of the crash course again... and I seem to be able to touch on all of the topics, but I don't have a stand out STRENGTH.

I'm a competent writer, but the process feels like pulling teeth. I've certainly got a handle on aesthetics and design, but only basic technical program experience. I am not yet a programmer, but I am fascinated by the concept. I have a history in Marketing and Sales and really enjoy the psychology of that aspect.... but I wouldn't call myself an expert just yet.

What should I focus on leveling up first, and what are your favorite sources for learning?
Curious to see where you are with this.
If you naturally enjoy the psychology of marketing and sales then start with that. The biggest thing is to just start working on it, step back, analyze, replan and refocus and create a new strategy.

Back