Best place for branded links?

Degree
Where is the best place to get branded links?

Blog commenting, forum signatures, etc?

I would think editorial, blog commenting and forum all lend themselves towards branded links. Blog commenting can also be your name, as well. Realistically, you could have a branded link from virtually anywhere. Thinking the other way around, you would need to be more selective with long tail or kw anchors than branded.

Some more ideas . If I am building a brand site and need some links with brand anchors this is what I usually do :
  • High DA Branding Profiles - Can't stress on how important this is . From Twitter to Forbes to amazon ,whatever quality site I can get my hands on . Hire a VA , and get yourself those profile links.
  • PR - PRbuzz,PRgenie and the rest of the sites . Fantastic for branding links .And also these get picked up by tonnes of other PR sites .
  • Industry niche forums . I would stay out of something which has nothing to do with the niche

Isn't the ratio for anchor text 50% should be branded anchors. That's quite a bit

Isn't the ratio for anchor text 50% should be branded anchors. That's quite a bit

There's no "should" here really. Sure, that might be someone's opinion but it's definitely not a universal rule. Personally I prefer to have URL anchors on the majority of my backlinks, and the rest split between longtails and the brand name (if any). Checking what the big guys in your niche are doing is worth it too.

As for the places to get links - most targets on knowem.com will give a good starting point, then there are niche directories and authority players, so ultimately the "brandness" of you backlink profile boils down to relevance.

Okay. Change your mode of thinking here a bit.

Ask yourself what does a natural link profile look like.

If you're using blog comments use your own name or some random name or a naked url to water down anchor text ratios.

Forums, again naked urls.

Lets take that a step further. On the root domain you would expect to see mainly naked urls, branded anchors and benign anchors from social profiles, citations, high end directories, press releases with a few contextuals thrown into the mix from the odd guest post.

Deep pages/posts will then attract compound & long tail anchors relevent to the name of the page they are linking to. These will be diverse and chaotic again with naked urls and benign kws thrown into the mix.

If the sites are topically/thematically relevent and the links pointing at those sites are topically relevent you will see a ranking improvement especially if your link profile makes use of co-citations and looks like a graph database if you were to try and map it out on paper.

If you're building links from irrelevant sources opt for branded urls to play it safe.

Closing point. SEO is a game of match and exceed. Look at your competitors. Study their link profiles, anchors, ratios, metrics, onsite. Figure out where their juice comes from and then single mindedly set out to piss in their cheerios.

Last edited:
Here's one that no one really seems to be doing, but works wonders for those who are doing it. You're going to need something of value on your site, so thin sites need-not apply. Value = super detailed guides, tools / calculators with a very specific function, a current/updated directory, video/podcast content, etc.

Go on oDesk and pay someone $20 to find 250 service professionals in your niche. Make sure to get all their pertinent info - name, address, company, phone, e-mail, website, social media profiles. Spend a week or two interacting with their social profiles. Don't contact them directly...just share their content, like it, retweet it...whatever. Just get noticed.

After you've done that for awhile, contact them with a very personal e-mail letting them know that you really enjoy the information they share on their website (cite a specific article, tool, or section) and on their social media pages. At the end of the e-mail, show them your high value resource on your site and invite them to link to it or share it on their social media. Make sure to provide them a with a formatted hyperlink so they can just copy/paste. Wait for the branded links to roll in.

Examples:
  • Your dog training site can reach out to dog trainers and dog groomers
  • Your health/fitness site can reach out to personal trainers and nutritionists
  • Your finance site can reach out to financial advisors, accountants, and brokers
Just get creative with it. Brainstorming which service professionals in your niche would be perfect for this strategy will help you come up with ideas for high value content.

One of my competitors on a new site I'm starting literally hasn't updated his site design since 1999, but his content is the most detailed in the niche. The site sits at #2 for a 75k search term and is ranked in the top 3 for at least 15 terms that have 10k+ search volume each. Nearly all of his links are from individual service professional sites that know the information he provided is perfect for their client base.

If you have something of value and put it in front of people that need that information/resource, you won't have much of a hard time getting branded links from highly relevant sites.

A bit off topic. I build PBN's with a difference.

Lets say I'm in the fashion niche. I find and stalk (lol) a smoking hot fashion student (students work for peanuts) online and bring her on as a writer.

I setup a blog wuth a dropped domain social profiles and follow CCarters bigbrand outline.

I plug the social profiles into assorted bots and grow them. I hit the site with and social proof buying high end niche relevent links connecting everything to G+ and Klout (epeen score).

What I end up with is a real site with a young attractive person behind it. Now I follow Stackcash's outline and use and offer influencers in my niche guest post opportunities on the site.

Suddenly I have an asset, a social following and something I can use for my own nefarious purposes.

I'd say that with blog comments I'd future-proof it by ONLY using names, and i'd largely use the same name, maybe two or three max. No branded stuff here.

If you shoot out press releases, I'd include no-follow tags in them if you can send out HTML markup. Also, i'd ONLY use raw urls or branded anchors.

And in terms of running around setting up profiles around the web, I think this is fine, IF AND ONLY IF you actually use those accounts and interact and are invovled. Otherwise it's spam and I'm 99% positive Google can figure out the difference with penguin.

Back