Best Lavalier Microphone For YouTube Videos

seoauthority

BuSo Pro
Degree
I'm going to be shooting some YouTube videos out doors using a lavalier/lapel microphone. Anyone have any recommendations?

I've looked at a few options online. Rode Smart Lav seems an automatic favorite but a lot of reviewers think its overpriced. Not against spending $100 for a smartphone lav Mic, but i've heard Power DeWise lav mic at $25 does the job just as well as any.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
I wouldn't expect a $25 dollar microphone to do anything of quality for you, because you're not just paying for the microphone but also the preamplifier and analog-to-digital converters, in the case of a portable mic.

I used to do a lot of recording and would spend upwards to $1000 per preamp channel, $1500 for an interface with nice converters, and no less than $500 per mic. That's entry level studio quality. But the real quality will come out of the post-processing and mixing. A really good mixer can save a crappy recording, but a bad mixer won't be able to do anything with a bad recording.

If it's any help, I love Rode products. The Rode NTK is one of my favorite mics, and the NT1-A is a great cheaper alternative. I've tried a lot of mics. Rode does a great job for "vocal range" mics.

contract

We're all gunna mine it brah.
Degree
I second Rode, well worth shelling out some more dollars. Quality products. I have their My VideoMioc Go microphone that sits on top of a camera, but I would buy their Lav mic in a second if I needed one.

Plus with Rode you can always sell it later on if you want to and it will still have some value/buyers out there. With cheap mics, their trash after purchase lol.

I think Rode gets a lot of negative reviews simply because there are a lot of counterfeit Rode products on the market. Buy from a local camera shop, and you'll be happy. Even though the discounts are really tempting..

seoauthority

BuSo Pro
Degree
I'm talking about a lavalier mic. It has specific purposes for outdoors recording. I have a studio setup already and i have owned several rode mics.

To be hoenst, I though Rode's smartphone lavalier microphone was overpriced and it fell apart from ater a couple of months of use (their DSLR shotgun mic, though, still still a stalwart.

I have a Zoom H4 recorder I could easily use to connect the mic, but i need a lav for outdoors interviewing purposes (and no, no one suggest me a boom mic, i don't have an operator, i'm recording everything on my own).

For now I bought the PowerDewise smartphone lav - i'll see how this goes.