Aww yee

Hey guys, I'm happy I found this place and am excited to join the discussion. I'm in a few online marketing FB groups but the quality really does not compare.

To give more background on myself, I have a lot of experience in digital marketing in the corporate world but am still a newbie to this authority website model. I've been working on my site for two years intermittently with intermittent growth.

When I got sick of my dayjob at the end of last year, I decided to quit and give this online business thing a serious shot. I have about a year's left worth of savings to figure this thing out, so I'll be going full steam ahead until I can't anymore.

Right now, I'm barely scratching four figures monthly thru affiliate revenue. I've dedicated the last few months to content and have finally found a good writer and got a process down for publishing consistently. My efforts lately have turned towards link building which I think is the missing piece (?) that can help me reach my timeline. But I'm not sure.

Hoping to make some revelations here with you all and contribute where I can.

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
Welcome aboard, @Thao. Glad to have you. We work hard to maintain the highest signal-to-noise ratio possible.

I've been working on my site for two years intermittently with intermittent growth.
I'm sure you see the connection. Intermittent work = intermittent growth when it comes to SEO. I've posted about it a lot, about keeping the conveyer belt churning even when we aren't getting results, because the results are so delayed. If we become forlorn and stop for a while, we'll have a period of no growth later.

I experience this a lot when new projects come along or production stops in order to make production more efficient, etc. It happens for sure, even if we know not to let it happen. Sounds like you have something solid on your hands though. Two years of age will be a big boon to you now that you're back to the grind.

My efforts lately have turned towards link building which I think is the missing piece (?) that can help me reach my timeline. But I'm not sure.
Could be the missing piece if you don't already have a baseline backlink profile. Too many people ignore links these days on the bad advice of some well-meaning gurus outh there and some that aren't being so honest about it.

There's times where you can publish tons of content and have steady growth and think everything is fine because of that growth, without realizing the growth could be 10-fold with some links. There's also times where you have a boatload of links and can stop doing that and just publish your heart out and see major gains. Figuring out if you're in one of those scenarios could quickly ramp up your revenue.

But the real thing is to figure out what level of competition you can dominate and use keywords at that level only until you level up. No point in beating your head against a brick wall now when you could use a pick axe later, or a bull dozer even.

Appreciate the warm welcome @Ryuzaki.

Could be the missing piece if you don't already have a baseline backlink profile. Too many people ignore links these days on the bad advice of some well-meaning gurus outh there and some that aren't being so honest about it.

There's times where you can publish tons of content and have steady growth and think everything is fine because of that growth, without realizing the growth could be 10-fold with some links. There's also times where you have a boatload of links and can stop doing that and just publish your heart out and see major gains. Figuring out if you're in one of those scenarios could quickly ramp up your revenue.

Early on, I attempted link building but found it to be a black hole of time consumption. I figured I was better off focusing on producing content instead. So I wasn't necessarily following the bad advice of those gurus but I was sure hoping they were right.

What would you consider a baseline link profile? I have maybe a handful of links that accumulated naturally to an info article but that's about it. The rest is random web crawler and image scraper junk that I assume everyone gets.

I'm hoping now that I have freed up time for myself to figure this link building thing out, I can get some of that 10-fold growth :D

Ryuzaki

お前はもう死んでいる
@Thao, regarding a decent baseline backlink profile, I would recommend reading the Off-Page SEO day of the BuSo Crash Course here. I give out a lot of different ways to score some links, some more involved than others, some nofollow, some dofollow, etc.

The challenge these days is getting some of this stuff crawled and counted, but I like to create these mainly to increase the number of referring domains pointing in and to get me into the trenches and seeing sites and forums in my niche and becoming more familiar with the whole ecosystem. This is for passion projects I'll have my hands in and for new domains I registered myself. Otherwise I may not go through the trouble.

These links don't pack much of a punch at the start but over time they age and kind of act as an antibody system to keep you safe from algorithmic issues, because most of these sites will have decent trust and authority. They can also help send branding signals, which adds a much needed layer of trust to your project.

But the real needle movers are anything contextual with a link in the actual article. The effectiveness of these does vary based on your existing link profile though. The more the merrier as long as it's not spam.