Avoiding Typical Wordpress Theme

Degree
Hello everyone! Newbie to the site, and I have a few questions.

I've been running a blog on general entrepreneurship and startup advice, but I'm having the hardest time finding a theme that works. I'm trying to find a free theme (or at most like $20) which is relatively customizable, clean, not spammy, and definitely not generic.

I run an email list, and I have been moving into networking/personal branding more so over the past few weeks. A theme which is a best fit for that type of work is a plus.

So do you builders have any resources in mind?

Here's what the site currently looks like. I want more color in the newer one, specifically a deep blue or a similar color that works.

Thanks!
-ZJB

You're seeking champagne on a beer budget.

If your current content isn't earning you enough money on your free theme to at least afford a premium theme, then your focus should be on better converting content and not what colors you're using. There is nothing on your blog right now that tells me the design is hindering you from making money.

Google is a fantastic resource. So is ThemeForest.

If I wrongly assumed that your site is not yet making money, then I apologize. In that case, as a entrepreneur/startup expert, you would know that you would have to reinvest money into your business to help it grow.

You're seeking champagne on a beer budget.

If your current content isn't earning you enough money on your free theme to at least afford a premium theme, then your focus should be on better converting content and not what colors you're using. There is nothing on your blog right now that tells me the design is hindering you from making money.

Google is a fantastic resource. So is ThemeForest.

If I wrongly assumed that your site is not yet making money, then I apologize. In that case, as a entrepreneur/startup expert, you would know that you would have to reinvest money into your business to help it grow.

Sorry if I came off as a cheapskate! Right now my site is doing just fine, and I could very well afford a fancy theme from Themeforest or another Envato site, but I wanted to check out all my other options and see if I could get some champagne on a beer budget, but by no means did I intend to get Dom Perignon.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any cleaner, more colorful, mobile-friendly themes out there.

I seriously hate the popups lol but for about $40 you could get a really nice theme which you can then tweak, the great thing about wordpress is that it is really easy.

Since your site is based on you, what do you think of a theme like this?

http://themeforest.net/item/premium-layers-wordpress-vcard-resume-theme/full_screen_preview/8205572

There are better ones, i just grabbed the first one to show you an example

http://themeforest.net/search?utf8=..._min=&price_max=&sales=&rating_min=&platform=

Last edited:
Thanks for those two links! I'm looking through Themeforest as I write this...Looks like I'm gonna have to succumb to a paid theme. The design world has changed so much that free resources just don't cut it anymore.

Whatever theme you pick doesn't even load.

Anyways, make your theme relevant to your audience. If its professional business owners, keep it business: clean, simple, down to the point. If its wanapreneuers, keep it like other sites they visit like YouTube, Facebook, blogs, etc. If its programmers, keep it like TC, engadget, stackexchagne, etc. Get the idea?

Whatever theme you pick doesn't even load.

Anyways, make your theme relevant to your audience. If its professional business owners, keep it business: clean, simple, down to the point. If its wanapreneuers, keep it like other sites they visit like YouTube, Facebook, blogs, etc. If its programmers, keep it like TC, engadget, stackexchagne, etc. Get the idea?

Great advice! Thanks.. This helped me decide on a theme. I'll post more about it once I've got it under control :smile:

Also bud you have way too many plugins running I counted 9 it makes your site speed super slow. Also if you are not using some of them uninstall them or at least disable them

Also bud you have way too many plugins running I counted 9 it makes your site speed super slow. Also if you are not using some of them uninstall them or at least disable them

I think I'm using a good 5/9 but I'll double check... Thanks for the heads up, on my way to disable them!

Back