Authority content examples

latest

@emp I have no doubt that that is authority content, but just thinking from user experience. Would you really go trough that much text if you were just looking for an Iphone case?

I know that I wouldn't, it is just waaay too much. I would start going trough such amounts of text if I was buying something serious, when the value goes over somewhere 300$. But not for a 30$ case.

The fun thing is that they get to the conclusion VERY early on.

So if I just wanna know "what's best" .. there I go.
The rest adds credibility - even if you skim or don't read it at all.

Also see how they do NOT talk bad about any of the top 3 -5 products.

::emp::

Those two sites rank for lots of best product name keywords and they get sometimes tons of comments with disqus, so they've got quite the cult following.

Another example of authority and cult building:
http://www.theguardian.com/business...black-friday-literally-cards-against-humanity

The fun thing is that they get to the conclusion VERY early on.

So if I just wanna know "what's best" .. there I go.
The rest adds credibility - even if you skim or don't read it at all.

Also see how they do NOT talk bad about any of the top 3 -5 products.

I love these sites. The reviews are great.

I also find it funny how many people think we will create this kind of review for $15.

I love these sites. The reviews are great.

I also find it funny how many people think we will create this kind of review for $15.

Same here, this is the type of content I want to produce. I enjoy making content like that.

But I cant seem to get the same amount of traffic as a clickbait article I copied

latest

@emp I have no doubt that that is authority content, but just thinking from user experience. Would you really go trough that much text if you were just looking for an Iphone case?

I know that I wouldn't, it is just waaay too much. I would start going trough such amounts of text if I was buying something serious, when the value goes over somewhere 300$. But not for a 30$ case.

They don't have to. People will never read anything but they'll skim it and stop at the parts that interest them and read those. There are so so so many affiliate links in those articles, mostly in the first few paragraphs, that it's nearly impossible not to click them.

These domains are so authoritative in the search engines eyes that any article they publish has a really good chance of making to the first page for targeted terms in a couple months. The long tail is probably kicking in within days.

They earned that authority mostly because people linked to their reviews. You might want to make time for that.

They have done multiple AMA's on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3uh9ve/we_are_the_wirecutter_a_group_of_people_with/

Last edited:
But I cant seem to get the same amount of traffic as a clickbait article I copied

Patience! It's about how much money you're making from an article not how much traffic you can get for a day or two.

@Calamari from what I've read, a lot of affiliate links on a page tank it's search rankings. Do you know if that's true, and if so, how many are affiliate links are ok to include?

I've been placing Amazon links in my articles and don't want to screw myself, hah.

I've looked around the net and it seems like there is a lot of hearsay. Some say you shouldn't have more than 3 links, yet some pages have a bunch and still rank high. Haven't found any definite answers.

Patience! It's about how much money you're making from an article not how much traffic you can get for a day or two.

We're going off topic but I disagree.

Exposing your content to lot's of people for just a day or two will earn you links if it's good. Sure earning a few bucks from that is nice but for the most part the type of content that will rake in a lot of traffic for a short period of time won't make you tons of money.

But the links and domain authority you earn will make you money down the road.

Getting back on topic.

These types of reviews will get you some serious flashes of traffic if it gets popular on a site like reddit or facebook. But those people aren't buying. The links come, you get buyer traffic from search engines, and then you make the real money instead of just a few hundos for a day or two of exposure from reddit or facebook.

Keep doing what you're doing @built but make some reviews like these. I need to do the same. My review pages are about 1/10 (if I'm lucky) the quality of what these guys are putting together.

@Calamari from what I've read, a lot of affiliate links on a page tank it's search rankings. Do you know if that's true, and if so, how many are affiliate links are ok to include?

I've been placing Amazon links in my articles and don't want to screw myself, hah.

I've looked around the net and it seems like there is a lot of hearsay. Some say you shouldn't have more than 3 links, yet some pages have a bunch and still rank high. Haven't found any definite answers.

Nobody can agree because the answer is always different. All these "seo experts" think they are right because they can put 10 on their page and be fine while the next guy can put 100 and be fine.

It stands to reason that you can have more affiliate links if your domain has more authority. I know this is true for things like keyword density so it's probably the same for affiliate links. But the number of words on the page and the number of links to other sites likely makes a difference too. So there is no answer.

With that said, I have never had a problem using 3 on a new site.

Back on topic, the sites in the OP can rank with all those links because the domains have so much authority.

You don't disagree with me @Calamari, you just think you do.

Answer this: What's the purpose of getting people to link to an article?

See, we're on the same page.

ffbea4e0d8049c18c045e8b9c005730e.png

I have to make these "mini-updates" a bit more aware. These are simply awesome. Not only will they keep the pages the most up-to-date resources on the subject, but it will help in the search engines greatly as it won't seem stale.

I love their reviews as well. I stumbled across thewirecutter in 2012 after the New York Times did this piece about the owner, Brian Liam. The site was only a year old at the time and it was more of a personal blog with his reviews.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/business/media/buffeted-by-the-web-but-now-riding-it.html?_r=1

The review approach now seems to be highly inspired by ConsumerReports.org -- except with a somewhat DIY take. And instead of the paid sub model they go the affiliate route.

The site was doing $600k in annual revenue and doubling it's revenue every quarter. It had fewer than 350,000 unique visitors a month. This was 3 years ago. You can imagine the numbers it's doing now.

____

Here is another great authority example called AmazingRibs.com, started by one guy.

Revenue is $500k a year and was recently acquired (undisclosed price). Certainly demanded a nice multiple given those numbers and the authority status of the site.

The Bloomberg article below is a nice write-up on how he started and his monetizing methods.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...ing-science-and-sarcasm-to-get-grilling-right

Call it how you see it about this length and depth of content being worth your time or not, but that team is getting coverage on huge sites that's only helping even more. I mean... look at their mastheads:

http://thewirecutter.com/masthead/
http://thesweethome.com/masthead/

It's not like it's one guy pumping out this content. It's a giant team. But you don't become a giant team without putting in the footwork first. And if you do become a team through funding, you may not have the experience to do it right.

These sites are a clear example of "work hard, create quality, promote it, and let the magic happen."

Tricks might get you somewhere if you're tricky enough, or you could just solidify your future and build something of value.

This is simply awesome..... i compared their site to mine and i can say the difference is much oops

http://thewirecutter.com/masthead/
http://thesweethome.com/masthead/

It's not like it's one guy pumping out this content. It's a giant team.

Key point right here.

The difference between the guy making low 6 figures and the guy making 7+ figures yearly comes down to exactly this. One reinvests everything into his business to build the big team that can churn out content like this daily while living on as little as possible in the short term. The other spends the money when they get it.

This comes to mind specially this time of year when you can see many people setting themselves back for "Christmas fun money" at the cost of their business.

It reminds me of an important quote that in summary says, "Live like others won't so in the future you can live like others can't."

Yes, my key point was actually the pure quality in content, presentation, and monetization.

Take a good look. People seem to treat "authority content" like some kind of quick and easy way.. it isn't.
True authority content looks like this.

I urge you to make a folder for any niche you are in and save examples like this.

Back