Auction and Expired domain ranking at top after Aug Update

Degree
I noticed several websites (PBN type) started ranking at top without even single link to product review page.
Those domains are not even niche related. A domain related to politics and Gay/lesbian ranks for health product review keywords,

Anyone else noticing the same?

Anyone else noticing the same?

Yes, we're having an entire conversation on the topic here: What's your take on Google's Search Algorithm right now?

But in general, when you see this many updates occurring this fast to the core algorithm, there's always a window of time where nonsense ranks and spammers can slide up in the SERPs too. It never lasts too long, maybe a month or two. That window has gotten tighter and tighter in the past decade. Even with the first Penguins, you had the entire 6 to 12 months before they refreshed again. But now so much of these filters are rolling in real time that the window is very tight.

You have to also think about Google's content classifications. The further up a vertical you get, versus getting tightly niched down, there's a ton of overlap. Mental Health and Sexuality can be cross-classified as Health as well as Politics or Social Concerns, etc, as examples I just made up.

Just thought,I 'll put an update.

I bought an auction domain for $1.5k (It is not in my niche but a very strong one).

I put up 10-12 product review articles (no images,no optimization yet just done by my VA). After 2 weeks,it has started popping up in page 2 for few big keywords. #12-20.

Now, I am putting some effort to improve my content and see where it goes.

PS: I have tried 301 a similar domain to one of my sites before, it did not work.

Last edited:
I think it is time for an update. The site ranked at top (even top 3) for a while but again dropped back after ranking for around 5-6 months. It is still at page 1 bottom or page 2 top.

I noticed a similar pattern for many competitors as well. A certain site ranks like magic for few months before dropping back to page 2-3.

Any idea why this happens in context of Google's AI or recent changes?

PS: It is not like site is out of the map. So,it is not like Google gave some penalty. The site at top just another new auction domain. The cycle keeps repeating.

I think Freshness is heavily over-weighted right now, been saying that for about a year. So that's one factor. The other is, I think, just a matter of what they decide to do to the weightings during core updates.

My theory is that they'll purposefully rotate through different weightings of the variables that go into the algorithm. This keeps the algo appearing fresh, gives everyone a shot in the SERPs for a period of time and thus keeps webmasters engaged, and also frustrates spammers by moving the target around and then closing that window of opportunity before the algo can reward it due to the time delays that are cooked in.

I think Freshness is heavily over-weighted right now, been saying that for about a year.
Agree with this 100%. I would note that in my niches though, Google has definitely dialled it back somewhat. Around 2-3 months ago I would say a network of sites that would schedule reports of the exact same content with a new URL and therefore date (and redirect the old URL) dropped from #1/2 to #6 or below.

I think Freshness is heavily over-weighted right now, been saying that for about a year. So that's one factor. The other is, I think, just a matter of what they decide to do to the weightings during core updates.

My theory is that they'll purposefully rotate through different weightings of the variables that go into the algorithm. This keeps the algo appearing fresh, gives everyone a shot in the SERPs for a period of time and thus keeps webmasters engaged, and also frustrates spammers by moving the target around and then closing that window of opportunity before the algo can reward it due to the time delays that are cooked in.
Makes sense. I think freshness is only a part of it and "rotation of weightage" theory solves most of the puzzle.

I think it is time for an update. The site ranked at top (even top 3) for a while but again dropped back after ranking for around 5-6 months. It is still at page 1 bottom or page 2 top.

I noticed a similar pattern for many competitors as well. A certain site ranks like magic for few months before dropping back to page 2-3.

PS: It is not like site is out of the map. So,it is not like Google gave some penalty. The site at top just another new auction domain. The cycle keeps repeating.
How was your ROI on that site? I've seen those being successful with lower-competition keywords. I'm also considering biting the bullet and filling it up with textbroker-like content just to test. Hence the interest.

How was your ROI on that site? I've seen those being successful with lower-competition keywords. I'm also considering biting the bullet and filling it up with textbroker-like content just to test. Hence the interest.
I would say ROI is positive (but I almost overdid it) but do not forget opportunity cost. Results are dependent on niche and auction domain relevancy. But sometimes even remotely related domain works better than closely related ones.

I almost bought 10k worth of domains. One of the domain cost me 5k which is yet to break even. But 1-2k ones are doing okay. But,they hit saturation fast as it is hard to change its relevancy with new backlinks.

I would say do it as a side project if you have spare money. If it hits the sweet spot within 3-6 months and then ride the wave till next Core algo update!

Back