ASO has officially gone full-EIG.

Potatoe

BuSo Pro
Degree
Warning: Annoyed customer bitchy rant incoming... If you don't want to hear me whine about stuff that's partly my fault, skip this thread.

A Small Orange used to be an amazing host, and I got a bit worried when they were bought out by EIG but they actually managed to stay decent for a couple years. Now... they've just gone full EIG.

Their front-line support staff used to be able to help with anything, now you're getting a lower-tier support staff who can't help with anything besides creating a ticket for you to a different department that can actually help ("actually help", maybe.).

If you submit a support ticket, you're just getting somebody who creates a ticket for you unless you have a very, very basic problem. Their wait times also used to be non-existent, but it's been an hour+ lately...

Because all of the VPS servers were down for about a week (Not all of them were down this long, some went up sooner... then down again...) Mine was down for a full week, unable to get ahold of staff without waiting 1-2 hours just to get a canned response. No word on what data may have been compromised during that time.

They're sending me emails trying to sell Wordpress themes and "power-ups" and other nonsense.

They're phoning me and leaving voicemails trying to upsell server "power-ups". (Like, hey, let us change a setting to speed up your server! This isn't a server spec upgrade, it's some kind of software tweak or something as I understood. They used to do stuff like that for free, not a monthly fee.)

Their current cheapest server is more powerful than the one I've had for years, they don't automatically upgrade existing customers when they upgrade their offerings.

They're still billing me even tho I asked to cancel as soon as I get my sites transferred elsewhere (Billed me two weeks early for Feb - March). I can't transfer my sites elsewhere because my harddrive is full, and the front-line support staff can't upgrade me TO THE LESS EXPENSIVE PLAN that has twice as much storage without putting in a support ticket to the server admins, who haven't gotten around to my ticket in days... Because they're probabally busy with every other VPS customer who have been dealing with downtime since Christmas eve.

/rant. (I know some of that stuff could have been avoided if I was more diligent like not using all of my harddrive space so that I could backup + move more easily, or if I knew terminal so I could go in and delete the old backups that are taking up all that space myself without needing a support ticket to do so...)

It's just sad to see an awesome host finally go to shit. I stuck it out after they got bought by EIG, but from now on I'm bailing at the first sniff. I'll accept any shame or "Told ya so's" that are coming by way, I just wanted to get this off my chest.

I'll just leave this here.

Enter WiredTree...

Support is instant, the 1st person I talk to can always help, they automatically upgrade their servers for all customers - not just new ones, they're trying to help me transfer over (While ASO stalls the process), they are what ASO used to be, it seems like.

I'm over it now, but it felt good to get that off my chest.

EIG is the worst. They also reduced Hostgator's awesome factor by 50% at least.

I can't blame anyone though. If I was running a hosting service and some giant in the industry wanted my company and was willing to pay the right price, I'd sell too.

That's a shame with ASO. I was among their first customers waaay back in the day around 2002-20044 or so. I can't remember, but I chuckled because they were naming their severs after LOST characters, and I ended up getting on my top two favorite character's servers.

Back