Anyone watch MMA? My predictions for UFC 209

Degree
Hey guys. Anyone watch MMA? UFC 209 is tomorrow (March 4th) and I wanted to give my thoughts on the main event and the co-main event.

MAIN EVENT: TYRON WOODLEY VS. STEPHEN "WONDERBOY" THOMPSON
Their last fight was amazing. Fight of the year candidate for sure. One thing that everyone realized from that fight was the fact that Wonderboy is as tough as they come. The guy got rocked multiple times in that fight and was almost out of it. Yet, regained composure and began to pick Tyron apart with superior combos and kicks. Spectacular fight. Here's the full fight btw:

Although the first fight was a draw, I don't see the second fight going that way. I think that Tyron wins tomorrow. The first fight showed Wonderboy's weaknesses and Tyron will be less hesitant this time and go for the kill. I predict a Tyron Woodley victory by unanimous decision. However, if Tyron finishes the fight, it will be in the first round via TKO.

In their first fight, Tyron was able to take Wonderboy down in the first round and rained down vicious elbows and punches to Wonderboy's face that left Wonderboy a bloody mess. In the second fight, I predict that Tyron will have much more success with the takedown, not just in the first round, but throughout the entire fight. He will ground and pound his way to a UD victory. If he finishes, it will be in the earlier rounds when he is less tired. Probably round 1.

I could be way off though. I like to analyze both contenders. The way I see Wonderboy winning is by doing the same thing that he did in their first fight but taking less damage the second time around. He can easily win if he avoids the take down and keeps Tyron at bay while scoring points with superior striking. The sheer volume of strikes that Wonderboy throws is unbelievable and he needs to use this to win the fight.

But I have to go with Woodley for this one. Woodley via UD or early TKO.

CO-MAIN EVENT: KHABIB "THE EAGLE" NURMAGOMEDOV VS. TONY FERGUSON
I'm much more excited for this fight than the main event. Khabib is a savage. He has a record of 24-0 which in MMA is unheard of. The best MMA fighters have losses on their records. This isn't because they suck, it's just that from a logical standpoint, MMA is a sport where avoiding losing is something that is extremely hard to do.

Unlike boxing, where the only way to lose the fight is by getting knocked out or losing by points, MMA fighters have a lot more to worry about. You can lose by submission. And when it comes to submissions there are a million different ways to be submitted: rear naked choke, triangle choke, kimura, d'arce choke, bulldog choke, armbar, etc.

You can lose by strikes. And not just punch strikes. But elbows, kicks, and knees as well. You can also lose by grappling and wrestling. Someone with superior wrestling and grappling can use that to their advantage, take you down the entire fight, lay on top of you, do little damage, and it's still considered a win by the judges because the wrestler was more dominant throughout the fight.

So the fact that Khabib has never lost an MMA fight despite being inside of the cage 24 times is something that is respectable. The guy wrestled bears as a kid so to him it's probably nothing.
. Lol.

That being said, my prediction is that Tony Ferguson wins this fight via a unanimous decision or submission. As good as Khabib is, there is one flaw to him: he is a dominant wrestler/grappler. He ragdolls people, picks them up, throws them down, and beats them until the fight is stopped.

His standup is not that good.

In his last fight against Michael Johnson, sure he dominated and won, but he got cracked during the standup exchange. This exposed his weak standup game and unfortunately for him, Tony Ferguson is a master at unorthodox standup striking. Tony will hit you from anywhere and keep you at a distance. I think that he will avoid Khabib's takedown and wrestling and pick Khabib apart for 5 rounds to win the title.

If Tony finishes, it would be by catching Khabib off guard in a submission.

So yeah, Tony Ferguson by UD or submission.

I only follow fighters that are interesting to me. Among active fighters, I only follow Khabib. I think he is the best in his division. His grappling is just on another level. Not only grappling but the ability to close the distance and put pressure on his opponent. Talking about his week stand up because one hit that didn't do that much trouble is ridiculous. Tony can be dangerous with his elbows but he is not that much better boxer.

Khabib will close distance, take him down and beat him or make him tap. That's just my opinion.

Khabib was hospitalized and won't be fighting. Number 1 bullshit :(

Back