Anyone in Here in Recovery?

Syrinj

BuSo Pro
Degree
Hello all,

Anyone here in long-term recovery from drug addiction? I am. 6.75 years and counting. I've found that people who are highly dedicated to their recovery are among the most driven for the hustle, and the most highly skilled at networking out there; and I think a lot of the traits of recovery (and yes, addiction) have carryover into the hustle I see around me.

Barriers never stopped me from getting what I needed. Throwing away self-respect, relationships with others, among other things didn't faze me. Did I throw temper tantrums when I didn't get what I wanted? Fuck yes. All the time. But... I always got mine. Always. I fought tooth and nail to stay high.

In recovery, I had to accept the fact that the world doesn't give a fuck about me and nobody is coming to save me. I used to get high to escape this truth for so long. In recovery, I had to accept that life is rigged. Once I did (and started acting accordingly), I found that fact to be a GOOD thing (in my 12-step program, we call this "life on life's terms"). Knowing the what and how of it all is its own lifelong process, but in recovery, all that matters is learning about and building self because no matter who I'm with, what I do, or why I do it, I have to wake up as myself every morning.

For me, the biggest benefit of being in recovery after having been in active drug addiction is that the difference between (A) being an active participant in my own life and (B) excusing myself from all of that for a pipe/needle/bottle is that much more glaring for me than it is for someone without this night-and-day experience.

So my question to those of you who are successful in long-term recovery (or have successful friends or loved ones in recovery), does your experience/observation mirror mine? How did this night-and-day experience play into building you into the most successful version of yourself?

I have a brother that is a current addict.

I had 2 uncles I was close with as well that were addicts. They both died from complications from their addictions.

While I am not an addict myself, I feel that I know the pain and struggle very well.

I haven't really thought about them in regards to bettering myself all these years, I just kinda always had the drive. It could have all well been subconscious from watching and being around them and the misery it brought with it. Maybe I knew I didn't want to live that life and that just manifested into my drive to not sink down to that low.

Good to hear about your 6.75 years sober.

I've been there with coke, hit complete and utter rock bottom.

My best traits are also my worst, I'm an all or nothing kinda guy and never let anything get in my way and always get what I want..

So yes, addictive behaviour does and can cross over to be harnessed to better yourself.

I also believe I'm actually a better person for having hit rock bottom, 'seen/experienced' things most never will. Almost to the point I think I needed to go through it to be the better me.

Take the negitive life lesson and turn it into a positive driving force. That addictive drive resides within you, you've seen the dark and have the power to do anything to not return to it.

Back