anyone ever heard of DIYthemes "Thesis"?

Degree
https://diythemes.com/thesis/

It does look like its made for speed and seo.
Will this theme cause me problems later on because of the "thesis boxes" thing?
I'm not a developer so I thought I would ask you people who are much smarter than me:

Templates are simply HTML output patterns. If you examine any WordPress Theme in detail, you’ll notice a lot of repetition between various templates and template parts.

Because of this repetition, attempting to change one thing in a Theme often necessitates changes to many different templates.

This is inefficient, and it’s also grossly technical because it requires customizers to manually edit template files.

But as we saw with options, we can use patterns to gain leverage and make template management easier and more powerful.

One way to do this is to turn repetitive HTML into objects that can:
  • have unique properties
  • be edited and moved around
  • be repeated in multiple templates
Within Thesis, these HTML objects are known as Boxes.

Seems like an attempt to fix something that's not remotely broken. They're trying to convince the reader that Wordpress' template system sucks but it's really good, especially if you can understand the basic "if loop" and know how to use template partials.

But even if the current way sucked and was broken, it's already in the process of being "revolutionized" in a similar manner with the visual Gutenberg editor. Gutenberg is not going to stay as a content editor, but will become a WYSIWYG site designer too, complete with templates and "objects" aka blocks and reusable blocks and all that.

I think the page itself speaks for itself. They go out of their way to be verbose with jargon instead of showing you a bunch of pictures or even a video of the user experience. My guess is it's convoluted and unintuitive.

My guess is it's convoluted and unintuitive.
That’s exactly what it is, hah. I used it on one of my first sites. It was horrible.

For people that make a living online you guys seems to really want to go through great lengths to NOT learn basic html, css, JavaScript, and a programming language like php. It's not even difficult, you can Google 99% of your obstacles.

Here is some interesting backstory.

I know of this guy, sort of.

He grew up in my hometown of Louisville Kentucky. Back in the day I set up several meetings with this guy and he bailed on all of them. I just wanted to make a connection and maybe help on the project way back when, but he was always a no show wasting my time.

I mean, if you can't tell someone you can't make it, with a phone call or email.. more than once.. how do you treat other things in life?

Anyways, years later I see him in a beef with Matt Mullenweg of Wordpress/Automatic. They went back and forth with lawsuits and domain name squatting, but I think something else started the whole riff. I think it had to do with something along the lines of Thesis and Chris were violating the Wordpress license.

If I were to be honest, Chris always seemed like a dick to me. So I'm not surprised in the least about all that stuff with cybersquatting, violation of license, and lawsuits.

I used Thesis back in the day on a couple of websites before we had great Wordpress themes ( back in 2010 ) and it was just mediocre and very un-userfriendly. I ditched it and never looked back.

Back