Any Tool or Macro to Add Background and Drop Shadow to Screenshots Easily?

illmasterj

BuSo Pro
Degree
Some of my blog content uses screenshots. They can look pretty boring.

I'm seeing more and more like this

[broken image]

Is there a simple tool that can give my screenshot a nice background, drop shadow, and maybe a watermark? (yes I know I can do this manually, I'm wanting to save time/be able to delegate it easily).

After that product review update I was thinking a micro-SaaS that leverages a team of cheap VAs to mass-customize images would be something I'd consider paying for. Imagine a bunch of it can be automated but for product reviews would be nice to have human review at the minimum, perhaps some options too in terms of background color options, texture, text addition, watermarking, and heck for hero images maybe light photoshop work.

Or if color and a watermark are all it takes, I think Diggity eluded to this in one of his recent vids..

I have a similar process for featured images that I have a VA doing perfectly without fail (albeit one that knows Photoshop and can make decisions by himself).

Basically all they need to do is open the pre-made Photoshop project and drag and drop the new image into the right layer.

You could easily have it so they can choose which colors for the background radiant, and any dummy could add the drop shadow.

Unless they all have the exact same background I think you'd have a hard time automating it, especially if there are sometimes one image and sometimes two images like your photo above. The less variance there, the easier it would be to have done by a VA or even by a macro by dumping the images in a folder and having it run over all the images in the folder.

Surely there's some kind of tool that exists out there. It's a great idea. I know with MacOS you can take screenshots of specific windows and it'll automatically add the drop shadow with a transparent background. That could speed things up a bit.

If I want to do a task like:
  1. Create a 800x800px canvas
  2. Import image on top, resize and center
  3. Add logo in top right corner depending on a user input
Would that be easier to do with Photoshop Actions or something like Imagemagick?

A script for Photoshop?

Last edited:
I've been experimenting with this using ChatGPT to write code to overlay images with logos and here's a tip for everyone using it to write code: Make sure to specify operating system, versions of software, programming version etc, or else you're going to be in trouble.

I initially attempted to get ChatGPT to write a python.fu script for GIMP, which should have worked, but didn't because it hung all the time when opening images from a prompt. Not when hardcoded, but ChatGPT was not able to solve this. 4 might be able, but 3.5 is too stupid, and you run out of allotted prompts quickly.

I then attempted to fix it using Python and Pillow, which did work, but ran into version and OS issues again. I do think the Pillow library can do a lot of things like this.

If I want to do a task like:
  1. Create a 800x800px canvas
  2. Import image on top, resize and center
  3. Add logo in top right corner depending on a user input
Would that be easier to do with Photoshop Actions or something like Imagemagick?

A script for Photoshop?
ImageMagick or any other image manipulation library can do this.

ImageMagick or any other image manipulation library can do this.

I would prefer this task to be done in GIMP or Photoshop, but couldn't get it done in GIMP, at least not without having to really try to understand it.

Back