Any SEO's use Google Drive?

Degree
I've always been hesitant to use Google Drive with anything related to SEO. After checking out their TOS, talking to people who host pirated content there, and getting fed up with how crappy Dropbox is, I might take the plunge because it's looking pretty safe. It is kind of wacky to think that web spam team and Google Drive team are sharing enough data or browsing.

My concern wouldn't just be what they're doing / can do today in terms of cross-referencing things, but rather what they could do in the future if they decide to change their terms. I don't use Google Drive tho, but it's not because of SEO... I just have brand loyalty to iCloud after the fappening.

If you're concerned about privacy and all, might be worth checking out Mega (https://mega.nz/).
It's Kim Dotcom's latest creation after his debacle with MegaUpload. If you create an account, you get 50GB for free and there's paid plans for up to 4TB in storage.

I wouldn't trust Google Drive if you're planning on sharing docs and what not with info which Google might consider dodgy.

@Postmortis, I trust Mega.nz way less than Google Drive. Not just them, but gov taking down anything. Luckily I didn't lose anything from that last seizure but I heard of people who did.

It seems once something is 'shared' (made public) on Google Drive all they're really scanning/checking for is copyright. There's a lot of mental jumping to think they would be 1) grabbing that data and 2) then being able to use that data (like it's actually useful) to help with web spam.

Google works in completely divided departments that meet up on a schedule to exchange ideas. We don't know if this data is worth grabbing or if it would be easy enough for them to do that. Google just started doing these big group meetings in the last few years and a big point was just design/ux.

People said the same thing about Gmail never being cross-used.

What is it that you don't like about Dropbox?

Maybe I'm missing something with Gmail but that's scanned for completely different data too.

Dropbox constantly gets syncing errors for me, the Desktop version is a nightmare for any of these VPS's or my local machine bandwidth wise too if everything is being synced. Google Drive provides an online/offline version too which is helpful if I don't want anything taking up space but i still need to access it.

If you're concerned about privacy and all, might be worth checking out Mega (https://mega.nz/).
It's Kim Dotcom's latest creation after his debacle with MegaUpload. If you create an account, you get 50GB for free and there's paid plans for up to 4TB in storage.

I wouldn't trust Google Drive if you're planning on sharing docs and what not with info which Google might consider dodgy.
It used be safe when Dotcom was leading the company. Soon after Mona took over the company (as in just getting dividents from it), most of the shares (>50%) were purchased by a Chinese company.

Dotcom himself said he wouldn't trust mega with his own files.

I used OneDrive to collaborate on a client' PBN once, which we kept all the details to in an Excel file. Basically because of the same things you're worried about with Google Drive and experiencing with Dropbox @juliantrueflynn and those PBN's are still going strong from what I hear :cool:

I've only used google drive/docs for high value backlinks, and even though it is a footprint for google to see it is one that I want them to see, plus it's dofollow so I like it for that.
But other than that I wouldn't use it for things like sharing seo work or keywords with clients, One can only trust google so much after all

Unless your scared Google is watching your every move and you have your PBN listed on Google drive, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Back