Anchor Matching Author

Degree
Random question, probably.

Let's say a marketer was marketing their site, and a percentage of all incoming links was their name (John Smith).

Speaking strictly towards organic ranking, would it matter, either way, if the author of the post was listed as (John Smith) or (admin)? Or no author at all?

My assumption is no, but it begs the question... why would a site about widgets have 5-10% of its links be a name, not the name/brand of the widget?

Might be overthinking, but thought I'd post it out there for your thoughts.

It could be beneficial for organic rankings, but mostly in the sense that the name would be linked to the site, but it definatly can't hurt the site.
It would be most beneficial if the authors name is something not to normal.
And on a side note it could have positive benefits if the author is listed as "author name" and has built an entety stack with the average knowem kind of links, and an author schema mark up on the actual site.
But in the overall organic perspective it isn't what I would be spending most my time on, but still worth doing I would say.

I don't think you'll have any problem with generic name anchors, especially if it's a ton of the same name or variations on it.

As far as the author account being "John Smith" or "Admin," just make it John Smith. Why not, and you might get some search traffic, since you're building enough anchors like that people might start to get to know the name.

Google killed their authorship stuff, but that doesn't mean you can't set up Schema to include the author name still to help assuage any fears or possibly help.

It's not anything to worry about. It could be something to take advantage of, but what that is, I'm unsure of.

Back