Amazon Buttons and Price

Degree
Hi, I post this here because I can't post it elsewhere :tongue: (I'm new, you can find out more in this post)

In my amazon affiliate site, i'm using buttons to drive people to amazon. The "check price" "see price" etc type

But I always have the doubt if it would be better to show the price on the page itself.

Pros of showing the price:
- Visitors can compare on the site and decide there, vs having to click each product. If they click 1 product and think is too expensive they may leave not knowing that there was a cheaper option.
- More transparency?
- I can show "discounts" in my site

Cons of showing the price:
- Fewer visitors to Amazon because they don't need to go there to check the price. When they check the price on Amazon they may not buy, but the cookie is placed, if they shop in the next 24hs I get the commission

Any more thoughts?

I was thinking about testing this. But first I would love to hear your thoughts and if anyone has tested it before then please share!

Thanks!

I believe it's technically against Amazons TOS to show a price on the page which isn't the same as the price on Amazon, so if they ever update the price and yours is different you will technically be breaking their terms of service.

Will you get banned? Almost certainly not. But I have seen this reason used to ban people before. Just be careful.

Pros of showing the price:
- Visitors can compare on the site and decide there, vs having to click each product. If they click 1 product and think is too expensive they may leave not knowing that there was a cheaper option.
- More transparency?
- I can show "discounts" in my site

Cons of showing the price:
- Fewer visitors to Amazon because they don't need to go there to check the price. When they check the price on Amazon they may not buy, but the cookie is placed, if they shop in the next 24hs I get the commission

I would imagine it would be different for every site. If your site visitors have been researching a product for quite some time, they will probably behave differently than visitors who have never heard of product X and are curious.

Listing the price for transparency -- If you're doing pros and cons of multiple products you can probably say, "This was the most affordable of the 4 options when this article was first posted, but visitors should check for price changes."

Personally, I like the "check price" strategy much better. Amazon is so popular that you've got a good chance they will order something in 24 hours and you'll get credited.

Oh, another idea -- if listing prices is pretty important, another way for you to encourage clicks is to include link/button to the review page. View The Most Recent Verified Purchase Reviews -->
And that might get you some extra clicks.

Amazon won't let you "hard list" prices, but using the API isn't hard at all - http://webservices.amazon.com/scratchpad/index.html - you can pretty easily retrieve basic product info from Amazon like images with links, product titles, and links to customer reviews.

I believe it's technically against Amazons TOS to show a price on the page which isn't the same as the price on Amazon, so if they ever update the price and yours is different you will technically be breaking their terms of service.

Will you get banned? Almost certainly not. But I have seen this reason used to ban people before. Just be careful.
Yeah, its definitely against TOS. In fact, I'm pretty sure its against the TOS to list a price (even if it is accurate) that hasn't been retrieved (live) through an API call. Also, fun fact -- its against TOS to list "free" because they count "free" as a price.

The big websites like The Wire Cutter are pretty lax about hard listing prices and breaking other TOS. Quite a few other sites are too and haven't been banned. And then you've got small mum blogs that do it as well. But, sites do get banned for it. Or at least, that is Amazon's excuse. I'm always going to opt for safe > sorry.

You can use Amazon API combined with Wordpress plugins (EasyAzon does, correct me if I'm wrong here) to show prices live via their api.
Also, using Amazon native ads allows you to show prices.
If you dont want to mess with those two, you can use some of these:
- Check Price on Amazon
- Check Amazon Pricing
- Check Amazon Reviews
- See User Reviews

I find that these convert very well, and Amazon is so good at selling that once they land there, chances are that they will end up buying something.

Something to keep in mind, a lot of people told me that it is against their TOS to mention deals, for example "Get lowest price" or "Check Amazon Deals" , but I'm still to confirm this. :smile:

Thanks Nemanja!

I will try with some "see reviews" or similar in the middle of the reviews

Back