Amazon Associates "Hack"

Degree
I am suggesting some specific products, and my hypothesis is that I can increase my conversion rates and extend my cookie life from 24 hours to 90 days for a specific product added to a visitors cart. So instead of having a click here to vie this product on Amazon link, I want a button that automatically adds a product to a users cart, as if they had clicked the 'Add to Cart' button on Amazon's page.

I did some searching online, and found the following code to add to my wordpress site:

HTML:
<form method="GET" action="https://www.amazon.com/gp/aws/cart/add.html">
<input type="hidden" name="AWSAccessKeyId" value="Access Key ID" /><br/>
<input type="hidden" name="AssociateTag" value="Associate Tag" /><br/>
<p>One Product<br/>
ASIN:<input type="text" name="ASIN.1"/><br/>
Quantity:<input type="text" name="Quantity.1"/><br/>
<p>Another Product<br/>
ASIN:<input type="text" name="ASIN.2"/><br/>
Quantity:<input type="text" name="Quantity.2"/><br/>
</p>
<input type="submit" name="add" value="add" />
</form>

But when I add it, I get a form that looks like this
VTw6LdP.png

Instead of an output that would look like this

buy-at-amazon.png

What am I doing wrong with my code, and what are your thoughts on the above strategy? Anyone tried it?

It's a crappy tactic to employ. If you want people to buy stuff, learn to sell stuff or target traffic that is ready to buy stuff. You're wasting time looking for shortcuts to make a few fast bucks when you should be learning how to market your website properly.

Thanks for the response @Calamari - assuming I am marketing my website properly and I am seeking to plug conversion leaks would you recommend the strategy then?

I would not. I realize you're not costing the consumer anything but it's still a sneaky tactic since you are adding it to their cart without their permission or knowledge.

There's nothing wrong with that HTML form. It's doing exactly what I would expect. Does Amazon not provide a cart button in the associates backend?

It's a crappy tactic to employ. If you want people to buy stuff, learn to sell stuff or target traffic that is ready to buy stuff. You're wasting time looking for shortcuts to make a few fast bucks when you should be learning how to market your website properly.

I wish I could hit the "like" button x100 on this reply :wink:

If you spend the time creating content better for the visitor than your competitors you won't have to waste time thinking about or trying to implement these bogus "hacks".

They do @Ryuzaki ... I was trying to figure out something else though. Thanks all for the replies. I think I have my answer!

@Asad did you took this exact button from their "affiliate central"? If not, you better remove it, because they ban for using custom buttons (with their logo on them) and any of their brands logos, copyrighted phrases and so on. You should only use their ugly buttons that they provide in the associate center, plain text links or custom buttons that does not display any of their logos.

Thanks for the heads up @MeEatBrains ...didnt know that. Definitely just stopped what I was doing to replace all those buttons!

This sounds interesting Asad, I'll have a play around and see what i can come up with.

the problem with IM is that sometimes when people say its crappy immoral or wrong it turns out to be a highly effect method.

Interesting, do they have an issue with using the Amazon font awesome icon in a custom css button? Because I've got a lot of buttons that say "Price Check <i class="fa fa-amazon" aria-hidden="true"></i>"

Unless it's supplied by Amazon I wouldn't customize it. Amazon is very clear about this in their policies.

https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/help/operating/policies

4. You may display an Amazon Mark only in the exact format in which we provide it to you. You may not alter any Amazon Mark in any manner. For example, you cannot change the proportion, color, or font of any Amazon Mark, or add or remove any elements from any Amazon Mark.

Reactions: Nat
@Nat, ^^ this
I would stay away from using custom stuff. I've seen many sites doing it and flying under the radar, but if I were you, I would play it safe as much as I can.

Back