Amazon affiliate links

Degree
Just builing my first amazon affiliate site. Not really to get rich, but to learn.

I am using wordpress CMS and haven't found a method to really quickly import amazon affiliate links. It is taking way more time than I thought it would. Anyone have any advice on this topic? Cutting and pasting from amazon is slow. Any plugins that people trust?

Thanks

I'm curious about this too! It's so annoying to dig through Amazon's big HTML code to try to find just the link. *infomercial* THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY!!

You guys should be placing those manually and carefully in places where they are likely to get clicked.

I use the Amazon Link plugin. https://wordpress.org/plugins/amazon-link/
It's just adds a box at the bottom of the new post page (image below). You can do all sorts of amazon inserts rather quickly. Just enter the item ID, the type of link you want (text, image, ad) and it puts its in you post.

It works for a good 80% of what I need. Anything more and I just use the tools on the Amazon Associates website.

OpKnL9m.png

You guys should be placing those manually and carefully in places where they are likely to get clicked.

I definitely want to place them manually still, it would just be nice if there was a slightly easier way to grab the links rather than going through Amazon's tool thing and having to pick out the code from HTML (Although Im still struggling with html so I'm sure its much easier for anyone that can look at the code and instantly understand what they're seeing haha)

try Easy Azon. I've used it a couple of times and it's working pretty well + there's a localization feature which is sweet

I would suggest checking out EasyAzon too. You can search and add links within Wordpress and includes localization too, works well for me. Another option worth checking out is Thirsty Affiliates, it's free and there are paid add-ons for localization and stats too. I've not tried it myself though.

It shouldn't really be much of a time consuming problem - 30 seconds and you're done.

Adding Amazon affiliate links is usually the final step after completing your product review, or whatever piece of content you're looking to monetize.

Simply search for the product on your Amazon associate account and click the "Get Link" drop down.

There's no need for digging through code to find the link or messing around with any of Amazon's widgets. Embed the link into a button, image or an anchored hyperlink on your site.

azon_screen.png

Plugins are useful but I'm always concerned that the plugin may not get updated or could end up screwed up in some way, messing with your links. I prefer to just take the time to set up and check my affiliate links manually.

Do you guys cloak your affiliate links or just straight link to the product with the affiliate id?

I just found the Amazon Link Engine plugin. It works with GeoRiot. Basically it makes are your existing amazon links affiliate links based on the affiliate code you give them. It is all done through their API.

They make their money on localization. So if one of your prospects is from germany and clicks your link it takes them to the .de amazon page. GeoRiot gets 15% of your foreign clicks. You keep 100% of your US conversions. Seems like a no-brainer to me since you get all the US conversions and I wouldn't really be targeting these foreign markets or doing the work to localize those links anyway.

So far installation and use has been seamless.

Do you guys cloak your affiliate links or just straight link to the product with the affiliate id?

According to amazon cloaking is not allowed (it's in their TOS), you could but you can put your account at risk

According to amazon cloaking is not allowed (it's in their TOS), you could but you can put your account at risk

Ah, I see. What about if it's not amazon though? I read Jacob Kings post about cloaking aff links and he seemed to think it was essential to do so and I was wondering what your or anyone else's thoughts were on the matter?

Ah, I see. What about if it's not amazon though? I read Jacob Kings post about cloaking aff links and he seemed to think it was essential to do so and I was wondering what your or anyone else's thoughts were on the matter?
In fact, only IM / SEO / tech folks know how affiliate link looks, how it works, what is it at all, why is it 'bad' and how to distinguish. If you go after broad audience, like mommas, lose weight'ers etc. etc., they don't have a clue and don't give a damn, if this an aff link or not.

Of course if you are selling some SEO WSO, or run an IM blog, you'd better cloak the links. But otherwise - relax and enjoy another dimension of freedom!

In fact, only IM / SEO / tech folks know how affiliate link looks, how it works, what is it at all, why is it 'bad' and how to distinguish. If you go after broad audience, like mommas, lose weight'ers etc. etc., they don't have a clue and don't give a damn, if this an aff link or not.

Of course if you are selling some SEO WSO, or run an IM blog, you'd better cloak the links. But otherwise - relax and enjoy another dimension of freedom!

Thanks for the input, nope I'm not targeting our group at all :smile:

I haven't used amazon links on any of my sites for a while because I got penalized and my rankings slapped really hard for using them. How often are you guys using these links? Any issues with ranking drops due to usage?

Is this true? What about pretty links?

Pretty Links included, I think, for 2 reasons:
  1. Your users have to know they are clicking over to Amazon
  2. Amazon has to know where the traffic is coming from
Pretty Links doesn't harm #2 but it is a grey area for #1.

@Golan is right, in my mind, though. There's honestly no need. If someone wants to go through the effort of copy and pasting the URL without your aff-id, they are the same nuts that'll clear their cookies just to keep you from getting paid. I wouldn't worry about them. Most people not only wouldn't care but aren't even going to look, and if they do, won't even know what the info is.

be ready to sell because if your aff account goes to long without a sale, it will be turned off.

Back