Amazing Marvin to-do list free at AppSumo

Potatoe

BuSo Pro
Degree
AppSumo's current freebie is a to-do list called Amazing Marvin.

https://appsumo.com/amazing-marvin/

I've been using it for a couple days, and there are a few little nuances that I really like. I was tracking my time for a month recently and was wishing the app I was using was more like Amazing Marvin, before I knew this existed, so it was cool to see it show up a couple of months later.

I don't know how unique it is from some of the other offerings out there, but I like how it's very light, clean and simple with some decent customizations and time-tracking built-in.

It's probably not good for teams, or complex projects and what-not, but for a simple "What am I going to do today", I've been really enjoying it.

The "Strategies" section is cool, I like how you can get a random task from your to-do list to help you bust through analysis paralysis. I also like having a big bank of things that need to get done, and then dragging and dropping them into your calendar.

Their roadmap looks really promising, too. This is a 1 year trial, but if they knock off some of these things I'll probably re-up.

If you try it out, let me know what you think. If you know something way better, let me know about that too :D

Last edited:
I took a look - I've been using Trello for this for a while. It works OK but would be nice to get rid of my extremely long to do list to focus on today's work.

I'd hoped to import from Trello to give it a good trial but it seems to be the one system that they don't have support for.

I used to use Google Inbox and reminders/snoozing. Was perfect for me and only one app for email + to do etc

Now they got rid of Inbox (and reminders) and I need to email myself stuff to do and then snooze it. One extra step which is damn annoying but still better than all the other clients and solutions I have tried.

One Chrome tab for all this is key for me.

I use Asana and is quite happy with that, but I'll look into it.

I also tried Dynalist since Authority Hackers had been pushing it heavily. It's good, but limited.

What I really want is complete integration, actually complete embedding of various tools. Now that would be cool. I want to go to Google Docs in an iframe in Asana, pull in a Dynalist etc, get Google Search Console right there. I know various tools to connect stuff exists, but someone should build an easy to use interface for marketers on top of it.

I also saw the Amazing Marvin email, which led me down the rabbithole into different productivity apps. I ended up settling for www.todoist.com for the following reasons:
  • I can have an overview of urgent and high-priority tasks across 2-3 different projects. The app can filter all my tasks by priority (which is my main reason for switching away from OneNote).
  • They have the best natural language input - the less I have to click to add a task, the happier I am.
  • Fast, smooth, and intuitive web & mobile apps.
  • It's free for everything I need.
I couldn't find the "filter all tasks by priority" feature in Marvin, and didn't quite get the interface either. That's also why I didn't test their productivity strategies, but it seemed confusing with so many different ones in one place. The app's also $12/month after the free year runs out. Which is worth it if the app helps you get more things done, but I'm skeptical of the "self-improvement" side of it. I also like to keep things simple whenever possible.

I also tried www.clickup.com (free up to 100mb) who people usually recommend as an alternative to Todoist. Clickup is more powerful, and I'd probably use it if I was working with a team. They're competing with Trello and Asana, and really you have all the features that you could possibly want. For me, the downsides of Clickup were that (1) it's not as smooth as Todoist, (2) their mobile app is in beta and currently unusable, (3) adding tasks involves more clicking than in Todoist.

Last edited:
I used to live in Outlook.

Don't laugh - thing had everything. Tasks, notes, appointments, mail... And it synced BEAUTIFULLY with a Palm.

No other company got the sync right - not even M$ themselves.

Now... now I am just fuxored.

Omnitask is great if a little pricey. It's a bit like todoist but more polished. There's no web interface, it's Mac only but the hacked together android app does work well now. It's good but not for everybody.

Just wanted to update this thread quickly, I'm loving this.

It starts off dead-simple, and then you can add in one feature at a time based on how you like to use it. It took me a few days to get a feel for it but now it's natural. There's a list of dozens and dozens of features that you can activate, or just leave them off and keep things clean and simple.

I wish more apps did this, being able to hide stuff I'm never going to use is such a nice touch. I really like their onboarding process for new users, if you make software it might be useful to take a peek at how they go about it.

You can switch between all of the popular productivity style views like kanban, etc.

It's still free for a year. If you have something you really like already, there's no point, but if you've been looking for that unicorn and haven't found it yet - this might be it!

I'm just excited to have found something that works perfectly for me, I'm not affiliated with them at all.

It starts off dead-simple, and then you can add in one feature at a time based on how you like to use it. It took me a few days to get a feel for it but now it's natural. There's a list of dozens and dozens of features that you can activate, or just leave them off and keep things clean and simple.
I also wanted to update this actually, because I discovered that Marvin can emulate other apps. So all the Todoist praise I wrote on my post here... Well, Marvin has a Todoist mode and many others too. I was just too stupid to find the button to add this feature. Anyway, to set things straight, Marvin does seem to be one of the best productivity apps around currently.

I also tried www.clickup.com (free up to 100mb) who people usually recommend as an alternative to Todoist. Clickup is more powerful, and I'd probably use it if I was working with a team. They're competing with Trello and Asana, and really you have all the features that you could possibly want. For me, the downsides of Clickup were that (1) it's not as smooth as Todoist, (2) their mobile app is in beta and currently unusable, (3) adding tasks involves more clicking than in Todoist.

I am testing it too, I think is more powerful than Asana (I am using only free version), but also I feel is a bit too complicated for simple tasks

Back