Am I the only one done with Google?!

Degree
and then go ahead and build another site lol

I hate the lack of transparency Google has with it's updates, and when there are no reason why a site tanks during an update, drives me crazy. But then I get back on the horse and continue building a site banking on Google organic traffic.

Am I the only one that goes through this emotional roller-coaster?

Hi Mate.

I understand your emotional roller-coaster. I think that if we only depend on SEO and Google we are doomed. We need to start thinking as Digital Marketers instead of only SEO. As the man himself @CCarter as said many times we should spend more time promoting our content outside google than creating content and optimizing it for SEO purposes. We should start seeing results in weeks maximum, actively promoting our site/content instead of months praying to the SERP Gods without seeing a single dollar of revenue.

Good luck mate.

Am I the only one that goes through this emotional roller-coaster?

I think this is a pretty common experience. It's similar to tilting in poker. Good thing tilting in SEO isn't something that will ruin your gains in one day unless you go and buy thousands of dollars worth of spam links!

I don't really get this feeling anymore, though I had a few rough days earning wise, and I feel it. I get anxious, irritated and so on. Which reminds me I need to be more financially secure in general, but that is not to do with Google, but with me.

I am actually quite dispassionate about Google.

I realise there will be always be websites ranking in Google and that could just as well be me as the other guy. Then it's just a matter of objectively looking at what the competition does and what you do and then trying to make it happen.

I've had a couple literal traumatic experiences with Google tanking my projects back in the day, probably 10 years ago now. Both were my fault, doing things I knew would come back and bite me. I didn't act surprised when it happened, but it took me to literal ground zero.

Now that I've got several authority sites going that are all white hat projects that don't skirt the line very far when it comes to things like link building, I've stopped being concerned about updates.

Yes, there's times where I get a +/- 10% increase or decrease in traffic, but the projects are doing well enough that it's inconsequential. And it cycles around. You end up with a -5% and then get a +5% later. In the mean time you're growing and making up the differences anyways.

Google is pretty stable these days. They aren't whacking us with new mystery animals any more. The real problem is them encroaching on more and more SERP real estate, but that's not something we can do anything about except call our congressmen.

If I ever get taken to ground zero again, for some unknown future reason like a Zebra update that decides something Google previously condoned is now bad, I'll just move to PPC now that I have a sizable war chest. This entire game will change fundamentally to the point where ultimately it'll be unrecognizable. Get it while the getting is good!

My frustration with Google comes in cycles, mostly through impatience that things aren't happening quickly enough. It disappears soon enough though, there is endless opportunity online and there's always something new to keep it interesting. Moving to more white hat strategies takes a lot of the stress away, you don't have a panic attack every time you see some flux in your rankings!

I understand your point of view. It's hard to spend hours and hours on a project and see it sink into SERPS. But it's part of the game.

It's important (and complicated) not to get carried away by emotions, not to get frustrated and stay focused. This applies to Google changes, a setback in business and life in general. If you have the knowledge and strategy, keep going while others get frustrated and quit.

To mitigate the impact of an algorithm change, an strategy is to have more than one project in the same niche. Several, in fact. So, if one site temporarily drops into the serps, the rest continue to bring some traffic. But that depends a lot on the niche, and type of business of course.

(sorry if my English is not very good, it's not my native language)

Google is still the best choice to get free traffic. Over half of my agency's revenue comes from SEO. However, it's important to diversify your marketing plan and not rely on one thing because yes, Google algo changes can sink rankings quickly. But don't give up. Just don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

It's important (and complicated) not to get carried away by emotions, not to get frustrated and stay focused. This applies to Google changes, a setback in business and life in general. If you have the knowledge and strategy, keep going while others get frustrated and quit.
(sorry if my English is not very good, it's not my native language)

This is a big part of it. Just showing up when others don't. Or even if others do as well, it's not really about the others but about the person in the mirror. Just bloody hard to not compare oneself to others all the time.

Imagine having a site where you keep pushing it for 2-3 years... every week 2-3 new posts, links... steady grind, bound to work, but how many can do it?

I know I couldn't keep it up and regret it to this day :D

Your English is great!

Back