Alpha Redefined with a Guerrilla Mindset - Thoth Intro

Degree
Hello all. I found BuilderSociety a couple of weeks ago and have been reading and searching the forum a lot. It's so much better than every other internet marketing forum. You guys are also smarter and further along than all of the blogs and forums and social media posters too. I'm afraid I'll be a question asker more than anything else, but maybe my questions will help other beginner lurkers that don't really understand a lot of what's being talked about yet.

I'm mainly interested in SEO. I know there's a bigger world out there and more tactics, but I have to start somewhere and this is what dragged me into this universe.

My story so far is that I've studied for a few months (I read the BuilderSociety Crash Course last week). A lot of that time was wasted, looking at bottom of the barrel stuff like link spam. Then I shook that off and focused more on general site building and on-page SEO. I've bought five domains, installed Wordpress on a few of them, realized a couple were stupid "chasing a squirrel" moves, and installed a theme on one and started customizing it. I wrote a couple of posts too but I think its way too tiny of a niche to spend a lot of effort on.

I'm itching to put this stuff into action, and I'm glad I found a place that is welcoming and answers questions in depth. I'd bet that you guys get a lot of newbies asking really stupid questions. I'm a newbie but I'm not dumb. I need some professional opinions on a few things and I'll be getting started on a brand new project with a case study too.

Right now I've seen the seedy underbelly of SEO in the form of black hat link spam. I've also seen the pristine and angelic purity of the white hat authority site people. There's a part of me that thinks the truth is somewhere in between. My questions will be me trying to navigate between those ideologies and getting feedback so I'm not wasting my short time on this planet (I have to go back to Mars soon).

Thanks for all the typing you all have done on this forum so far. There's a lot to go through and I'll try to search before I ask repeat questions.

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
My story so far is that I've studied for a few months...

....Right now I've seen the seedy underbelly of SEO in the form of black hat link spam. I've also seen the pristine and angelic purity of the white hat authority site people.
Hello,

You've made the right choice to choose BuSo. You won't find a better place to learn anywhere on the internet, guaranteed.

One advice I want to give you is to forget about black hat, white hat, do not even use that terminology, forget about it entirely. It's a wrong road to go down and link spamming or even PBNs is definitely not something most people should learn. It's an expensive, capital intensive, way to learn SEO and earn, and it will not teach you other marketable skills.

I would recommend on content creation, webdesign and UX design. Then focus your linkbuilding on creating shareable content and doing outreach.

I would also recommend Income School on Youtube to get into a good mindset of what you want to learn as the basics: keyword research, content production and conversion optimization (UX).

You might begin to consider the benefits of PBNs vs outreach vs other linkbuilding methods, but only once you've actually learned how to do keyword research and ranking for long tail keywords.

Good luck!

Ryuzaki

女性以上のお金
Staff member
BuSo Pro
Digital Strategist
Degree
Hi, @Thoth. I've gone down every SEO rabbit hole there is, from trashy bulk spam to giant PBNs to smaller luxury PBNs to 100% white hat projects.

I'm going to agree with you that the truth does lie somewhere in-between, but not in the way you may think. If 0% is pure black hat and 100% is pure white hat, I'd say the most effective and reality based approach lies around 85%.

Projects should start at the 100% mark and stay there until they're mature and solidified. Once you get a certain amount of trust and age, you can start to get away with some gray tactics that are closer to the white side of things. It's not that you should, but that you will. You'll start becoming the site that PBN users link to to hide the fact that they're also linking to their own sites. You'll get tons of automated trash links over time. You may even get a ton of spam from negative SEO campaigns. And you'll survive them all and benefit from them. And then you'll start to see what you can get away with and possibly exploit some of that strategically.

Not to mention that every link that you build for your own site is against "the rules," so when you start doing real marketing, which requires dropping links around at times to start the snowball, you just did some things against the Google guidelines.

Anyways, the real move is to do like @bernard says: build good sites and good content and attract good links. Those links will be better than anything else you can get ahold of (but you'll use some of these too strategically and minimally).

Degree
@bernard - Thanks. I won't be building PBNs. I don't have the budget to focus on that. Any extra money I'd use on paying writers for more content. One thing I'm not doing is trying to design a site either or even heavily customize a theme. I'm going to use a widely adopted theme that gets updated constantly that's fast and not flashy. Flashy can come from the photos I use. It doesn't have to reinvent the web. Simple is better so I can focus on what matters: content and getting links. Hopefully the technical SEO will be fine from day one and stay that way.

@FrankCertain - I'm not that same person. I've never heard of IMGlory.

@Ryuzaki - That makes sense that we all end up somewhere below the 100% mark, not by our own choice. It also makes sense to buy a link here or there when you need one, especially after you've done a million guest posts and gotten other real links. Once you're safe, you're safe, it seems.

bernard

BuSo Pro
Degree
It could be a good idea to start with an expired domain with backlinks. That would help a lot in seeing some returns. There are lots of discussion on how to do that here.

Degree
Hey @Thoth, welcome to the forum - I'm a fellow newbie myself so it's really nice to see others in a similar position to me.

I wrote a couple of posts too but I think its way too tiny of a niche to spend a lot of effort on.
Do you think this could be a niche where you start really granularly and then expand out?

Degree
Do you think this could be a niche where you start really granularly and then expand out?
This is what I'll be doing next. The problem with the first batch of domains is that they're too niche down to the micro level. The domain names themselves stop me from expanding outward. Beginner's mistake.

It could be a good idea to start with an expired domain with backlinks. That would help a lot in seeing some returns. There are lots of discussion on how to do that here.
Until I can afford one with a lot of good links with a decent actual domain name, I'll probably use the money on content. I don't want to get one with 30 links with a name that will barely make sense. That's how all of the cheap ones I see are. I'd rather create a new brand then end up with Laptop-Store3rdStreet.net just because it has some links. I wish I could afford the nice ones though.

secretagentdad

Keyword Sheeter - The Bestest Keyword Tool
BuSo Pro
Degree
100% white hat is where its at.

Fuck the haters.

Also, screw diversity. Being good at seo is just fine.
If you're competitively minded and good at reading its the best niche.
Its a hard specialization but the reward is amazing access to digital rent.
It's also way more fun to do things with visible leader-boards than without.

Big Daddy Google isnt as mean as most people make them out to be.
Just weird and hoop jumpy.